New Standoff Scoreboards Rank Wingnuts Globally (January 8, 2006)

Sternenwind said:
@Liugi.
WHy not?

I mean, in a broadsword you have more firepower and more shields. If you fly it right, you can make more points in it.

Loke at the Scoreboard. The Broadsword and Crossbow have more points than the Ferret ^^

Because the Ferret is a fighter, and the Broadsword and Crossbow are bombers!

Luigi30 said:
Because the Ferret is a fighter, and the Broadsword and Crossbow are bombers!

The Ferret is a PATROL Fighter,Not an Attacking ship.^^

Bombers has much more Firepower and better shilds and Armor. If you have an fronttal attack you can easily Fight in that as long you do not get a wave of darts against you^^

Only because it is a bomber, it don't mean you cant fight well in it against other Figter.
In real Jalthis and Kants are no Enemys for a broadsword or a Crossbow even 3 Kants aren't a real danger for the bombers.

Icefire69 said:
Well, other could make mission, which then could be insert into Stand Off.
There are no others, however. It's sad, and it's unfortunate, but the only people making missions for WCP are those already working on Standoff. That's why implementing any system allowing additional missions (which, by the way, would be fairly problematic anyway) is a waste of time - it simply wouldn't be of any use to anyone.

Wow, looks like i'm heading for the title of 'Worst Possible Score' now somewhere under 12000 with 24 missions done.

Perhaps I need to rethink my strategies.

It seems like I'm good at getting 5th places :)
Well, not bad for me I think, considering that I'm playing with a simple mouse on a laptop :)

Still I'm gonna try cranc up my score a little :)
Been away too long :)

Haven't been for a while, so I don't know if this has already been covered, but I find that Standoff has very low tolerance for making contact with the CIC server. I scored (BTW, this is the first time I've tried the simulator with the score upload facility) 380 and 500 points using the Ferret on the Confed gauntlet, but the scores didn't seem to get transmitted because I was downloading something else at the same time (I'm still on dial-up). Now, I know they're fairly mediocre scores, but they are still my scores.

I did a quick 50-point run while nothing else was being transferred, and only then did I get my first score. Now I have the dubious honour of being last on the scoreboard. :/

Never noticed that before. I guess I should experiment a bit using my 56k modem... the only trouble is that if I play, I'll want to get as high a score as possible... and then I won't want to lose it :p.

Now you see my problem. :) That's okay, I now know to play without trying to do anything else at the same time.

Ok, well, I just tried it with a download going on - I didn't lose my score, instead the game seemed to pause on death for several seconds (presumably, however long it took to send the data). Not sure why it didn't do that for you, though.

(maybe the sim just knows who's boss :p )

Peidu said:
Wow, looks like i'm heading for the title of 'Worst Possible Score' now somewhere under 12000 with 24 missions done.

Perhaps I need to rethink my strategies.
Did you ever install the simulator patch? Some of your scores aren't being recorded properly. Everyone needs to install this.

https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6867

Last edited:
KrisV said:
Did you ever install the simulator patch? Some of your scores aren't being recorded properly. Everyone needs to install this.

https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6867

Yeh I got emails from Popsicle Pete about it. I hadn't downloaded the update, but since then, my scores have been working perfectly as far as i'm aware... Although, the scoreboard still doesn't *reflect* that:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have getright going all the time when I play, I get the same thing as quarto, a long pause then I die. I haven't lost a score since the patch. Only lost scores I had before was when I beat wave 15 but the patch fixed that.

My first score was lost because my firewall wanted to ask me for permission to allow Standoff.exe access to the Internet. Fair enough. Second score was lost because I had something downloading at the same time. Standoff paused for several seconds upon my virtual death... then nothing - no score again. (Yes, I already installed the patch beforehand.) Just clarifying my experience, that's all - no complaints.

Hmm, well don't let that stop you, I get my best scores when I start playing off-line, guess when it doesn't count you can just relax and do better. Good luck.

yeah yeah I know^^

If noone look, than i got always get 20 000 and more points in evry ship ^_^

But for real...

Come one guys I have some time and my training wiht the new Joystick is going well. If you do not do anything I will take the last Highscores too ^^

Arrghh.. I was going for Arrow Highscore.. and then two stupid DF:s come out of nowhere!!
I am glad to see that there is good competition in TOP 3.
I think that 15 waves is enough, Adding waves would make playing quite time consuming running thru 15 waves can take up to 30min...
About the raptor, are the specs same as in wc1. it seems that it´s even worse than hornet, and in WC1 raptor was the ultimate killing machine, even outperformed rapier at least in shields armor and firepower. Now this raptor in standoff is worst ship available. And it has pair of mass drivers that are good for nothing, and it seems to be bigger "shoot me" float than broadsword..luckily at least neutrons are firing straight.

If I havent mentioned, I must say I love the sim, and Standoff. Thanks for Standoff team!

As has been discussed far too many times in the past, the Raptor is indeed the same ship... but it's actually scaled properly in Standoff. Ships weren't done to scale in WC1 - the lengths listed in the manual had nothing to do with the game. They do in Standoff, however - and as a consequence, the Raptor can't hit anything (because her guns are way too far apart, both horizontally and vertically). And no, we will not be changing this - feel free to look for older threads about the Raptor to understand our reasons :p.

Oh, and congratulations about that Arrow score - must've been frustrating indeed to get within 100 points of a new high score :).

Jarmok said:
Arrghh.. I was going for Arrow Highscore.. and then two stupid DF:s come out of nowhere!!
I am glad to see that there is good competition in TOP 3.

Yep, DFs will stop a highscore attempt in its tracks every time. I never thought I would fear Drakhri more than any other Kilrathi ship...I'm glad I finally got above 10k in a Wraith; once I figured out the right strategy, I scored about 5k more than before. Unfortunately, the Confed fighters require a different style of flying...it seems like an Epee takes me down every time I run that Gauntlet.

Jarmok said:
About the raptor, are the specs same as in wc1. it seems that it´s even worse than hornet, and in WC1 raptor was the ultimate killing machine, even outperformed rapier at least in shields armor and firepower. Now this raptor in standoff is worst ship available.

Actually, I think the Hornet's the worst ship of the bunch (ignoring the Tarsus, of course) for several reasons. First, it's got the armor equivalent of tin foil. The Hornet's faster, but not by much. It's got a weaker missile loadout; one guided missile compared to five on the Raptor (plus the torpedo I wish I could swap out...where's Pliers when you need him?) Not only does the Hornet have no gun convergence (I just use the Neutron guns on the Raptor), but no MISSILE convergence; anyone who's tried to shoot a DF off point-blank knows what I mean. The only advantage to the Hornet is that it's got less of a cross-section. Not that I'm complaining; their shortcomings make it more interesting.

Jarmok said:
If I havent mentioned, I must say I love the sim, and Standoff. Thanks for Standoff team!

Ditto. I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

Quarto said:
As has been discussed far too many times in the past, the Raptor is indeed the same ship... but it's actually scaled properly in Standoff. Ships weren't done to scale in WC1 - the lengths listed in the manual had nothing to do with the game. They do in Standoff, however - and as a consequence, the Raptor can't hit anything (because her guns are way too far apart, both horizontally and vertically). And no, we will not be changing this - feel free to look for older threads about the Raptor to understand our reasons :p.

After all those threads, I never understood why you didn't model it to scale and then just have the guns shoot out at angles to converge like they did in WC1. But now that that Simulator is active, you can't change it.

Back