$$movie bucks$$$?

Yeah, the SST novel is very old -- a fairly easy read.

The first campaign of the TV show (Pluto?) is now available on DVD...

The Starship Troopers Novel has nothing in Common with the movie, the movie ruined it *caugh* POWERED ARMOR *caugh*. The book is a great one that is a very enjoyable and easy read.

Yeah, the guy that I learned it from, complained about the fact the soldiers were not portrayed with their power armors... :(

Yet, it is kind of obvious why they didn't use it in the movie, filming would have been too complicated, the armor would have been too heavy, and we wouldn't have seen the actors' faces... ;)

I think the FMV was, and still is, one of the coolest things about WC. If there's actual real people there, it gives me a stronger connection to the charecters. While CGI people wouldn't be terrible, i'd like to see them stick with FMV's. It just adds that "WOW, i'm watching a movie AND playing a game" element to it.

I think if they were going to go CGI, they should go all out and mix adventure and space sim elements. Almost like a WC RPG. You can walk around, talk to people, fight, whatnot, then fly missions too. That'd probably end up being a giant game though. And, I don't think alot of fans would like that for some reason.

Top show, that. But that's just me, while people love anime, I love CGI...

Anyway, I don't think I would mind WC cutscenes being done in CGI in the same quality as RSTC, but one has to remember that RSTC is very expensive to make, they haven't even done the final three episodes! :( But as technology improves, I could certainly accept CGI cutscenes for WC, provided good voice actors are involved!

Loaf: I don't own any WC game before WC4...so I only know them with real actors....I really don't have many chances to get them here in Germany and my PC would kill me if I wanted to install them...it even 'hardly' likes Wc4...but the earlier ones..after one mission I'd propably have to formate my system...and that's sth. i really don't like! So I stay at the newer games...and at the beginning is clear that it was without videos...it was unknown, Origin just began with it and the technic wasn't so far to include videos in games (we speak from the year 1989 if I am right)...so it is clear there were no videos...but today it's more or less unimaginable for me without it...I would really miss it! That's what I wanted to say.

Originally posted by Manjana
Loaf: I don't own any WC game before WC4...

If I may be so bold as to comment...

I pity you Manjana, you never could enjoy the thrill of the original WC. You started off at, arguably, the best game of the series. Myself however, begun at chapter one. The Vega Campaign.

It was the best thing I had ever seen on a computer. It was wonderful. It was brilliant. It was, the best game I ever had played (and ever would until WC4, perhaps 3).

I believe if you didn't start at the start, you just don't get the full, rich, experience that was delivered by WC1. It didn't have actors, but the characters and plot were still there, albeit in an abridged form compared to WC4.

:) Ahhh nostalgia. I want to go back to the days when WC1 reigned supreme and each day I'd come home from school to speak to Shotglass...

[Edited by redwolf on 03-22-2001 at 10:14]

I also sometimes regret to have missed the old time, but in fact my Pc wouldn't accept these games. Win98 would say What's that? Dos from 1989 (where I really didn't own a PC...)? Go away with that...' and I'd get a blue screen with a total number of errors....and that would be the end of WC1 at my PC. So it's better for my PC and my nerves if I let it. Even if I miss this super game (I really believe it is)...but I read the books about it and even they were fantastic..that has to be enough.(if I saw them in the original package I would also buy them for the manuals etc...but I would never be so brave to run them at my PC.

Originally posted by Napoleon
The Starship Troopers Novel has nothing in Common with the movie, the movie ruined it *caugh* POWERED ARMOR *caugh*. The book is a great one that is a very enjoyable and easy read.

If SST was done as another movie, w/ no relation to the book, it would have been a much better movie.

redwolf you are so right about it. WC1 is till my favourite PC game ever. It had everything: Stunning graphics, gripping storyline and was great fun to play.
Manjana, I really urge you to search for the older games on ebay. They are worth it, even worth formatting your system :)

Personally, I would not mind if they would use PC generated characters like in Starlancer. They looked good and I thinnk you can follow the great steps that PC graphics make better than with movies. Of course, it would be hard to make Casey now a CGI after he was introduced as real actor...

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
WC1 is till my favourite PC game ever. It had everything: Stunning graphics, gripping storyline and was great fun to play.
"Stunning graphics" for that time (personally, I enjoyed the story in WC2 more). I loaded up KS a couple of months ago with the intent of playing the WC games from the beginning (from 1 to WCP) but I couldn't do it. WC1 & 2 are just too primitive by today's standards so I ended up skipping to WC3. Playing WC1/2 was like trying to play Wolfenstein (the original) after getting used to Quake, Halflife, et al. One of the great things about the WC games is that they were all ground breaking in one way or another (with the exception of WCP) at the time they were first released.

Manjana, I would recommend that you find WC3 at least - that was, and still is a great game. As for the others, that's your call but I recommend getting Kilrathi Saga, it has WC1/2/3 and all designed to work with Win95.

Of course "for that time". But nevertheless I think WC1 is still the best. Alone getting promoted and medals was sooo cool and the music! <dribble> Wc2 also was very very good.

Originally posted by Marcml30
(...) Playing WC1/2 was like trying to play Wolfenstein (the original) after getting used to Quake, Halflife (...)
Heeey! I still love to play Wolfenstein 3D, even now... :)
Ehm, probably because my PC is not good enough so that I can play Conuterstrike or Quake 3 Arena... :(

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Of course, it would be hard to make Casey now a CGI after he was introduced as real actor...
They could beef him up slightly, Casey was just a bit too much of a runt in WCP. Like me! :)

Despite the obvious "THIS ISN'T THE BOOK!" factor, I really enjoyed SST -- it was a whole lot of fun to see on the big screen.

As for Casey -- no matter what happened, Steven Petraca would not have been back.

Yeh Loaf, fill us in ... why wasn't Steve coming back to do the "next" WC game ?? (all hypothetical now anyway I suppose).

My understanding is that they asked him to do Secret Ops voices for less money, and he refused -- leading to some sort of falling out between him and Origin. Since then, the director for Prophecy has had nothing good to say about the man (including the fact that, if he were to do another WC FMV game, it would not have Petraca...) <G>

Great, now we'll have to go with CGI now, won't we? :) But that's surprising, I didn't think Petraca was that sort of a person. Well, I guess I am judging him as Casey, and appearances are deceiving, that's for sure.

Back