Outcome of Terran/Kilrathi War

ummm?

Did the Confedration gain anything on winning the terran kilrathi war? or did they just do it for fun?(i know im a....plebe)

Originally posted by Skyfire
The problem is, when they worry too much about the books, and don't know enough about how hard the wars are.
Yeah, forgot to mention that about politicians - didn't want to seem as though I was siding with them, just trying to put things in perspective.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but in this case it seems to lead to unreasonable criticism. How can you criticise Confed's decision to make peace based on your knowledge of what happened next? That's like saying Napoleon should have never joined the army, because it eventually got him into exile on St. Helena :). Confed had suspicions, but no real proof that the Kilrathi didn't genuinely want peace. Put yourself in their shoes - would you refuse to end 34 years of bloodshed because "we don't trust them cats"? Besides, the Kilrathi didn't actually need the cease-fire to launch their sneak attack. Jukaga specifies that a retreat would also gain them the needed time.

That's very true. The only problem I had with it, was how easily the military was made to seem like the badguy. (Granted, it was because of the spy, but still. After all the military had done to keep the Confederation going...)

Note: Although that's not to say that I didn't understand the way the politicans were thinking, it did kinda hold a sinister view on the end of the "vicious military."

Remember, it was also explained how most Confederation citizens did *not* believe the "issues" regarding the military

what I still can't quiet understand about tolwyn is the fact in WC3 , he rushs the behemoth into an early strike to end the war. and then in WC4 moans about the war ending....

unless he saw confed makeing all the cut backs in the military and that made is mind to start the black lance.

but one things for sure , given that confed military where run by people like tolwyn can you blaim the people for having misgivings about the war?

Originally posted by Quarto
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but in this case it seems to lead to unreasonable criticism. How can you criticise Confed's decision to make peace based on your knowledge of what happened next? That's like saying Napoleon should have never joined the army, because it eventually got him into exile on St. Helena :). Confed had suspicions, but no real proof that the Kilrathi didn't genuinely want peace. Put yourself in their shoes - would you refuse to end 34 years of bloodshed because "we don't trust them cats"? Besides, the Kilrathi didn't actually need the cease-fire to launch their sneak attack. Jukaga specifies that a retreat would also gain them the needed time.

Yeah very good point by its still no reason to Decommision half of the fleet

True enough, TC. Maybe it was just the thought of ending the war that made the populous so anxious?

That actually makes me wonder. I know the GE program was developed during the war, but were the BL? Or were they still a secret op planned to be used against the Kilrathi during the war?

And I would agree with that. After a war that was that long, I don't think that I would be so quick to drop my guard either. :)

Originally posted by Skyfire
And I would agree with that. After a war that was that long, I don't think that I would be so quick to drop my guard either.

Yeah. After a couple decades of brutal and bloody warfare, I wouldn't welcome peace, either.

Does anyone have a general idea how long the war lasted? I mean in the books they describe how long it takes to create a carrier and to create a shipyard, ect. (something like 10 yrs or so I believe) BUT also in the books the Confederation suddenly got several carriers. I am just wondering if the books left out a large amount of time or if they had some shipyards already or something? I was just a little confused about that...

It depends on which ships you're talking about... everything but fleet carriers tend to be rather plentiful... And during a war that lasted from circa 2634 to circa 2669 there's plenty of time to make new ships.

I don´t know how many years* it lasted but it officialy started on the day the Iason was destroyed and ended a few days after the T-Bomb nuked Kilrah, with a treaty.

* LOAF will probably tell you how many HOURS it lasted :D

Hmmm... Very true. Dang that long... Ahhh! That would really suck to be in a war that long. Boy sometimes you wonder how a society could go through that. But then you think about the middle east. Yep, people can survive in a long drawn out war if need be.

Originally posted by Starkey
I don´t know how many years* it lasted but it officialy started on the day the Iason was destroyed and ended a few days after the T-Bomb nuked Kilrah, with a treaty.

* LOAF will probably tell you how many HOURS it lasted :D

eh, that's a hard one to argue for an official date of the war starting... you can try though, if you'd like. The more accepted ones would be the original declaration of a limited war by the Confederation on 2634.186, the Kilrathi attack on McAullife on, I believe 2634.235 or the declaration of all out hostilities by Confed a couple of days after that.

Damn, that invasion would have just been a horrible day. Absolutely horrible. Pearl harbor all over again, BUT WITH NO ROMANCE, and just as devastating to the Confederation as it was to the Allies/US.

Pearl Harbor has romance?

Pearl Harbor wasn't really devistating for the Allies, either... since it forced the United States into the war, it was more helpful than anything.

Originally posted by TC
The more accepted ones would be the original declaration of a limited war by the Confederation on 2634.186, the Kilrathi attack on McAullife on, I believe 2634.235 or the declaration of all out hostilities by Confed a couple of days after that.

Well, I have it listed as 2634.186. Whichever date it is, however, we know from the movie introduction that the declaration took place at 6:00 AM.

Back