No Prophecy GBA in Canada?

Worf

Vice Admiral
OK, I visited EB again today and asked for Prophecy on GBA. Nada. Not even in the computers, or as an upcoming release. However, they appear to have heard of it, which is good (probably from all the game magazines around them).

Wonder if anyone else is carrying it...

Originally posted by Worf
OK, I visited EB again today and asked for Prophecy on GBA. Nada. Not even in the computers, or as an upcoming release. However, they appear to have heard of it, which is good (probably from all the game magazines around them).

Wonder if anyone else is carrying it...

Not yet. Future Shop hasn't gotten it yet, and Best Buy is dry on that. The only thing I heard in EB is that "Yeah, we've been getting a lot of questions about that."

Re: Re: No Prophecy GBA in Canada?

Originally posted by Haesslich
[...]I heard in EB is that "Yeah, we've been getting a lot of questions about that."
Well, hey, that's good news in itself :).

I find it funny that it's easier, in Canada, to get a pirated version of Prophecy than it is to get the real thing. Looks like no one's learned anything about combating piracy. Heck, I think it came out the day after the real thing. And it looks like it may be how some of us get to play it up here, lacking any alternative means.

Yeah, I assumed he meant physical pirated copies in Canada shortly after release, which would be... odd. With a proper understanding, I'll go ahead and respond to this.

I find it funny that it's easier, in Canada, to get a pirated version of Prophecy than it is to get the real thing.

And? It's probably easier for most people to download a ROM than go through the effort of purchasing it somewhere. ROMs of portable systems suck, and considering the fact that if you're going to play it on the computer, there's an actual PC version that'll play much, getting a ROM seems rather stupid.

Looks like no one's learned anything about combating piracy.

That's a pretty stupid comment. Piracy's not really a big deal on portable systems since emulation takes away the whole... you know... portable bit. People who want the game for their GBA are probably going to buy it if it comes out now, or if it comes out in two months, rather than download a ROM.

Heck, I think it came out the day after the real thing. And it looks like it may be how some of us get to play it up here, lacking any alternative means.

Import it. EB ships to Canada.

Not to be contrary, but there are gameboy advance emulators out for PDAs.

I'm not sure how most PDAs handle the whole screen turning issue, but the Zaurus series by Sharp allows you to orient programs different directions, allowing you to hold the Zaurus different ways to really take advantage of 320x240 sideways resolution ratio if you need to.

Originally posted by TC

Import it. EB ships to Canada.

Dunno if they still do that with all those EBs up here - I know Gamestop ships to Canada, though - that's how I got Ultima IX, all those years back. :D They're pretty quick on the shipping as well.

Does Amazon?

Dunno if they still do that with all those EBs up here

Sure they do. Since they don't have a Canadian online store, you have to buy from the US one. They even have a redirect from http://electronicsboutique.ca that explains that prices are in US funds and they pay your GST, PST and duty charges on any items you order.

Does Amazon?

I believe loaf said earlier down that while Amazon does, its subcontractors often do not. In this case TRU for video games.

Yeah, even though I have to pay, being the top bidder at eBay always seems like I've won.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
I believe loaf said earlier down that while Amazon does, its subcontractors often do not. In this case TRU for video games.

Yeah, they don't ship to Canada. I checked a couple of weeks ago

Originally posted by TC
Sure they do. Since they don't have a Canadian online store, you have to buy from the US one. They even have a redirect from http://electronicsboutique.ca that explains that prices are in US funds and they pay your GST, PST and duty charges on any items you order.

I bought some stuff from them a few times, like a Video Card and a few games and I never had any problems. I never paid any taxes or duty charges, but there not that high. I another store, for a 95$US order, I paid 23$ CAN in taxes and duty. (about 5 weeks ago).

Well, I picked up my copy of Prophecy - I didn't bother importing it. Instead, I went to Bellis Fair mall (Bellingham, WA) and picked it up at EB. $29.99 + 7% WA state tax, plus PST/GST. Slightly cheaper than having it sent here (7% tax is less than shipping, and I'd have to pay the PST and GST anyhow).

Just an idea for those of you living close to the border - if you're thinking of hopping across (no reason not to... dollar won't stay this strong for long), pick it up while you're there :).

Back