New Standoff Scoreboards Rank Wingnuts Globally (January 8, 2006)

My strategy on bomber use:

Fly away and use the tail gun. Adjust shields, and fire the tail gun again. Any enemy that veers off becomes mass driver fodder. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

A lot of it is shield management. Be sure to knock down as many missles as possible that are fired at ya. Sometimes it helps to turn the ship 180 degrees, so that the forward shields can soak up damage as the rear shields recharge. That is a last resort effort only, because you'll want the enemies in a line for the turret, and flying through a cluster will make them veer away all over the place.

A suggestion- perhaps you could penalize the player that doesn't survive the sim mission by docking him some points? It would create competing incentives to eject- the "i'm hosed, so I better retain my score" vs. "if I don't eject now, I might get a few more kills and boost my score further then I stand to lose by dying." It would also make ejecting a strategic decision as opposed to only a quick way to leave the sim mission. Probably wouldn't be super hard to implement, though I might be wrong.

I'm not sure we should penalize people for dying since we're trying to reward people's dogfighting skills... we want them to stay there trying to kill stuff for as long as they can, so there's no reason to turn "knowing-when-to-eject" into a score maker.

Man do I HATE my wireless network. That's the second time I have a topscore in the gladius, only to discover that my wireless connection has broken during play :(((
Now I'm still on a shared first place

yeah such things sucks.

But you know,... If you fly with your rapir at Nighmare and got to wave 11 and you know you would have the hoighscore and it crash....it also frustrating....

so cheer up and try again;)

Besides where are all the Pilots? Only 55 Pilots are in the List. Come on guys, try it and fly the sims for the Highscore ^^

Sternenwind said:
yeah such things sucks.

But you know,... If you fly with your rapir at Nighmare and got to wave 11 and you know you would have the hoighscore and it crash....it also frustrating....

so cheer up and try again;)

Besides where are all the Pilots? Only 55 Pilots are in the List. Come on guys, try it and fly the sims for the Highscore ^^

I think between you, Justice and U4eake the top scores are pretty much sealed. Kind of disappointing to see one name top the list for every single fighter. Don't get me wrong, I salute you and your skill but it's still disappointing. Anyway, still a great game, gang, love the simulator option it was neat perk to an already great game.

tht can't be... I know that i am not the worst Pilot in the World, but it can't be that...

I mean, the Bombers ... I tried it, but no chance, No idea how you get this amount of Points, the darts kill me..
And i Don't know why but i can't handel the Rapier much better i do not reach the High score.
But the Other Ship. The Gladius fpr Exampel, it isnt so hartd to beat my points.
The Epee and Wraith points are preatty good, but the other points can sure be beaten, especcilly the Morning Star, it wasn'Ät a great run as I get the Highscore in that baby.

Haven't tried the Gladius yet. Personally, I do not know how ppl can get so high in the fighters, because I always run out of fuel, and missles kill me when I try to conserve it as best I can. I give up, because I got more important things to concentrate on :p

Wulf said:
Haven't tried the Gladius yet. Personally, I do not know how ppl can get so high in the fighters, because I always run out of fuel, and missles kill me when I try to conserve it as best I can. I give up, because I got more important things to concentrate on :p

Two reasons mainly: nightmare difficulty (gives you 50 base score per kill) and quick kills (especially streaks of those: (100 for first QK, 150 for second, 200 for third in a row etc.)

yeah quick kill is important.

My Highscores are full of Quick kills and when i ran out of full I use the rocks to hide and get to wave 11 to refill, the only problem is, that the enemys can fire their missels throuig the rocks ;(

And I fly at Nighmare most the time^^

Haha, there :)
Plugged my laptop in with a wire :)
Another sternenwind high score defeated :)
The high scores sure can be defeated, maj striker. It just takes some folks who have some spare time to practise :)
Actually I really hated flying the gladius for a long time. But in the beginning it had a low high score and seemed like an easy way to get in the high scores :)
Now I guess I'm kinda addicted to it :)

Cingratulation;)
I won't try to get the Highscore back for the next time. It is boring to see my Name evrywhere^^

But you are damm right. You have to practice with a ship. I am used fpr the Epee. I really have Problems to fly the other ships at the moment^^

I tell you. I will try it. My epee schroe shall beat the Wraith^^

Wow

I downloaded Part 3 over the weekend, completed both parts in the same night, and thought it was amazing! Except when I failed a mission, I really wanted bradshaw to punch the comm officers lights out because of his smart ass attitude, maybe he should try being a flyboy!
Another thing, does anyone have the original wing commander, I cant find it anywhere and i'd really love to bring those childhood memories back and kick some kilrathi tail

Unregistered said:
I downloaded Part 3 over the weekend, completed both parts in the same night, and thought it was amazing! Except when I failed a mission, I really wanted bradshaw to punch the comm officers lights out because of his smart ass attitude, maybe he should try being a flyboy!
Another thing, does anyone have the original wing commander, I cant find it anywhere and i'd really love to bring those childhood memories back and kick some kilrathi tail

I doubt anyone here is interesting in selling their copy, but there are always copies coming and going online at places like eBay or Half.com

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-WING-CO...857665764QQcategoryZ80336QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Wing-Commander-...857550528QQcategoryZ80328QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/ESTATE-Video-Ga...8253659834QQcategoryZ4315QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/1990-Origin-WIN...8252257483QQcategoryZ4315QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i know what you mean-....

i can't fly my Epee anymore it crash at wave 3 and wave7... but before I could fly it perfectly, if I only would knew what i have done...

Well the sim is rock solid now, good work guys.

Is it ok to brag on my score? I know I could have gotten a better one but I got sloppy for a second and a dart came out of nowhere. Overall though a good day for me :D

Anyway I wanted to add a suggestion for episode 4 sim scores:

It would be cool if you got a bonus on kills if you lose a system, I don't know how many times a friggin dart has trashed my guns or my shields. Having a lucky dart kill your shields in wave 4 and making it to wave 11 should be worth something I think.

Maybe if that's possible it could be the percent of the total bonus your systems are damaged but that might get overly complex and there is something to be said for evading skills also. But having a system die from one bad run in with a missile isn't the same thing as not evading and should be worth a little something.

Just a quick edit to add this thought about my suggestion:

It would be alot more meaningful for the other sim missions because there you have a mission and aren't just killing everything you can. In a case like that preforming your mission with a banged up ship is a mark of courage, skill and determination.

Back