$$movie bucks$$$?

Well, the plans for doing a CGI WC were dropped a while ago...

... the people I've talked to recently interested in doing another WC want to do it with WC3-level FMV. But it's all wishfull thinking at this point.

WC3 'level'? That's going a bit too far back, isn't it? That was when video compression technology was in its infancy, was it not, and the quality isn't too appealing by today's standards, is it?

I dont care how much went into the budget, or how much space they took on the disks, there has never been to much FMV in any of the games, not even in WC4 (though it is cutting it close) Just think about the end of Prophecy, where it was flying one mission after another with no character interactions in sight. Not until the final mission do we see anything again. That was quite a drought. And it just wouldnt be WC without the live action instead of FMV. You just cant put the action into a character like Tom Wilson's Maniac, or Zero and Maestro with CGI. At least not without a budget bigger than the WCM. I hope when the next game comes out we do see Zero and Maestro, Stiletto and Spyder, Finley and Decker, and all the rest again.

But they *did* once put the same character into Maniac (for example) with animation -- it was remarkable that Tom Wilson evoked the same feelings as Maniac in WC1 and 2 did, not vice versa.

Heck, is Tom Wilson's Maniac in WCA any lesser than Tom Wilson's Maniac in WC4? That's what a CGI WC game would be like...

Hmmm, I don't know. Although I thought Mark Hamill was quite good as Blair, Tom Wilson just fit Maniac PERFECTLY. After all, he acted just like Biff!

Also, I feel Malcolm McDowell's performance in WC4 evoked a lot more emotion. Maybe thats just because he was the 'villain'.

Unless they fully animated the next game, it still wouldnt be the same. I dont think CGI, at least on their budget is up to snuff.

Yea, I Think they do too. But It looks really good. I heard that they're making an FFX. Anybody know about that?

They have plans for 10 and 11 already! I know, they are planning really far ahead but i think its great. Sooner or later i'll have to get me a Playstation 2

The last one for Playstation. Why would they end an extrememly successful franchise that was still producing good stories and i just realised the irony of saying that on this cz.

Originally posted by redwolf
(...) Also, I feel Malcolm McDowell's performance in WC4 evoked a lot more emotion. Maybe that's just because he was the 'villain'.
Malcolm McDowell showed us a brilliant performance in WC IV... :) He's really an awesome actor!

Malcolm McDowell rules! He even looks perfect for most of his roles. Did you see "Clockwork Orange"? There he acts also heavenly. The only film with him where I thought he was not fitting was a medieval film where he played King Arthur.
Even in Lexx, crappy though it were, he was good.

Originally posted by Supdon3
Why would they end an extrememly successful franchise that was still producing good stories... I just realised the irony of saying that on this CZ.
Can anyone @ EA still say "Wing Commander"? :)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Malcolm McDowell rules! He even looks perfect for most of his roles. Did you see "Clockwork Orange"? There he acts also heavenly. The only film with him where I thought he was not fitting was a medieval film where he played King Arthur.
Even in Lexx, crappy though it were, he was good.

You're right, Malc as King Arthur just wouldn't work. Now, as the bad guy of the story though.... (can't remember the name off the top of my head, but he was Aurthur's bastard son by Morgana.) Malc might be a little old for that role, but with a little hair dye he could pass muster.

Best, Raptor

[Edited by Raptor on 03-24-2001 at 09:30]

Originally posted by Raptor
[
You're right, Malc as King Arthur just wouldn't work. Now, as the bad guy of the story though.... (can't remember the name off the top of my head, but he was Aurthur's bastard son by Morgana.) Malc might be a little old for that role, but with a little hair dye he could pass muster.

Best, Raptor

[Edited by Raptor on 03-24-2001 at 09:30]

I think you mean Mordred. But in Lexx Malc was not really the bad guy and still I enjoyed him. But you are right, principally the roles where he is the bad guy are his best.

Back