Ooops, or Maniac is a yutz.

jedi2187

Spaceman
Flying the second mission on WC IV, Maniac and I are heading back to the Lexington when we get orders from Eisen to investigate the now-mesquit cooked civvie ship. While Eisen is filling us in on what we're going to encounter, I look over to my right just to get a good look at the Lexington on my flyby and MANIAC SLAMS INTO IT, barrel-rolls several times then blows up. Meanwhile, Eisen is as calm as can be, not aware of the fact that Maniac just wrapped his fighter around the command center.

Flying to the scene, my wingman is one of the extras that fly with you if you don't defect later on, and he says the exact same lines that Maniac would. ("WAS is the operative word; Who would do this to a bunch of civvies?")

Now my dream of the WCIV AI not crashing into anything is destroyed, in contrary to the WCP AI which loves to fly into stuff of all sorts, no matter how small and hard to miss it is. :p

You know, it would be cool to explore WCP tactics and highspeed autosliding into things... esp in multiplayer if youve got humans tailing you too close. :)

Maybe the original plan was for the Bugs to be suicidal and all that, except when they realized that would screw over game balance or something they just had the damage control people make intership contact nonlethal. :(

Yup - remarkably scripted, as they recorded it for all the available generic wingmen. Wing IV has a lot of areas where it suffers like that... aspects where they decided to make one thing super-variable and ignore what should have been essential parts of the game (takeoff scenes, cockpits, etc.:)).

Yup, a whole lot of people were - it was one of those "Chris Roberts wants this, so it stays like this" dealies.

(The PR 'explanations' they gave never really washed... "the cockpits take up too much memory" and "surveys showed everyone turned them off anyway"...)

I always turned them off. That's why I liked the cockpits of WCP; they were non-obstructive. I like actually being able to see what the heck I'm doing.

Origin spent so much money developing and promoting the "virtual cockpits" in Strike Commander (/WoG/PS)... but they just ignored the technology in WC - I never understood that (especially given the amount of Strike Commander's 3D engine that made it into WC3/4).

That is kinda' odd. Especially considering how, being a space sim, it'd be best to make space flight as immersive as possible to draw in even the non-sci-fi folk.

The "full screen HUD" never sat well with me. It was such a cop out. Those near-photo-realistic cockpits with the digitized stick & throttle in WC3 were amazing.

Speaking of cockpits and HUDs... is it just me or did the Dragon/Lance HUD seem awfully... Klingon :confused:

3d cockpits with the gauges actually being textures on the 3d frame would be awesome like they are in some flight sims.

You mean like the cockpits being made for Standoff? 'Cept, those guages aren't going to be functional.

Again, I enjoy a good cockpit, but I don't like it when my view is 40% obstructed because of it. That's why I thought WCP was a pleasant mix. Or, how about the cockpits in MechWarrior3? Those cockpits aren't obstructive, and they look awesome. And they move around, so they don't feel so static.

XWA had a virtual cockpit, but I didn't use it very much. It's a lot easier to get disoriented in space. What I always wanted in a space game, instead of those crazy radars, is a good virtual horizon setup.

(To explain the Strike Commander virtual cockpit - basically, you had a full 3D cockpint around you... and you would click your right mouse button (or a joystick hat) and have free range of motion to pan your head around the cockpit like a real live fighter pilot.

Because real live fighter pilots regularly use a joystick hat to look around their cockpits!

No, it's not like that - you click a button and then you have control of your head instead of your fighter.

overmortal said:
You mean like the cockpits being made for Standoff? 'Cept, those guages aren't going to be functional.

No I mean that all the gauges are part of the cockpit frame; no HUD components floating somewhere on your screen. JSF had something like that, though it still had a virtual HUD, the tactical display, the avionicsand some others were actually parts of the 3d frames. It was low res since this game is rather old, but they were full functional.

Back