One Ship Challenge

Originally posted by Penguin
Nice to see you back Col.Dom! At last your rank fits the first syllable of your handle :)

Col.Dom: Hasn't the F-15E already booted the F-15C into yesteryear :p

Hiya', Penguin! It's good to be back posting, again. It's also nice to have my rank match my username! HAHA!

As for the F-15E/C question, Hoops already answered it. My previous comment, though, is pretty funny since I said the F-35 is going to annihilate the F-15C. Well, the F-35 is meant to replace the F-16 and the F-22 is meant to replace the F-15C. Still, I am sort of in line with Wulf. I definitely put the F-35 on a higher pedestal than the F-22; however, I wouldn't say the F-22 sucks. It's an incredible fighter!

the f-35 is more likely to replace the Harrier than the f-16.
it is after all a VTOL aircraft.
the marines intend to replace the f/a-18 and the AV-8 with the f-35.

Originally posted by Happy

edit
correction, it MIGHT be a VTOL, but that depends if they get past the test flight stages. as far as I know, it is still in teethered testing.
I should also mention that the marines intend to replace the f/a-18 and the AV-8 with the f-35.

The navy would prefer a VTOL to replace the f-16 for obvious reasons.

the navy does not fly the f-16.
plus they have a rather large investment in the largest fleet carriers in the world, so they do not really need VTOL aircraft so much as say, the british.

Originally posted by Happy
the marines intend to replace the f/a-18 and the AV-8 with the f-35.

We're thinking of separate services. The F-35 is going to replace the F-16 for the Air Force. The USAF is getting the non-VTOL F-35A.

The Navy's F-35B (which has larger wings and tougher landing gear for carrier landing) I think will replace the F-14. Not sure, I'm not in the USN.... The Navy's F/A-18 Hornets are being replaced by the F/A-18EF Super Hornet.

The Marine Corps is getting the F-35C, which has the same physical differences as the F-35B but does not incorporate an internal gun. Any gun would be a mounted pod-type deal. It should definitely be replacing its Harrier fleet. Again, I'm not in the USMC, so....

The F-35B/C models are S/VTOL capable. I've actually seen an F-35C vertically take-off. Its entire engine moves! No nozels! Panels open for airflow and the entire engine assembly moves around. It's almost like a snake or something. You have to see it to believe it!

Entire engine moves? How easy would THAT be to damage/jam?

As for the Super Hornet, IIRC it's a stopgap (and a bloody expensive one at that...) but its still one of the slickest machines anywher. The SU-47 (?) might have it beat.

I never heard of the SU-47. I know of the SU-37. Those things are BAD, dude! I would equate their level of boot-shaking performance today with that of the very 80s MiG-29 Fulcrum. The 37's thrust-vectoring capabilities are insane! Never thought stuff like that was possible.

But, since USA goes all the way... :D

NASA retro-fitted an F-16 with a multi-axis thrust vectoring engine (a very primitive verison of whatever magical thing they put in the F-35) and it was able to rotate around a weather balloon, while keeping a bead and not dropping altitude. If that's any indication of the F-35 can do....

As for the F-35's engine being an easy target: well, yes. It is rather chunky....

The 22 does kick major ass, but the yf23 should have won the ATF competition over the yf22. Since Lockheed-Martin was more trustworthy in upholding their contracts (over Northrop), it really didn't matter how good the 23 was. The yf23 had faster acceleration, slightly higher top-end capability, and had a lower radar cross section profile; truly it was the better concept. But, IIRC, Northrop had a lot of controversy over their B-1 or B-2 (can't remember too well at this point), and had stereotyped itself as a company hard to deal with. So basically, the yf22 won because the government has less to put up with when dealing with LM. There were other things, but I can't say what they are because it's information not released to the general public yet. A shame, the 23 was even less costly. Sorry about not clarifying this before, but I was in a hurry on my last post.

As for the Russian Sukhois 27-s37...not many people realize how superb those fighters are. Shit, one-on-one with myself in a 16 versus a su27 would make me very nervous. I sometimes 'fly' in simulators against a couple of pilots I know, and those fighters are no picnic. I would say, assuming that both aircraft are in prime condition with pilots of equal experience, there would be an advantage ratio of 2.15:1, su27 (off the top of my head). No telling how greater that would be with the su35, 37, or s37 as of yet.

On the f35 matter, Col. Dom is right on the money. Did you see the coverage of the craft in Popular Mechanics?

Originally posted by Wulf
The 22 does kick major ass, but the yf23 should have won the ATF competition over the yf22. Since Lockheed-Martin was more trustworthy in upholding their contracts (over Northrop), it really didn't matter how good the 23 was. The yf23 had faster acceleration, slightly higher top-end capability, and had a lower radar cross section profile; truly it was the better concept. But, IIRC, Northrop had a lot of controversy over their B-1 or B-2 (can't remember too well at this point), and had stereotyped itself as a company hard to deal with. So basically, the yf22 won because the government has less to put up with when dealing with LM. There were other things, but I can't say what they are because it's information not released to the general public yet. A shame, the 23 was even less costly. Sorry about not clarifying this before, but I was in a hurry on my last post.

As for the Russian Sukhois 27-s37...not many people realize how superb those fighters are. Shit, one-on-one with myself in a 16 versus a su27 would make me very nervous. I sometimes 'fly' in simulators against a couple of pilots I know, and those fighters are no picnic. I would say, assuming that both aircraft are in prime condition with pilots of equal experience, there would be an advantage ratio of 2.15:1, su27 (off the top of my head). No telling how greater that would be with the su35, 37, or s37 as of yet.

On the f35 matter, Col. Dom is right on the money. Did you see the coverage of the craft in Popular Mechanics?

Hey hey! Wulf, you know your stuff! Are you in the Air Force too?

Not in it as of yet, but I already live it. My library of books and games is mostly nothing but aircraft specs, history,and tactics. I'm nearing 1000 logged hours in combat jet simulators, mainly f16, and could probably write a book on surviving a huge engagement. I piss my pilot friends off because I always evade their little $2 million AMRAAMs that they fire at me, 3 at a time sometimes when they get real angry!

Known them for years, and since they're in the right place, I can get a grip on things faster than mass media can, at least with air forces. They trust me because I work surveillance in their area.

Excellent! I take it you're going to sign up for SUPT? Oh, if only my eyesight would qualify me, I'd request to go to NATO SUPT at Sheppard AFB, TX. I went to Sheppard for tech school, so that'd be pretty funny :D

Speaking of pilot friends, one of the pilots in my squadron got selected for the F-22 program. He's #13 :cool:

Heh heh- for that he got public humiliation at a recent Commander's Call. They showed a video of him wiping out in a dirt bike stunt! HAHA!!

Still quite a while away from that, but I'll do whatever it takes to get in a cockpit and strap on that airplane. Speaking of Sheppard AFB, my granddad was stationed there after Korea and it's where I had out-of-state rifle matches in JROTC.

Heh heh- armpit of American, eh? Personally, I enjoyed my time there thoroughly. Of course, I was in tech school at the time, so it was pretty much a party :D

A lot of people dislike that base but I figured it was quite nice. It may have been tiny but it was convenient. Everything was a walk away! I like it when I can walk everywhere I need to go.

Awesome that you're going the officer route. It's so good to see that there are still military-minded youth out there. Definitely follow through! The Air Force needs pilots now!!

I'm thinking, since my eyesight is too bad for the Air Force, if I can fly Cessnas for the CAP. HAHA! Found the REAL Wild Eagles!! HAHAHA!!

Why don't you fly Predators? You sit at a console flying the craft from inside a building, much like playing WC on the PC. It's worth a shot! But like myself, you probably want the feel of flying more than anything else...

Hey Col.Dom, what exactly is wrong with yer eyes? You nearsighted? Ever consider laser surgery or something? Or are they just no-way-in-hell-can-they-fix-those eyes?

Originally posted by Talyn 83
Hey Col.Dom, what exactly is wrong with yer eyes? You nearsighted? Ever consider laser surgery or something? Or are they just no-way-in-hell-can-they-fix-those eyes?

I'm nearsighted and they can be corrected. I may just get the laser surgery just so I don't have to fumble with my glasses and contacts.

Even if I do get my eyes laser-corrected, I only have a 1% chance getting into SUPT because the USAF doesn't like taking people with bad eyesight for initial training. I think that is bogus, because when the majors and colonels start losing their youth, they allow them to get contacts and eye surgery.

Eye surgery is expensive too. I'd have to get myself on a hop or lucky TDY to Lackland AFB, TX to get the surgery done free!

I was told by a serviceman (not a recruiter) that you can increase your chances incredibly if you serve in USAF, THEN have the military doctors perorm the surgery.

Originally posted by Wulf
I was told by a serviceman (not a recruiter) that you can increase your chances incredibly if you serve in USAF, THEN have the military doctors perorm the surgery.

Sounds good. When my enlistment is up, I'll go for it! Thanks for the info!

Ok, good! However, if I were you, I would try asking around about that nownownow so that you won't have to, at the last minute, before your service is up. For all I know, this guy I talked to could have been wrong unintentionally, and it would suck a fat one to find out just when your hopes were up.

Back