Outdated FAQ Thread #1

Eder

Mr. Standoff
Can't get it to run? Can't figure something out? Maybe it's a known issue, so drop by this thread and ask your question, and we will promptly help you.

Please, no long winded off-topic discussions on this thread, let's try to keep it helpful.

This isnt a problem just a question. Whenever I get a lens flare, there are crosshairs in each flare, like positioning points. Is there any way to get rid of this? Othe than that the game is AWESOME!!!! Great Work.

That is a texel alignment problem that the engine has (even WCP has that problem in Direct3D mode). I've tried to fix it but have had little success so far. Hopefully I will figure out what's wrong and fix it in time for episode 2.

Well it works fine on Windows XP Professional in 16 bit mode. Except for just the lense flairs and the audio doesnt quite lip sync quite right...but that's ok.

Couldn't get 32 bit mode to run. The 32 bit patch is included Standoff right. So it's prolly that it just doesnt like my card, an ATI X600 128 Mb. On my old machine, UE didn't like it's ATI card for 32 bit mode either.

Looks good so far. :)

About the lens flare thing - it's actually quite easy to fix (too bad I forgot about this while we were working on the FAQ), but the fix might screw up the graphics in other games. Just go into your graphics card properties, open up the Direct 3d tab, and check the 'alternate pixel center' option.

And yeah, the 32bit patch doesn't seem to like some graphics cards.

Yes, we seem to have the same problem on ATI cards as UE did, I'm afraid. :(
You can try this file and see if it helps (but if you've been having this problem since UE, you might already have tried this very same file)... we know it DOES fix 32 bit mode for some video cards:
Download link

If you want to try the file, make a backup of the existing gl_0000x.dll from your Standoff folder, and unzip that file there.

Quarto said:
About the lens flare thing - it's actually quite easy to fix (too bad I forgot about this while we were working on the FAQ), but the fix might screw up the graphics in other games. Just go into your graphics card properties, open up the Direct 3d tab, and check the 'alternate pixel center' option.
Not all people might have that option, though.

Hm. Favorite fix for the crosshair thing used to be "use Glide", but that's not so easy anymore.

Have there been any major problems noted for NVidia cards? ATI seems to be the people with card-specific issues, so it's worth checking.

Three hours til work is over and I can go get my fix... congradulations people.

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro not working with Standoff?

I have Windows XP and a recently acquired ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, using ATI Catalyst 4.12 drivers. I get the problem with 32 bits that WC CIC says, and in 16 bit I get the following:

"Please re-run the install program. Gl::loadDLL load failed 6, 126=The specified module could not be found"

Does anybody know a way of bypassing this? It seems to be asking for an older (or incompatible) version of OpenGL...

Thanks!

Chernikov said:
Have there been any major problems noted for NVidia cards? ATI seems to be the people with card-specific issues, so it's worth checking.
I don't think NVidia cards have any major problems, mine's always worked pretty well. :) Depending on the card and driver version, though, you can't change texel alignment to fix the lens flares thing.

adelcampo said:
I have Windows XP [...]and in 16 bit I get the following:

"Please re-run the install program. Gl::loadDLL load failed 6, 126=The specified module could not be found"
Have you set standoff.exe to be run in Win 98 compatibility mode? You need to do that under XP. Go to your SO folder, right click Standoff.exe, choose Properties, then go to the Compatibility tab, then check the box and select Windows 98 from the list.

Yes, I tried Windows 95 and also Windows 98/ME compatibility mode for standoff.exe

Adelcampo, the problem is that your graphics card is one of the ones that the 32-bit patch doesn't seem to like. Try running the game in 16bit mode, instead. It won't look quite as good, but it should work.

Unluckily I get the error in 16 bits, with the original installation of Standoff and also with the patch for gl_0000x.dll.

In 32 bits it appears to get further, but stops and I get gl_d3d_5::createzbuffer attach failed 87.

Thanks all for trying.

Can you run Secret Ops without any problems? Have you tried Standoff in different resolutions, and with all the other options turned off?
Probably won't do anything, but try opening your st_options.cfg file in notepad and making sure the first number is a "2".

I'll see if anyone on the team can think of something else, and we'll keep you informed. :confused:

hi there,

i was reading on the cic main page that standoff (and possibly secret ops) is not a good match for windows 2000, and i was wondering if there is a way to get them to work. ive been getting errors while trying to play prophecy/secret ops; please help, your work looks awesome and i cant wait to play it.

thanks guys,
-brad

Poopnoodle: not knowing much about Win2000, all I can do is post what Standoff's FAQ has to say about this. Hope it helps.

FAQ said:
Q. I'm in Windows 2000 and I get the error "standoff caused an error in standoff.exe".
A. Unfortunately, Secret Ops does not work with Windows 2000, and therefore, neither does Standoff. If you have Service Pack 4 installed you can try the solution for windows XP, below.
Q. I'm in Windows XP and I get the error "standoff caused an error in standoff.exe".
A. Right click on standoff.exe, select the compatability tab, and set it to Windows95 or Windows98. Then click ok and try again.

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro WORKS with Standoff!

Yes! ATI Radeon 9600 Pro WORKS with Standoff!

I had to make a clean reinstall of Secret Ops and Standoff and it worked! Maybe uninstalling Unknown Enemy could delete something? It does not matter now. Thanks all!

The Wanderer

Going back to the Windows 2000 thing...
The quote that Quarto Posted says that If I have the Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (which I do), then I could try right-clicking on the file "Standoff.exe" and selecting the "Compatability" tab.

There is no "compatability" tab that I can find.

I sincerly hope that I'm just looking in the wrong spot...
please help, I've been waiting for Standoff for months (I dare say years), and buying an entirely new operationg system is simply not an option.

Whoops, Okay...I can actually play Standoff, but now I have a different problem...
very soon after I launch, my ship goes absolutly bannanas. I totally ignores my controls and does it's own little air show, much to my intense annoyance.

WTF is wrong?

Back