Outdated FAQ Thread #1

Revenant said:
I get a random crash at random intervals throughout the game, however it happens most when I'm fighting the sabres in mission 2, or the talons in the first part of mission 3. I get a fatal error which says DInput::fetch2 fell out of loop and it kicks me back to windows. any ideas on how to fix it?
Sounds like a joystick related issue to me (I think that if you unplug your joystick while the game is running, you get a message very similar to that).

Sphynx said:
Maybe I'm just not noticing it, but I don't recall hearing my wingmen saying any of their "I'm launching a missile" coms. Is there some sort of bug, or am I just too wrapped up in combat to notice? This first came to my attention when Spoons did a great missile shot to take out a... this is a spoiler..... Sabre. I heard him taunt the enemy, and then gloat about his kill. But, I didn't hear the launch com. I'll pay more attention, but has anyone else noticed this?
Keep in mind, your wingmen now have about 1/10th of the average WCP wingman's payload, so they can't use the "launching missile" comm as often. ;)

Tempest said:
No, no, that's not what the fix ensured. Your wingmen were only ever going to start after him when he appears on radar, and will only ever be able to reach him if he stays on radar. He's meant to disappear and reappear continuously.

My guess is that, by setting my speed to zero the disappear/reappear portion of the code ends up planting Squealer in the same location. I verified that from my runs. Then again, I tried replaying this mission a few more times to nail down the bug but it only happened once more out of like 5 runs. I can't figure out what condition is required to trigger it. The good news is that, even with Squealer solid on radar with the speed set to zero, the wingman don't attack in the other four instances and they don't even move even if I told them to "break and attack" or "attack my target". So I am a little stumped as to where that bug come from.

I found one more bug though - I will have to replay a few more times to confirm - In the last mission when I come back from blowing up Sparrow's ship, I took some fun at taking shots at the Lionheart. Eventually it turn orange to me but when I got closer to kill the turrets it LANDED my ship! I thought if your friends turn hostile you are not allowed to land. Will post updates when I run thorugh it tomorrow.

Playing a Light Fighter without cockpit

This what I get when I play in the light fighter. What did was to go into the config file and allow the program to run off the files edited by wcpedit. First when I use treman to extract the stan__e1.tre the Stileto files will not extract from the tre file. So I had to the stileto that was with the anniversary and re-name the files.Then I switched it for the ferret and then with the wcpedit made a new ship profile and now I get the fighter without a cockpit just open space only with that white arrow near the aimer

Attachments

• cock.JPG
    cock.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 182
Just wondering also, but what are some dangers of running Standoff on Win ME? Right now I'm using ME, and have had few problems with the exception of the Blue Screen of Death if I've got too many applications running at the same time.

WinME is *always* dangerous :p

Seriously, if you can get SO to run on it, so must probably Standoff will run too. But take a friend´s advice: change that damn operating system.

No idea if this has been asked / mentioned before - only did a quick search and couldn't find anything about it.

I've got two different probs in Standoff.
1.) When I enable anti-aliasing, my game starts bluring massivly - Difficult to describe: it's like ghosting, but previous pictures don't disappear. That is mainly for videos, HUD and such. Was not the case for real fight (except the HUD). When switching off AA, the prob is gone.
2.) The videos are flickering from time to time (every 2-3 secs or so). - That's getting annoying if you'd like to enjoy watching them :( - No matter if I use AA are no AA, AF or no AF, V-Sync, no V-sync

Here are my specs:
ABit IC7-G
PIV 3.2Ghz HT
X800 Pro (@XT)
2GB DDR 400Mhz
Windows XP SP2
DirectX 9.0c
Audigy 2 ZS
Cat 4.12 drivers (5.1 are unstable for some games and had the same probs - just like 4.11. Didn't test older ones...)

P.S.: How do I scan ships? Forgot how to do it and couldn't find it in my WCP manual :confused: - Just keeping close to the ship for 5 mins did not help :(

P.P.S.: Great mod :cool: Already like it more than UE ;)

THE_WUQKED said:
No idea if this has been asked / mentioned before - only did a quick search and couldn't find anything about it.

I've got two different probs in Standoff.
1.) When I enable anti-aliasing, my game starts bluring massivly - Difficult to describe: it's like ghosting, but previous pictures don't disappear. That is mainly for videos, HUD and such. Was not the case for real fight (except the HUD). When switching off AA, the prob is gone.
I get no such problem with anti-aliasing here, and I don't think anyone has mentioned anything like that before... Standoff must not like your video card / drivers as much as it likes mine. :p

However, with ansiotropic filtering set above 4x, some stuff does get blurred on my system, but IIRC it was mostly just the stars on the background and some minor HUD blurring. This is probably due to the fact that all our textures are too low-res (and the stars are just sprite-like 4-pixel things, hence they get even blurrier).

THE_WUQKED said:
2.) The videos are flickering from time to time (every 2-3 secs or so). - That's getting annoying if you'd like to enjoy watching them :( - No matter if I use AA are no AA, AF or no AF, V-Sync, no V-sync
Flickering or skipping? Skipping is a known issue, which you can solve by disabling sound acceleration in DXDiag... Don't think we've ever had anyone report flickering, though. I assume you can play DIVX videos in full-screen with no flickering, outside Standoff?

THE_WUQKED said:
P.S.: How do I scan ships? Forgot how to do it and couldn't find it in my WCP manual :confused: - Just keeping close to the ship for 5 mins did not help :(
The ship's computer tells you which key to press whenever you need to do some special action (like scanning or jumping)... If you've just missed these computer instructions, you can press CTRL+M to check the Message Log, the messages are saved there. For scanning in particular I think we used the "I" key...? Not sure.

Thx for the fast reply :)

@ 1) I guess it's best when I make a screen shot, to show what I mean... - And my guess is as well, it might have something to do with the x800 :(
What card do you use? and which drivers?

@ 2) No, no skipping. That works fine, just one short flicker, then ok for 2 secs, another flicker, ok for 5 secs and so on. Don't have that prob in WCP, SO and UE :confused:

@ P.S.: Thx for the tip :D - Now I can finally play it on *g

Here are the screen shots:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Seems like I mixed something up there: in fight it's "normal" ghosting - except for cockpit and except that it's not the Monitors fault (otherwise you wouldn't see it on the screenshot and it would not be AA related ^^)

EDIT: And yes, that's 16bit mode - 32 did not start at all, like for most radeon users.

EDIT2: Ups. Just remembered / realized something: I don't have this bluring prob for Secret Ops etc, cause I'm using glide for it :rolleyes: - When using Direct3D it's the exact same prob. So def. not Standoff related. - But then again... best solution for me would be 3dfx support :) ;) (even if it was "on your own risk")

EDIT3: I just realized, that I can also screenshot the "flicker effect" - IT seems it only appears when AA is disabled (??? :confused: )
I made 4 screenshots of a short scene, so you get an idea how it looks like in game (don'T worry, only ~70kb)

Attachments

• shot0042.jpg
    shot0042.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 166
  • shot0043.jpg
    shot0043.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 160
And here are the next 2 pics:

And yes, THIS definitally only appears in standoff - just tested SO again in D3D to be sure.

Attachments

• shot0044.jpg
    shot0044.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 150
  • shot0045.jpg
    shot0045.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 161
THE_WUQKED said:
EDIT2: Ups. Just remembered / realized something: I don't have this bluring prob for Secret Ops etc, cause I'm using glide for it :rolleyes: - When using Direct3D it's the exact same prob. So def. not Standoff related. - But then again... best solution for me would be 3dfx support (even if it was "on your own risk")
Well, if it also happens in Secret Ops, then any possible fixes for it are probably in changing something in your video card / D3d settings. :( You could try the tech support forum, maybe someone has found a way around this already?

As for Glide, it's more buggy than any errors you get in D3d. You can open st_options.cfg in notepad and change the first number to 3 to check it out for yourself (maybe it was 4... Well, one of them is D3D 32 bits, the other is Glide - you'll know which is which since one will crash on your ATI card :p)... keep in mind that the game may lock your system (and it definitely won't look like it should). I recomend you test it with videos, cockpit struts, etc, etc, etc all disabled at first.

THE_WUQKED said:
EDIT3: I just realized, that I can also screenshot the "flicker effect" - IT seems it only appears when AA is disabled (???)
I made 4 screenshots of a short scene, so you get an idea how it looks like in game (don'T worry, only ~70kb)
Oh, it happens during in-flight cutscenes? I thought you meant the pre-rendered video cutscenes... This is even more weird now. :p Again, I'd recomend trying different settings for your video card, but I have no idea if it'll help or not.

I have a nVidia GeForce FX, and the only graphics corruption I get is the stars being blurred when I use 4x+ AF... Apart from that, any settings I use work fine, so these are probably related to your card not liking the Vision engine. :(

Eder said:
Well, if it also happens in Secret Ops, then any possible fixes for it are probably in changing something in your video card / D3d settings. :( You could try the tech support forum, maybe someone has found a way around this already?

As for Glide, it's more buggy than any errors you get in D3d. You can open st_options.cfg in notepad and change the first number to 3 to check it out for yourself (maybe it was 4... Well, one of them is D3D 32 bits, the other is Glide - you'll know which is which since one will crash on your ATI card :p)... keep in mind that the game may lock your system (and it definitely won't look like it should). I recomend you test it with videos, cockpit struts, etc, etc, etc all disabled at first.
Guess I'll ask in the tech section again then (after fiddling arround with the st_options.cfg ;) ) - IF there is no solution, I'll have to run without AA, which is quite funny with a x800, but lived without it when WCP came out anyway. ^^ - But don't mind. It's in 1024x768 already and I can still use AF :)
Oh, it happens during in-flight cutscenes? I thought you meant the pre-rendered video cutscenes... This is even more weird now. :p Again, I'd recomend trying different settings for your video card, but I have no idea if it'll help or not.

No, that is a scene from the intro, not the game ^^ - During combat that flicker bug is non existing.

:D
It works! 3dfx works! Woohoo. - Only settings which I have to change are:
- deactivate cockpit - otherwise I'll simply drop to desktop when starting a mission
- lowering res to 640x480 - which I wanted to use anyway, cause it's 1280x960 in reality ;)
Another good thing is: I can enable fog again :D
Thx a lot Eder :cool:

But one downside is: still the flicker in the intro. And they seem to be at the very same frames :confused:

P.S.: So far everything looked like it should - except for the missing cockpit / semi-missing hud that is.

The flickering might be what I reported in beta testing.
Do you have subtitles enabled or disabled (not the movie ones, but the "in engine" ones)? If disabled enable them (just enable all subtitles you find as a test) and the flickering should go away.

Just tested again with enabled subtitles. - And no more flicker! Thx a lot :D :cool:

Btw, I noticed that the flicker seems to be at the exact same time when there is text On Top of the movie (and not under). Maybe that'll help you fixing it with one of the next episodes or so. ;)

But now I'm looking forward to the weekend, so I can finally play through the first part :cool:

Seems to be a SO engine thing, therefore we won't be able to fix it.

Weird bug...

So I've just recently found this game and its predecessor as well... Absolutely loving it by the way. The base attack was one of the toughest fights I can remember in any of the WC games, but I think I'm just out of practice. :)

My issue though is a strange one; I can't seem to get the nav computer to work. No matter what I select in the ctrl-n nav computer window, after I return to the cockpit screen it's still on the same nav point it was when I switched to the menu. I wanted to try flying out to the pirate base with Squealer and I couldn't figure out how. Thought maybe it was just locked down, but now I found I have the same problem in Unknown Enemy, which is making the second mission impossible to fly.

Any thoughts? I've done everything I can think of in the navcomp window, but it always reverts when I exit it.e

you have to right click on the nav point with your mouse until you hear a chime- sometimes hitting the precise point to activate the chime is kind of tricky because the point is so small

Back