New Standoff Scoreboards Rank Wingnuts Globally (January 8, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
An all new feature has been added to Standoff with Episode 3. The TCS Firekka's Simulator is now connected to a global ranking system! Visit the Standoff Simulator Scoreboards to see how you stack up against everyone else as a Wing Commander pilot. The numbers are broken down by mission & fighter, mission & pilot and fighters overall. The board currently tracks data from sim missions one and two, the Confederation and Kilrathi Gauntlets. More missions will be phased in during future episodes. Players must have Episode 3 installed and be aboard Episode 2-5's TCS Firekka to access the sim. Users are identified by their unique Crius.net ID which is input into the Launcher setup menu. More details are available in the How To Play guide. We're excited to see how everyone will do!

--
Original update published on January 8, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Fatcat said:
Finally! This is a definite step towards the ultimate goal: full online dogfighting.

Yeah, I don't think the importance of this can be understated. However, you do have HCl's Armada Online patch for online dogfighting as an option too. :)

Fatcat said:
If a PvP add-on was created, we could have Kilrathi Vs Confed Tournements.

Actually adding online multiplayer to the Vision Engine would be much more difficult. But this does make certain kinds of special tournament play and such possible.

Me too, but I'm quite rusty, as you can see from my scores...

I keep getting beaned with dumbfires around wave 10 with most ships, and lose my afterburner or guns :(

Too bad we can't see more details about the scores, like what difficulty they were played on, the time spent, what wave was reached, how many quick kills, etc... I imagine most of that isn't known when the score is reported though.

Well, I could have arranged to send tons of data, but what would that tell you ? And how to organise that information ? We've been having a hard time figuring out how to make the data we have now readable and meaningfull.

Now, if you have suggestions for our next Ep4 upgrade, I am opened to it; but submit well thought ideas, along with details on how you'd show it. Just throwing information on a page isn't good enough. Also, keep in mind we only keep each player's best score for each ship, else the database could get huge.

Keeping a full history for each player is possible, as long as only the best score for each ship is used for player ranking. Even millions of records don't pose a problem if only a fraction are ever accessed simultaneously.

Well, my thoughts were that it would be cool to be able to look at, for example, the top crossbow score and see exactly how it was achieved. Did he play on a low difficulty or a high difficulty, get a long ways into the waves, or just quick kill everything in sight. As far as display goes, adding those fields to the tables in the "Global rankings for <player>" is all I really would be interested to see. I don't know if there would be any interesting stats you could generate from that data or not.

Justice said:
Me too, but I'm quite rusty, as you can see from my scores...
Rusty? Those Broadsword and Crossbow scores beg to differ :p. I played a lot with the Crossbow, and never got past a thousand. How did you do it? :)

I use the turrets a lot to drive away enemy ships, shoot down missiles, and get quick kills while my main guns are drained. Since I'm playing on nightmare, I also usually wind up having to shoot down 5-10 hs or df missiles with them too. Not like I'll be dodging anything much in a broadsword...

Anyone have a wierd wave come up while playing? I had one wave 5 versus 5 raptors, that was fun - I was in a epee or wraith I think, and I love fighting big slow targets.

Justice said:
Too bad we can't see more details about the scores, like what difficulty they were played on, the time spent, what wave was reached, how many quick kills, etc... I imagine most of that isn't known when the score is reported though.

PopsiclePete said:
Well, I could have arranged to send tons of data, but what would that tell you ? And how to organise that information ? We've been having a hard time figuring out how to make the data we have now readable and meaningfull.

One way to do this was with medals. Not sure if you were there. Might have been Eder I was talking with. http://www.bungie.net/Games/Halo2/page.aspx?section=FAQInfo&subsection=medals&page=medals is a place to start to see how they organize quite a bit of information pretty well. Quick Kills could be measured by a medal of some sort like the double/triple/killtrocities on that page. There's probably a few other creative ones in there too.

What would be cool is to have extra medals WC1 style - so many quick kills in a row could earn you the silver star. Likewise we can see who bothers to eject in the sim by giving out bronze suns.
That or a system where players can challenge others on the board to duels finally sorting out whos the best hotdog out there, simple system where the pilots agree on a ship and mission and the next time they're in the sim in the agreed ships the data could be sent to a duel scores page instead.

Just my 2 cents worth.

EDIT: Whoops, kinda skipped over Chris's post there. Guess I second that idea then.

Posted by Justice
I use the turrets a lot to drive away enemy ships, shoot down missiles,

Impressive. I loved to play Bombers in my old days, but I donÄt know why. My enemys only Fire at short Distance....

Perhaps i should fly at ace in this case and make some kills more, but Nighmare is much more fun^^

Quarto said:
Rusty? Those Broadsword and Crossbow scores beg to differ :p. I played a lot with the Crossbow, and never got past a thousand. How did you do it? :)

Finally someone with some bomber skills. Didn't I preach time after time that the Crossbow isn't that bad a ship? <g>

I gotta go with you guys, ive been tryin to use my favorite ship forever ( broadsword) and cant even begin to touch your score, I think I might have to take it off of nightmare......

It will take some time, but I think it is possibil to rech these points, but I need luck, there are some Kilrathi and Confed ships which I can't beat in these Bombers.

I get so many Darts in my ship....that's not fair :(

Back