My new project

BES said:
The thing ive always hated in ST and Wing Commander games was the fact that I couldnt do something other than walk around the ship and go flying,so I like the idea of a FPS.
Well, what I'd like to see is something like Pioneers first person view on stations on a carrier. Could help with the immersion.

BES said:
The thing ive always hated in ST and Wing Commander games was the fact that I couldnt do something other than walk around the ship and go flying,so I like the idea of a FPS.

What about 'walk around and shoot' do you find compelling that doesn't exist in 'walk around and then fly and shoot'?

ChrisReid said:
What about 'walk around and shoot' do you find compelling that doesn't exist in 'walk around and then fly and shoot'?

Haven't you ever wanted in a WC game to have more than just several screens available with the occasional plot-related NPC chat? I reckon personally a combination engine is needed that handles aspects of both FPS and flight sims. Preferrably one that takes into account the expected size difference between the inside of a ship and the outside (taking into account how small carriers seem compared to their interiors like the TCS victory for instance), that there is more to the world than the flight deck and adjacent rooms and with a decent, free form style of play (instead of the rigid 'fly mission' stuck-in-the-storyline approach).

Anyone played Freelancer? Take that and give it Wing Commander's multi-paths story on a much larger scale, add a first person planetside/shipside with freedom of movement and action and the maybe build it for multiplayer compatibility (even MMO possibly) and there's perfection right there.

Fenris_117 said:
Haven't you ever wanted in a WC game to have more than just several screens available with the occasional plot-related NPC chat?

Of course, but adding the ability to shoot those NPCs and taking away the flight portions doesn't deliver that. The original statement I was replying to talked about preferring FPS games over space combat sims because they let you do more, but the vast majority of FPSes actually do not. The ability to go beyond the basics isn't an inherent benefit available in the FPS genre. Developers have the exact same ability to build that into a WC style space sim if they chose to.

Fenris_117 said:
Anyone played Freelancer? Take that and give it Wing Commander's multi-paths story on a much larger scale, add a first person planetside/shipside with freedom of movement and action and the maybe build it for multiplayer compatibility (even MMO possibly) and there's perfection right there.

So what part of Freelancer is contributing to this perfection exactly? It sounds to me like you're describing a Wing Commander game with more freedom of movement and a multiplayer component. Why mention Freelancer at all in this equation?

Shooting the NPCs(yeah im a crazy man and wants to run all over the ship and kill off all the NPCs..~~~) is not what I meant...like combine something like Elite Force with Wing Commander, if you land on a planet or a station with your fighter and end up having to defend yourself you could, like all them cutscenes with blair in combat due to landing on a station,instead of watching.

BES said:
like combine something like Elite Force with Wing Commander

I thought the idea of space marines in Star Trek was cool, but I still found playing EF and EF2 to be very boring and painful. Things were stretched out just to create play time, and gameplay in general was Just Another FPS.

Where can I find the downloads for the modeling tools needed to mod vega strike? I looked on their site and all I see is the game downloads. And in case anyone has been wondering, and I bet you haven't he he Wing Commander: The Hero's Legacy is still in production. Just all taking our time working on the story. As many of you all have said it does show lots of potential. Although with the holidays creeping up on us all there isn't much time to work on the project due to my employment status, work always has to come first. So far there are still only two of us here working on it. I appreciate everyone's help and insight as to the project.

Back