My Xbox got the Red Ring of Death...

Well, maybe I'll find out soon. I lent a friend my XBox yesterday, he called me in the evening and told me that he got the RRoD as soon as he plugged the Box in. I told him to try again some time later but he hasn't phoned yet whether it helped or not.

So, my XBox finally got the real RRoD. I phoned the support and am waiting for the UPS sticker. I am sort of excited whether I'll get a new one or not and how long it will take this time.

At least my friend to whom I'll lend the XBox again, once it returned, can take advantage of that 1 month Gold subscription. :)

So, my XBox finally got the real RRoD. I phoned the support and am waiting for the UPS sticker. I am sort of excited whether I'll get a new one or not and how long it will take this time.

At least my friend to whom I'll lend the XBox again, once it returned, can take advantage of that 1 month Gold subscription. :)

Just heard today that Hades had Xbox #4 die on him this week. :)

I don't really know about newer xbox models.. I think they still have the problem to some extent. None of my xboxes have been a newer model though..

Xbox number 1 was a launch model that was the most reliable of the lot.. it lasted nearly 2 years before it broke.
Xbox number 2 was the same one but with a reconditioned board.. which lasted about 2 hours.
Xbox number 3 was a mid-2007 model from just before the new ones with HDMI came out.. that lasted about 6 months.
Xbox number 4 is a mid-2006 model which also lasted about 6 months and will go back to Microsoft's repair centre in Germany tomorrow.

I hope I get a newer model to replace this one, but I won't get my hopes up. I'll find out in a few weeks when the next replacement shows up.

Thanks for the info and I feel for you! I got an email yesterday that my XBox arrived, we'll see how quick they are.

Is the warranty prolonged every time you get a fixed/new one?

I don't think so.. actually I think I'm kind of lucky with that in a way since the original 3 year warranty runs out in about 2 weeks. So if the thing had died 3 weeks later, I might have been facing a repair bill.

My xbox was collected today so I'll see how long it takes to fix.

Some people also opt to fix their own because their warranty is already expired.

The Xbox has a 1 year warranty, 3 years for Red Rings. HOWEVER, once yours has been replaced/repaired for Red Ring, then you only get 1 year from the date of the "replacement" or "repaired" Xbox. If mine dies this week, then I don't get a new one. $100 to get it fixed, or I can just try and fix it myself, or spend $200 on a new ARCADE model, and just swap my hard drive over.

I'm worried about my 360 going down, too... it froze up on me last week... making me nervous!

NuAngel

That's the official word. My friend's 360 - which he got at launch - got the Red Ring 2 1/2 years ago. The same 360 got it again four weeks ago; well out of range of the 1 years 'refurbish' warranty. Yet, they told him just to send it in, free of charge. Seems like so long as it's the red-ring - at least in his particular case - they were content to do it as though it were still under full warranty. The tech he spoke to said something along the lines of, "Yeah, when it comes to red rings, we basically just fix it as though the warranty were indefinite. It's been happening less often."

Reading the posts that've been made here since I last was on this thread in August... just going to note that when I got my 360 back a few months ago it WAS indeed a brand new one. Quite happy with it still too.

I got my XBox back today, it has been exactly 7 days since it was picked up and 9 days since I phoned the support.

I got my old one back, so no HDMI for me. Oh well, I just hope the repaired one will last long enough...

UPS delivered my xbox to the repair place (in Frankfurt) on Wednesday, but the xbox repair tracking thingy still says "Waiting for Device at Service Center". I wonder if it's too soon to get worried.

I wouldn't worry because worrying is annoying. :)

Edit: so, that's the New XBox Experience...hmm, I am not so sure I find it that more accessible. With time, I guess.

UPS delivered my xbox to the repair place (in Frankfurt) on Wednesday, but the xbox repair tracking thingy still says "Waiting for Device at Service Center". I wonder if it's too soon to get worried.

If I'm remembering right, I recall that nothing showed up on my tracking *at all* until I pretty much had my xbox back (which was a new unit - though unfortunately not a new style model).

so, that's the New XBox Experience...hmm, I am not so sure I find it that more accessible. With time, I guess.

I like it. it's pretty easy really. Basically the 'my xbox' level is the equivalent of the old dashboard, with the marketplace stuff being spread across the other levels, and then a new level for friends. You also have a bit better access to features from within a game. Pressing the big xbox button in the middle now gives you a simplified version of the old dashboard. Also, pretty much everything is easier to read, and there's a lot more info available on any given game or video when you go to the marketplace entry for them. (as well as the ability to search through the videos alphabetically and not having to scroll through them all)

about the only thing I don't care for are the avatars which are a lot easier to ignore than I thought they were going to be.

I haven't had much time with the new design so I guess I just haven't looked hard enough but I had trouble finding my achivements for non arcade games. In the game library section - even though the games I played per disc showed on the picture - there was nothing to be found, I think.

I haven't had much time with the new design so I guess I just haven't looked hard enough but I had trouble finding my achivements for non arcade games. In the game library section - even though the games I played per disc showed on the picture - there was nothing to be found, I think.

When you hit 'A' while on the 'games library' page of the 'my xbox level it should give you a list (like on the old dashboard) of all your games. Clicking on the game you want should bring up a multilevel display with that particular game's related info. The second page should be a nifty display of your acheivements. Alternately you should be able to get to them easily enough with the interface that shows up using the bix Xbox button in the middle of the controler.

Actually, I just found out it does that when hitting the profile page on the "My XBox" level, I guess you meant that.

Because initially, I searched in the games library section as well but there it only shows demos and arcade games. I knew about the XBox button but thought there had to be a level where the achievements were shown in a better looking way...

Thanks nonetheless, though.

Back