My new project

matthew954

Spaceman
Ok, I have gotten an idea for a new game. I would like anyones impressions before I proceed. Here goes:

Game:

Wing Commander: Legacy

Setting:

100 years following Wing Commander: Prophecy

Story:

In the time following events with the Nephilum forces, humans and Kilrathi have learned to put aside their differences and work to the common good of both races. Thus the newly reorganized Terran Republic is born. A joint venture of both the Terrans and Kilrathi. Former warships of the Kilrathi and Confed begin patroling all corners of known space. But with economical problems of organizing the republic and that there are no known aggressors to challenge the Republic. The Great Assembly votes to disband the Joint military, and chooses to use the excessive amount of credits to reinforce Security forces.

Many high ranking officials within the former confed/kilrathi military do not believe that the whole fleet should be mothballed. They work together to modify transfer orders and manage to send a few ships full of fighters to a remote base in the Sol System asteroid belt.

Solaris Station. A completely automated repair dock for confed and Kilrathi ships. Within it holds the future of both Earth and its allies. While the Republic decommishions ships by the dozens, a few ships will be tucked away in perfect condition. The officials and military officers hope that they will never need to be used. But one problem stills rises, who wil pilot these craft? They all decide that they will use games to secretly train their children and grand children to fight.

Several years pass and the new government sees the creation of an anti human group amongst the Kilrathi, calling themselves "Free Kilrah". They believe in all the old texts that believe the Terrans will bring about the and of the world for all Kilrathi. They preach that the Kilrathi alies of the Terrans are traitors to Sivar and must be eliminated. After this message, hundreds of attacks begin throughout the republic. The Great Assembly votes to reinstate the military to combat this threat. But unfortunately the shipyards of warcraft have seen better days. all ships show major signs of neglect and will take months to restore before they can be rearmed. The Senators begin pointing fingers at who put the new government into the sorry situation it is now in. The officers of the old navy speak out that there is still a chance to survive the crisis. They speak of the existense of Solaris Station and of the new crews and pilots for the strike craft docked there. Terran and Kilrathi sons and daughters of those officers and government officials begin showing up at Solaris Station and finding out what their parents have left for them.

Plot:

This game follows the lives of both Terran and Kilrathi pilots who have been trained since childhood to fight for the benefit of all humanity and kilrathi. Players will have wingmen of both Terran and Kilrathi. The game will take place on both Terran and Kilrathi carriers.

Well that is the general idea I have gotten so far. I would like anyones impressions of how it sounds and if it sounds like a decent enough story what engine should I use for it? Flight Commander, or Secret Ops engine like used for Standoff or Unknown Enemy? I appreciate anyones insight of the game and any suggestions for improvement of the story.

I'd suggest making 1 or 2 example missions in each engine, and see how that goes, and see what you like better. If you need either Flight Commander or Secret Ops support, I'm sure you can find friendly support in the fora here for both. While it's fun to hear Flight Commander in the same sentence as secret ops, it's really comparing apples and oranges.

What files do I need to get started? The only games Ive designed for is No One Lives Forever, and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. Wing Commander seems to be a whole new ballpark.

There's a few odd things in your outline. I think there's been other projects named "Wing Commander Legacy." Nephilum is spelled wrong. It's Nephilim.

Why is there a new "Terran Republic" at all? We already know from Privateer 2 that the Terran Confederation still exists more than a hundred years after Prophecy, and it's not like adding the Kilrathi to the mix needs to change Confed's structure. The Confederation as we know it already has other alien races as members. If you were going to somehow create a new organization with the Kilrathi as a major part, you wouldn't call it the *Terran* Republic either.

A "remote base" in the Sol System asteroid belt doesn't make sense. The Sol System asteroid belt is smack in the middle of what should be one of the busiest systems in known space. "Free Kilrah" sounds kinda tacky.

It sounds to me like you're much more interested in writing the story than making a game. If you're asking what game engine to mod and where to start, I honestly think you're way ahead of yourself here. On average, successful game mods take *years* of programming and design work. From a historical perspective, a fan mod with a one-page plot description and team lead who doesn't know anything about modding WC engines pretty much has a zero chance of getting off the ground.

If you're serious at all about continuing with this, you need to spend a few weeks researching programming and the tools available for the various space sim engines and take a hard look at whether you can see yourself hacking away at them for the hundreds of hours it will take to see a project through completion.

As far as the story goes, I was only going by what I know about Wing Commander. I have only played them as far as Prophecy, since the games are so hard to come by. I have really only played WC1, WC3, WC4, Privateer, Prophecy, and Secret Ops. The Story I know needs work. But it was a start, thats why I asked for anyones constructive crtitcism so I can rework it to make it better. And yes I know Free Kilrah was very tacky but it was the only name I was able to come up with at the time. All the info in the outline is still pretty sketchy. And for Solaris Station, remote base was probably the wrong phrase to use. Secret outpost probably would have been better. I didnt know there were other projects named legacy, and I never actually tried to spell Nephilim before. Atleast I had it close enough that you all knew who I was talking about. And not to sound mean or anything but all the designers of standoff and unkown enemy and saga all had to start somewhere. And also I have already done game design, I kinda went to college for it, so I know whats involved in the process. I designed a fully functional FPS in college as a graduation project. All I know is that Space Combat will be different than FPS. It took me months of patience to do my game from college. Its story was only a page and a half long. And if I got an A on every graded portion of that game I think I can work on this. All I am asking is help from everyone here. Like I said there are gaps in what I know about WC. Atleast I'm trying. I apologize if it sounds like I'm ranting. I'm just stating the facts. It all still needs work before I begin working on it at the computer. But atleast I can plan ahead for that time when it arrives.

Hey thanks for the help. The future events timeline will really be of help. I would really like to play Privateer 2, but cant even find a copy of it on ebay. I never knew there was the Kilrathi Lexicon, Thats probably going to be the greatest assistence yet since I can only think of names that sound klingon, and not kilrathi. Not quite certain how Id do a Wing Commander FPS, although if it was from the perspective of the Confed Marine Corps.. Now theres an idea. Well one project at a time. And I apologize for my little rant this morning. The more times I read that post again it sounds more like a rant to the slight criticism of the story.

A quick search around this particularly subforum should show up a few good threads giving some good information on both engines.

BTW, interesting plot--definitely needs some twicking of course, but it is a good start.

Oh, and good luck.

matthew954 said:
Not quite certain how Id do a Wing Commander FPS, although if it was from the perspective of the Confed Marine Corps.. Now theres an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
What game is it. Let me rephrase that, I know its Half-Life 2 but what is it. A new mod comming out or is it just something someone threw together for fun? Either way, WOW they really spent time on it. If its playable im glad my brother has HL2.

oh no plz. no WC FPS! sry gys but I would say you really should try to make a flight sim, mathew.
WC and FPS...I think theese are 2 different worlds.

Black-Wulf said:
oh no plz

I just don't get why people do this... all you have to do is press one or two additional buttons, and you'll have a real, good looking post... It's not like you're under time pressure or anything.:confused:

Black-Wulf said:
oh no plz. no WC FPS! sry gys but I would say you really should try to make a flight sim, mathew.
Having a WC FPS isn't that farfetched, all you have to do is make the main character a marine!

thoughts :
try using the Vega Strike engine, it shows much more promise than the Flight Commander engine, from a graphics polish point of view at least.
the term "terran republic" seems a bit racist when considering that the cats form the 2nd largest majority in it. try something like the Federation or just the Republic.
the thing sounds like an alliance between starfleet and the klingons from star trek and that has a nice ring to it.

The Federation is already in star trek. And yeah, I agree with you. He should try the VS engine.

Black-Wulf said:
They are not two different worlds. He has experence in FPS making, and I enjoy WC stories that have Marines in them.

Basicly it is the same world, but different conditions.

Back