Movie Madness? WCM2??

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
I'm sure you all have personal opinions about why or why not the WC movie sucked or was the best show on earth. Let's keep those opinions that way... personal, atleast if you respond to this thread

Hypothetically speaking, what would you do if you had control of the next Wing Commander movie? If you read on, I'm going to explain some of my Ideas and you can then comment on them, or give constructive critiscism in the form of " here's what I would do..."

Here it goes. My personal choice would be to ignore that there was even a first movie. I wouldn't even put Wing Commander in the Title, although it would be evident from the content that it is infact Wing Commander 2. All efforts would be made to maintain a reasonable amount of harmony between it and the Games. I would make every effort to make sure we really care about the charachters (even if it meant spending 50% of the budget on a screen writer) For example it may be neccessary to ommit (not ignore) certain details. Plus the ship design might get a nifty makeover. They should look futuristic, but aged at the same time. Old war references are ok but they should be subtle (not "oh my god! It's a sub in space!). With skillfull direction, the feel should be very atmospheric, almost "film-noire" with humour to lighten it up in places, not campy space comedy. I would pace it more along the lines of a edge of your seat thriller. Start slow but surely a build to an almost unbearable climax where the character conflicts and explosive space battles built to a crechendo of action and intrigue. The battles should have a sense of scope (return of the Jedi) and be filmed intensly, but not flashy and should still retain that sense of cool. Maybe a cross between the stylings of Michael Mann and Ridley Scott. The Kilrathi should regain their fearce yet elegant aire that I alway's thought of them as having.

Style aside, I would open with either hobbes defection or a feirce dogfight where blair follows the phantom fighters away while the Tiger's Claw is Destroyed. We should then get to know our worn out war hero and we should see what kind of effect the war is having on him an others around him. After the failed court marshall we should understand why and how much Tolwyn hates Blair. Of couse this should consist only the first 15 - 30 minutes.by the time Blairs friend dies unexpectedly we should be shocked and deeply saddened (but you knew it was going to happen if you played the game). There wouldn't be room to film every mission so there would needs to be an effort to condense all important facts into half a dozen intense but increasing in scale battles, The final on which would last 30 minutes - 45. (This will be at least a 3 hour movie!!) At least one or two conflicts could be incorporated to include the mandarin sub-plot. Thus elements of SO 1/2 could be included as well. Plus there is always room for some surprises without altering the existing storyline. There would be a number of threads weaving a great tapestry. Internal conflict in the traitor hobbes. Blairs desire for vindication, fighting the feeling that every one is agianst him. Many pilots anger at blait because they think he is a traitor. The fact that there actualy is a traitor on board. The general distrust of Hobbes and the developing relationship between him and Blair. The realizatoin of the importance of the enigma sector and the battles to control it. The political intrigues of the Kitrathi monarchy, Prince Thrakath, The Emperor. Reuniting with some of the old Tiger's Claw Pilots, old friends. Maniac the.. maniac, Paladin the scot, head of secret ops. Angel, flight group commander on the concordia ... and just enough sap to bring in the chics.
By the last ten - fifteen minutes, even if we know the end, we should feel like there's almost no way in hell they'll succeed. Although it shouldn't have the "yeah Right! As If!" effect..

Anyway that's kind of my general overview of the plot, style, and mood of the film. Of course I probably cant explain it as well as I see it in my mind!

-AD.

Originally posted by AD
(...) My personal choice would be to ignore that there was even a first movie.
Good choice. The sooner the viewer forgets the first movie, the more likely is he going to enjoy the second.

All efforts would be made to maintain a reasonable amount of harmony between it and the Games. I would make every effort to make sure we really care about the characters. (...)
Reuniting with some of the old Tiger's Claw Pilots, old friends. Maniac the.. maniac, Paladin the scot, head of secret ops. Angel, flight group commander on the concordia... (...)
Yes! We want to see some old faces again!
Plus the ship design might get a nifty makeover. They should look futuristic, but aged at the same time.
Let's just get the same fighters from the games, for God's sake!!

I would pace it more along the lines of a edge of your seat thriller. Start slow but surely a build to an almost unbearable climax where the character conflicts and explosive space battles built to a crescendo of action and intrigue. The battles should have a sense of scope (Return of the Jedi) and be filmed intensely, but not flashy and should still retain that sense of coolness.
I agree... This effect was attempted in the WC movie, yet for other circumstancial reasons, it did not have the desired scope. The analogy with Star Wars is painful, yet necessary: the Star Wars series have managed to create a mix of dense action with a stunningly diverse background, where there are not only space battles, there's a real link and identification with the characters...
This was done rather clumsily in the WC movie...
The characters' relations between themselves, like Blair vs. Tolwyn and Maniac's TRUE personality, should be stressed more, not merely "shown" and altered to fit into the plot...
The Kilrathi should regain their fierce, yet elegant air that I always thought they had.
We want Cats with FUR!!!!

Style aside, I would open with either Hobbes defection or a fierce dogfight where Blair follows the phantom fighters away while the Tiger's Claw is Destroyed.
We should then get to know our worn out war hero and we should see what kind of effect the war is having on him an others around him. After the failed court-martial we should understand why and how much Tolwyn hates Blair, of course this should consist only the first 15-30 minutes.
Mmmmhh... this already seems too long... I'd make the court-martial and first 10 years on Caernavon station condensed only in 10 minutes...
OH!! Better yet, simply start on Caernavon straight, and show the court-martial and the last Tiger's Claw mission before it gets destroyed, in the form of FLASHBACKS!!
:)

There wouldn't be room to film every mission so there would needs to be an effort to condense all important facts into half a dozen intense but increasing in scale battles, The final on which would last 30 minutes-45. (This will be at least a 3 hour movie!!)
3 hour movie? Ahh, don't think it'll work... but thought can be put into that... maybe make it 2hours30 or 2hours...
And yes of course, you can't show every mission, maybe the best to select would be:
1) Rescue mission to Concordia
2) Strike mission with Broadswords
3) Capsule retrieval from courier
4) Rescue mission of Stingray
5) Treason of Jazz + mission against him
6) Attack on K'titrakh Mang (with battle with Thrakhath)

(...) Elements of SO 1/2 could be included as well.
Nah, too long... stop it at the last WC2 mission.

Plus there is always room for some surprises without altering the existing storyline. There would be a number of threads weaving a great tapestry. Internal conflict in the traitor Jazz. Blair's desire for vindication, fighting the feeling that every one is against him. Many pilots anger at Blair because they think he is a traitor. The fact that there actualy is a traitor on board. The general distrust of Hobbes and the developing relationship between him and Blair. The realization of the importance of the Enigma sector and the battles to control it. The political intrigues of the Kitrathi monarchy, Prince Thrakath, The Emperor and just enough sap to bring in the chicks.
Yeah, all that...
It's important to include the Kilrathis' p.o.w. as well, VERY important... like in Star Wars, cut scenes to the Kilrathi palace and so...
Note however that would make each mission VERY long.

If I may add a final point: perhaps the adaptation of the novel False Colours could constitute amazing material for a movie!!!
Some thought into that too... :)

[Edited by mpanty on 03-21-2001 at 19:01]

My optimal WC movie would not center on Blair. Or be based on a single game. It would be based around End Run with a sequal that is based around Fleet Action. I would include the characters and some of the great diologe (ie Like John Wayne. Who? According to the self-contradictory film records a great war hero). These would be quite a lot of fun to do, especially Fleet Action, even if it does kinda have the "attack earth" similarity to the original movie. we would follow Doomsday and Bear and Round Top and Lone Wolf and the old man Tolwyn himself. It would be a great 2 movies. Perhaps have a fourth that is based around False Colors as well, to kinda finish off the stories of the main characters from the second and third. Well what do y'all think?

Ideal Movie

My Ideal Movie would be the last half of Wc3 and the years between wc3 and 4 and of course wc4 again.
But the story is told by blair himself who is old and tells a young journalist(girl) about his life.
Movie would be 3 hours long. But imagine the twist in the middle of the movie when the kilrathi loose their planet and peace time comes up and blair starts to build up his farm.
This would make up for a good movie not just focusing on space battles! But telling an interesting story!
as for another interesting feature the movie could jump between different people.
For example a family living on a frontier world or a young kilrathi who finally meets blair in battle and dies!

Re: Ideal Movie

Originally posted by Cadfael
(...) the story is told by blair himself who is old and tells a young journalist (girl) about his life. (...)

Hey, I like that idea!!! :):)

Whoa! Long posts alert! :)

Originally posted by Napoleon
My optimal WC movie would not centre on Blair...
What your 'optimal' movie would be. Not everyone has the same ideas, y'know. :)

He didn't say they did. He said it was his optimal movie. I don't see why you have a problem with him saying that.

TC

I think a movie of Wing Commander II would be pretty good. I thought it had the best story out of all of them.

I don't know... it was only *really* good because they thought you were the traitor. That may not translate well into a film.

TC

I dunno that is a good little bit with everybody suspecting you are the traitor when it really is Jazz, sounds like a good soap opera to me!

My view for a new movie is one that focuses around the period between and including WC1 SM2 and WC2. Show the final battle of the Claw, Blairs Court Martial, The saving of the Concordia, a few other battles, and the attack on K'tithrak Mang. In between have the story focus on all the pilots and what is happening to them. Also a movie based on Fleet Action would be very cool. Also, I seem to be in agreement with everyone when I say bring back the Tiger-like Kilrathi! That is the one part of the WC movie I can't stand. To me the rest of the movie is great. But I can't stand the look of the Kilrathi. All of the ideas I have seen would translate into very good movies.

I am going to post this since EA is rumor to be firing 200 people and now this......
UO2 is cancelled.
Origin future?

I only know the firing rumor but Westwood game is better loved by EA that Origin UO2, now is that a stupid move or what?

Origin cancelled UO2 and Harry Potter, fired 85 people -- including Jack Heistand.

EA is laying off lots of other people -- including a whole lot at Westwood (the Renegade and Earth and Beyond teams... both of these games are in trouble).

UO2 was a stupid idea to begin with, because they'd be competing directly with themselves...

TC

It's both stupid and brilliant: People will go for the new product, without them having to knock everyone off the old one. And a lot of people will pay for both, wanting to try the new game and not wanting to ditch their old character and friends. Once enough people cancel on the first one, they shut it down and focus on the other.

Back