Opinions on Standoff Episode 1 (*spoiler warning*)

Eder said:
Oh, scratch that, we just figured it out. :p Hopefully we'll have a WC2-ish set of menus in Episode 2.

That's not all we'll have new in Episode 2. As of late I've been looking into new sound sets for MIDI rendering. I'm not exactly sure what I'm getting yet, but there will be improved MIDI rendering in Episode 2 to make the music sound more real. If I can get it done in time, included in Episode 2 will be a patch that will 'fix' all the music in Episode 1 to redo it with the new rendering scheme as well.

Look for more on this in the future - I hope to have a poll up to help me figure out which sound set to get eventually (yes... along with samples).

I'm not sure we can add any extra ships at all now that we have released something which we need to remain compatible with.

If we can still add ships, and if I have time to add ships, it will be Kilrathi ships (Dralthi anyone?), not Confed. And even if it had to be Confed, it'd probably not be from Armada, and it definitely wouldn't be in the Simulator, since our 14 Sim slots are full. :)

Honestly, if I get time to add stuff that wasn't in the original plan, from now on I'd rather add cutscenes than ships. We probably already have more ships than any two WC games combined.

Edit: I just checked... WC1+WC2 is still 5 ships ahead of us. :p We do have more ships than WC1+Priv, WC1+Armada, Priv+Armada, or WC2+Armada, and we come close to a tie with WC2+Priv. :cool:

Needaham45 said:
As of late I've been looking into new sound sets for MIDI rendering. I'm not exactly sure what I'm getting yet, but there will be improved MIDI rendering in Episode 2 to make the music sound more real.
Sounds exciting! I hope you're not spending too much on this, though. No more than you want to, of course.

Hey, one issue I just realized when recompleting Episode 1. Was it just a non important issue that there is no Victory music when you blow up a fighter or is it not possible to do something like that?

Not possible... in this engine the only victory music that plays is when you win the mission.

Last night I got in the internal folder and downloaded the current episode 2 package. I noticed that not all the ships were implemented in the simulator. (that I could tell)

Either way, it was so great blasting Kilrathi ships again. The first mission sticks you with three Gothri, right off the bat. Wham-O! I got into the simulator and knocked around some Drakhri, Krant, Jalthi, Sartha . . . You need to stick the Salthi back in this package (since you've already made it and all) and a Dralthi. Then you have the complete set of WC1 Kilrathi fighters. And, adding in the Scimitar from UE, and pending the creation of the WC1 Rapier, you'd have the entire compliment of WC1 ships (Except maybe for Dorkir? and Starbase?) A wc1-style mod would be a fun next project.

All the ships should be working in the sim. You gotta use the alswantsmoreships cheat to get the alternate set though.

Eder said:
If we can still add ships, and if I have time to add ships, it will be Kilrathi ships (Dralthi anyone?), not Confed. And even if it had to be Confed, it'd probably not be from Armada, and it definitely wouldn't be in the Simulator, since our 14 Sim slots are full. :)

Honestly, if I get time to add stuff that wasn't in the original plan, from now on I'd rather add cutscenes than ships. We probably already have more ships than any two WCs

Nothing I like more than having a variety of furballs to blast out of the sky...the more the merry Eder...I can't wait to see what all the revamped kat ships look like when I'm staring down my gunsights...

Sylvester said:
Hey, one issue I just realized when recompleting Episode 1. Was it just a non important issue that there is no Victory music when you blow up a fighter or is it not possible to do something like that?

The only triggers that the Vision engine allows for in terms of inflight music are as follows:

Ambient
Battle
Battle with Heavily Damaged
Battle Against Capships
Mission Failed
Mission Victory

Each piece can either be one looping section or have an intro which leads into a looping section. It might be possible to add more triggers or change the format of playback (such as adding transition bits between pieces), but as far as I know, the only research that's been done in terms of music is figuring out how to get our own music in the game. I mean, when it comes to hacking priority, stuff like figuring out how to get the game to run in higher resolutions, adding our own fighters, and creating our own graphics come higher up on the list than anything that has to do with sound and music. I would like it if more time was spent on music, but when you have a limited number of people who are able to look into the game, music simply isn't as important as other elements.

overmortal said:
Last night I got in the internal folder and downloaded the current episode 2 package. I noticed that not all the ships were implemented in the simulator. (that I could tell)

They´re all there, use the cheat. BTW, the Wraith rocks big time, I could go forever killing them kats with it.

Originally Posted by Eder
FWIW, all those things were intented as WC1/2/Priv references. We'd have chalk on the killboard if we could find a way to do it.
Oh, really? But yes, now that you mention it, you are right ordinary table chairs and all talk. It was probably the missing chalk killboard that made me miss all that. ;)

Starkey said:
They´re all there, use the cheat. BTW, the Wraith rocks big time, I could go forever killing them kats with it.
Yeah, yeah, yeah... everyone's already beaten both the Confed and the Kilrathi gauntlet in the Wraith on nightmare level by now... but can you do it in an Epee!? :D

Bugfix said:
Oh, really? But yes, now that you mention it, you are right ordinary table chairs and all talk. It was probably the missing chalk killboard that made me miss all that. ;)
We'll probably have to owe everyone the chalkboard, though, font editing is an unexplored area in this engine. :p

Needaham45 said:
The only triggers that the Vision engine allows for in terms of inflight music are as follows:

Ambient
Battle
Battle with Heavily Damaged
Battle Against Capships
Mission Failed
Mission Victory
I remember those. Are those names used internally, or are they just what HCl called them?

With the sheer number of enemies in WCP/SO, I don't seen any sense in having a 'scored a kill' jingle.

Eder said:
Oh, scratch that, we just figured it out. :p Hopefully we'll have a WC2-ish set of menus in Episode 2.
Here's a preview of what we're talking about. Keep in mind I did this via hex editing, so the final thing will end up looking a lot better... by then we'll probably have an app to do the palette editing for me, and I'll talk to HCl about the font color. Since he changed our in-flight font colors, and even let us control our own fiction view colors, the menu fonts should be equally easy to edit.

If I get a decent method of editing these things, it won't be like that :p

(I'd probably use white on a red background, to match all our monitors.)

Will all these changes be retroactively applied to episode 1 as well? (new menu colors/graphics, new in-flight comms if the actors decide to redo them, etc)

Back