New Capship

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
I have designed a new capship that could be modeled for one of the Games. It is the Confederation II class. I designed it to replace the Concordia class fleet carriers which are obsolete. Its sort of a fleet carrier mixed with the offensive power of a Bengal Class Here are the specs. Tell me what you think is good or what the ship might need. It sort of looks like a strtched, sleeker Confed class with the Landing bay in the rear between the engines. i know I'm 13 but I have made detailed sketches of this thing over the summer and I think it could be the next big thing in ConFleet.

Confederation II Class
Class: Fleet Battle Carrier (CVB)
Length: 1765 Meters
Speed:210 KPS
Cruise:145KPS
Shields: Phase: 7340 Cm on all sides
Armor: F 9000 R 9000 S 8000
Fighters: 360 (All types) 3 wings with 2 squdrons each for a total of 60 fighters per squadron.
Armament: 40 Point Defence\AA Laser\Mass Driver Turrets
20 Dual barrel Anti Matter Turrets
2 High Energy Plasma Turrets (5x as powerful as Devastator PC)
12 Torpedo (Capmiss) tubes
4 missile turrets.

Basicallt it's a Bengal Class on steroids with 3x as many fighters

Sigh... here it goes again. :rolleyes:

Bandit LOAF said:
TCS Concordia III: SuperConcordia
by James Boswell

Class: Ultra Heavy UltraCarrier Sivarnaught
Length: 10,955 meters
Width: 5,111 meters (Big)
Height: 5 meters
# of Pods: ?
Speed: Yes
Max. Speed: 155 kps
Afterburner Speed: 157 kps
Cru. Speed: 1,999 kps
Max. Y/P/R: 360/360/365
Missile Mass: 7
Side Armor: 100 meters
Left Armor: 5 cm
Missile Mass: 7
Right Armor: 10 cm
Fore Armor: 153 meters
Forward Armor: 117 meters
Rear Armor: 200 meters
Backwards Armor: -200 meters
Shields: 3
Shield #1: 200 eons
Shield #2: 1 parsec
Shield #3: T-Bomb
Armaments:
T-Bomb Nuclear Missiles (10)
Phasers (None)
Double Mount Triple Quad Neudron Guns (111)
Turret Guns, Large (255)
Turret Guns, Small (7)
Space Fighters (112)
Space Bombers (125)
Transports (4)
Corvettes (7)
Other Smaller Versions of Itself Contained Wholly Within (2)
PhaseCloak: Possibly
That Gun that the Behemoth Had: Probably
Jump Drive: Certainly
Can it See Cloaked Fighters: Indeed
Nebula Generator: No
Sex: Male
IN SERVICE - 10
TCS Concordia III (Nameship)
TCS Concordia IV (Sister Ship)
TCS Party Hearty
TCS Lara Croft: The Tomb Raider
TCS DragonLance
TCS Thank Goodness
TCS Lobster Men
TCS Wing Commander Prophecy
TCS Monty Python
TCS WildWeasel
TCS Admiral Wilson Tolwyn III
TCS Enterprise NCC-1701G

The TCS Concordia III was designed by the kind folks at BuWeaps! who designed it to be designed towards a single design retrospective: "It must kick ass" - Admiral Tallwood. The first TCS Concordia III class ship was delivered to the Etruscan IV shipyards in the Sollalaya system. The Concordia III immediately went into action against pirates and their families, completely wiping out piracy alltogether. Later, it saved the universe from the evil grasps of the Steltek and various other races that we decided to say are our enemies despite only having been mentioned briefly in novels. Of all the ships in the universe, it is by far the best. It has four engines.

I just looked at that, at least my design is PRATICAL AND NOT ONLY 15 FEET HIGH YET IS THE DISTANCE FROM NEW YORK CITY TO BAYONNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I sumise many of you are checking that) AND IT DOES NOT HAVE A CRAPPY STAR TREK REFERENCE. NOT TO MENTION THAT IT DOESN'T HAVE BACKWARDS ARMOR!, RATED AT -200CM OR CONTAIN TWO VERSIONS OF ITSELF INSIDE. WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TAKE MY DESIGN SERIOUSLY!!!!!

Sorry

Seriously man, calm down. I don't think a Confed class is a good bed for something like that. The Vesuvius already handles what that does. Go check out CIC's nice little ship database, although some of it is incomplete(Which is understandable).

It's not a Confederation Class, It's more of a combo between the Bengal and Confed class, if you checked the updated specs, the ship is bigger, faster, more heavily armed, more armored, has more fighters and if i could include pictures, looks cooler than the Vesuvius Class . The ship is meant to directly counter the Nephilin Dreadnought, hence the designation Battle Carrier

lets start from the start
why call it "concordia II"? no one names a ship or class after an older model than put a II

Im sure you want to make a reference or bring up something back, but really, at least give it an original name

and, no, I didnt read the stats or compare with anything

- K

PS: Lay down the sugar. You need calm down

Sylvester said:
It's not a Confederation Class, It's more of a combo between the Bengal and Confed class, if you checked the updated specs, the ship is bigger, faster, more heavily armed, more armored, has more fighters and if i could include pictures, looks cooler than the Vesuvius Class . The ship is meant to directly counter the Nephilin Dreadnought, hence the designation Battle Carrier

If you want to have something that will take out a Bug Dreanaught you'll need to take it from behind. That Plasma gun will waste anything. Better to use fighters against that anyway.

Sylvester said:
I just looked at that, at least my design is PRATICAL WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TAKE MY DESIGN SERIOUSLY!!!!!

It's impractical because the Vesuvius already does everything this ship does. Further, most ships, especially Carriers, should not be tangling with Nephilim Dreadnoughts. Their shipkiller plasma weapon makes fighters and bombers the method of choice for taking them out.

Give me your EMAIL preacher and I'll send you a sketch. I forgot about the Dreadnought's Ship Killer, maybe you can view this as a more effective version of the MegaCarrier, I mean from the CIC statistics, my ship is more heavily armed, carries more fighters, is faster and more manuvrable, it seems like it could take on a capship like the Kilrathi Dreadnought for example better than the Midway class can.

BTW, the prod. schedule for these ships is as follows, two will be built every year.

2682-TCS Confederation CVBX 1 and TCS Concordia CVB 2
2683-TCS Christopher Blair CVB 3 and TCS Yorktown CVB 4
2684-TCS Waterloo CVB 5 and TCS Enterprise CVB 6
2685-TCS Intrepid CVB 7 and :) TCS Tiger's Claw CVB 8
Future ships built when needed

Sylvester said:
Confederation II Class
Length: 1850 Meters
Fighters: 360 (All types) 3 wings with 2 squdrons each for a total of 60 fighters per squadron.
4 missile turrets.

Updated,

P/Y/R 9.5DPS

Mass 265,000 MT

Powerplant Five 500 MW rated Fusion Reactors

Acceleration 0-210 KPS in 9 seconds

As for attacking the Bug Dreadnought, this would be the tatic. Since the Plasma Killer Weapon takes time to lock on this ship take advantage of that time to disable the weapon or even destroy the dreadnought. The ship would launch a full spread of torps (8) along with the two plasma cannons and the forward antimatter guns. The ship would then dive underneath the Dreadnought Also, the Confed II class travels about as fast as a Shrike's crusing speed so I believe that the ship could easily out manuver the dreadnought so it coudn't bring the gun to bear.

naming convertions for kilrathi ships are not exactly very normal
not only could the fralthi II be just a name given by very unimaginative humans, but could simply be their different way of naming ships.

Like, why would aliens call one of their ships "zulu"? :)

- K

The key to designing a good fanfic ship isn't to stuff as much crud as possible into it -- it's to make it believable in the context of the WC universe. "My ship has more guns and more speed and more fighters than any other ship" isn't worth much -- you have to develop your ship believably.

Confederation II Class

It's hard to believe that a ship would be 'Concordia II' class... when there have already been two classes of ships (and three total ships) named Concordia. There's also never been any indication that human ships (ie, two Trafalgars, three Concordias, etc.) are given a 'II' designation -- I'm sure ^Death can give you some insite on to why that is from a naval perspective.

The 'CVA' (Attack Carrier) and WC-specific 'CVS' (Dreadnaught) seem to have wholly replaced the classical CVB designation.

Length: 1850 Meters

The problem with a design like this -- ignoring the ugh-factor involved in the chest-pounding-I'm-the-biggest-ship factor -- is that it doesn't make sense in the context of the Wing Commander universe. Put yourself there. It's 2681 and Confed has just started rolling out the Midway-class. Now... what's the indication from Prophecy? That the Midway-class is just another in a long line of crazy superdreadnaughts? No -- we see political fighting over the fact that so much money is being wasted on these post-war ships... and we see people in the navy unhappy that the Midway-class is going to be the focus of the fleet. If there were another, secret, super-duper-er carrier, none of this would make sense.

Also, consider production time. It takes five years to build a shipyard, five years to tool it up to produce a carrier class and then five years per carrier. A carrier needs at *least* a ten year lead time (assuming the availability of a yard -- which is limited, because the WC universe is set up to prevent crazy one-shot carriers). If your carrier is entering service in 2682, it must have been designed by 2671 and finalized by 2676. It's hard to believe that the Midway program would go through if another, significantly more amazing carrier was just months behind it.

That's kind of silly -- the ship is larger *and* more massive than the Midway and Vesuvius-class heavy carriers... and yet it is significantly faster? Its cruising speed is almost twice the maximum speed of the Midway. You have to ask yourself *how* and *why*. If Confed has the technological capacity to build a 265,000 tonne ship which travels at 210 kps, why doesn't the equally new (and slightly smaller) Midway-class do so?

Here, this is exactly what I'm talking about. You've got a ship which enters service in 2681 which has two to four times the armor of *any* current Confed capital ship. How? Why?

Point of order: Squadrons (WCP FMV confusion aside) are made up of 16 fighters in the post-war era. A ship carrying three wings of fighters would probably have wings of 96 fighters each (six squadrons each), plus a smattering of small support ships.

That's not very descriptive. Which is it?

That's a heck of a lot of anti-matter turrets... in an era where new ships are produced without any at all. Consider that the Plunkett-class, a ship specifically designed for energy bombardment, carries *no* anti-matter guns. Consider that even the war-era designs which were armed with AMGs are produced in the post-war era with only lasers... anti-matter is an expensive commodity. The only modern ship which mounts AMGs is the Vesuvius-class -- and it's already been outclassed by the Midway. If you're still serious about designing a carrier, my suggestion would be Dual Ion turrets like the Midway's anti-capital ship system.

Be a bit more specific -- are you talking about the Hades-class' Mark IV cannon? You probably wouldn't see a carrier designed in 2671-75 mounting plasma weapons... since their value was only recently seen in the battle with the Nephilim.

Again, point of order -- torpedoes are not capital ship missiles. Torpedoes are torpedoes -- capital ship missiles are huge, high-yield warheads... for planetary bombardment and such (and anti-shipping, though they're easily shot down) we see them in WC3 and WC4. Now, a lot of new guys see the damage yield for CapMisses (6,000 cm) and get glazed eyes and stick them all over their ships... but you have to consider the background fiction -- CapMisses are *obsolete*... they're old technology which is easily defended against with point defense guns. The Ranger-class had a CSM launcher because it was very, very old.

4 missile turrets.

What type of missiles?

So what's the downside? There's *always* a downside! You can't have more fighters without sacraficing something else.

P/Y/R 9.5DPS

Acceleration 0-210 KPS in 9 seconds

That's kind of crazy. Consider about 6 kps/s for a capital ship (as per End Run).

Also, the Confed II class travels about as fast as a Shrike's crusing speed so I believe that the ship could easily out manuver the dreadnought so it coudn't bring the gun to bear.

When figuring capital ship combat, you need to consider scoops-closed speeds.

BTW, the prod. schedule for these ships is as follows, two will be built every year.

To produce two carriers *every* year, you must have *ten* shipyards... the Midway program has only five -- the Vesuvius program only three. How the heck would your carrier get *ten*?

2682-TCS Confederation CVBX 1 and TCS Concordia CVB 2
2683-TCS Christopher Blair CVB 3 and TCS Yorktown CVB 4
2684-TCS Waterloo CVB 5 and TCS Enterprise CVB 6
2685-TCS Intrepid CVB 7 and TCS Tiger's Claw CVB 8
Future ships built when needed

These names are silly -- they're just copies of existing ships with no theme further than that... do something original! (Furthermore, if the ship is Concordia-class, then the first one should be the Concordia...)

Back