Outdated FAQ Thread #1

Crash problem

On the third mission, my computer hard-locked 3 times in a row (that's the scramble-patrol mission). Twice it was when a Talon pilot was screaming its death message, the last time it locked while I was in the middle of the scramble against a tarsus (no message at the time)

A side note is that the sound acceleration fix didn't seem to work either (the mid-sequence videos were choppy still.

However, by turning off the patch in the options menu on the launcher and setting sound hardware acceleration to zero the game was able to run with no further problems.

On the graphics side, like the posts above, the ATI cards refuse to run 32-bit mode in directX - 16-bit works fine on all resolutions.

Just want to post it here for record keeping

Computer specs:
Intel Celeron 1000A (Tualatin)
512MB RAM
VIA Apollo 133T 694T/686B
SB Audigy
ATI Radeon 8500

Really Frustrated Wanderer

Okay, final tally of what I'm going through.
I can:
-get into the game with no problems
-pilot my ship (Sometimes)
I cannot:
-finish the first mission as the game quits out with either "Standoff has generated an error," or some gibberish concerning "fs"
-Pilot my ship the rest of the time. As I described above, My ship will sometimes simply go crazy and manuver around in an erratic course that is not in any way dictated by the poor pilot.

I don't know If this has anything to do with compatability issues or if there's some bug that wasn't caught before release, but either way, can somebody please tell me what (if anything) is wrong?

Oh Yeah, my specs, too:

1GHz Pentium III processor
8mb Vid card- ATI Rage P/M mobility AGP 2x

I think that the major incompatibility is Windows2000, anyway if you sometimes can run the game, you could try set the launcher options to a minimal values, capships distances and asteroids.

You have to run a certain command to enable compatibility mode in Windows 2000, which I cannot remember off the top of me head. It's in the forums somewhere, though, so you could search for it.

Anyway Secret Ops in Windows 2000 is pretty problematic. It'll work for a while and crash randomly. Sometimes you can finish a mission, sometimes it'll crash. And it'll crash at different points each time.

It's weird.

Just to add to my report - I have replayed the whole thing from start (to try flying different ships and getting different outcomes)

Anyways, even with the sound acceleration set to 0 and the fast machine patch turned off I still get the hard locking machine.

Anyone has any ideas what I should try next?

flav2000 said:
On the third mission, my computer hard-locked 3 times in a row (that's the scramble-patrol mission). Twice it was when a Talon pilot was screaming its death message, the last time it locked while I was in the middle of the scramble against a tarsus (no message at the time)

A side note is that the sound acceleration fix didn't seem to work either (the mid-sequence videos were choppy still.

However, by turning off the patch in the options menu on the launcher and setting sound hardware acceleration to zero the game was able to run with no further problems.

On the graphics side, like the posts above, the ATI cards refuse to run 32-bit mode in directX - 16-bit works fine on all resolutions.

Just want to post it here for record keeping

Computer specs:
Intel Celeron 1000A (Tualatin)
512MB RAM
VIA Apollo 133T 694T/686B
SB Audigy
ATI Radeon 8500

Win2000 is pretty problematic. The FAQ sais you can try to use the compatibility setting to get Standoff to run, but there is no garantee it will. The only advice I can give you is to make sure you have the lastest Windows updates, including DirectX, the lastest drivers for your video card, -and if it still doesn't work- that you uninstall everything (both Standoff and Secret Ops) and clean reinstall it all.

I did have Secret Ops and Unknown Enemy to run well on Win2000 SP4, and so have others... so I know there is a possibility that it Standoff can work too; but we could not test it on a large scale.

You may have to install WinXP on your machine :rolleyes:

Good luck !

My primary gaming rig

Windows 2000 SP4
Athlon XP 2000+
512 MB Dual Channel DDR
GeForce FX5600

If I turn off audio hardware acceleration completely and put a shortcut to standoff.exe in win95 compatibility mode, I am not having anymore random crashes. However, video cutscenes go crazy stuttering. Comm videos are fine however. Anything else in-engine is also fine.

Nomad Terror said:
If I turn off audio hardware acceleration completely and put a shortcut to standoff.exe in win95 compatibility mode, I am not having anymore random crashes. However, video cutscenes go crazy stuttering. Comm videos are fine however. Anything else in-engine is also fine.
If the videos still stutter even after you switch off hardware acceleration, try using the anti-sound-skipping option in Standoff's launcher.

flav2000 said:
Anyways, even with the sound acceleration set to 0 and the fast machine patch turned off I still get the hard locking machine.
Does it still happen only in M3, or at random points?

Hey,

Fun game, I am impressed. Had no problems at all with the gameplay, all that is really cool. The sequences where he was talking to the computer worked well too. Unfortunately all the parts where there were the talking heads for example the landing chick and the part after the last mission are totally unwatchable and skip through making annoying noises.

Now, this happened all through Prophecy and secret ops for me and I was hoping that standoff would be fixed to work on nice modern machines. I have a Toshiba Satelite 1100 laptop and I know little else about her. Dont know how to fiddle with it.

I am upset cos I dont know what they were talking about after that last mission,

Quarto said:
If the videos still stutter even after you switch off hardware acceleration, try using the anti-sound-skipping option in Standoff's launcher.

I actually had to download mscomctl.ocx to get this to even come up, but enabling that option seems to have fixed the video problems.

I wish more people with Windows 2000 would test this out.

Eder said:
Does it still happen only in M3, or at random points?

The lock only in M3 for the 3 times I went through the prologue - it's always the asteroid patrol mission. It always happen during the scramble portion after the jump into the system and after the rest of the pirates ship has shown up.

Forgot to put down this detail - I am running Windows XP SP2

Might actually be a mission coding bug since it only happens there. We gotta look into it.

No mission bug I'd ever seen causes a total computer lockup. I suspect it's more a case of Standoff pushing the engine to its limits, since I also got these lockups once or twice, and not necessarily in M3.

Just a small, but annoying problem:

When I activate ruder-controls, the ruder is reversed. I change it and in the next mission or sometimes in the nav-point, the ruder-control is reversed again.

But all in all: It´s REALLY, REALLY great!

Sometimes the sound quits during the briefings and the briefings continue without sound. It seems to happen between the breaks where you hear the "dink, dink, dink" noise. Anybody else get that? Audio works fine everywhere else, In Game and Cutscenes.

I'm on Intel High Definition Audio.

Obee said:
When I activate ruder-controls, the ruder is reversed. I change it and in the next mission or sometimes in the nav-point, the ruder-control is reversed again.
As far as I know, we haven't touched the game's joystick input routines, so this is probably not our fault ;).

Ok, well I got up to the second mission, and now it is slowing down for some reason. The first mission played fine, but when I got to the second one, it started to slow down. First there is a small lapse in the breifing dialouge, it takes a long time after a press the "fly" button to actually get to the mission and at sometimes during the mission my controls will freeze and nothing will happen for several seconds. I went through and started the first mission again and the same thing is happening for that one too. Is there a way to fix this problem? Also the video when I landed after my mission also skipped for some reason. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Back