Movie best parts!

Originally posted by RFBurns
But I think the reasons why I have yet to view that movie is because of the FMV's in WC3-5. Then going thru WC1-2 and Armada just seemed to me that it was enough. Should I run out and grab the DVD?
Why would the FMVs in WC3-5 stop you from seeing the movie? Anyway, rent it first. Trust me there is no wait at the video store and you definitely want to try this one before you buy it. Let us know what you think.

I was rather dissapointed. I did not feel it emphasized the Kilrathis enough. For example, the opening sequence of WC3 contains the gothic look at Kilrah and then we're brought in to a Star Trek 6 Klingon-like arena where humans are put on trial. The voices and acting by the Kilrathi were just superb (when the main Kilrathi dude backs away in surprise to one of Angel's remarks...I mean, Chris Roberts captured both the nervousness and ferocity of cats in that one scene!)

Also, I thought the movie was too much like WC5: too much teenage BS. That was probably caused by the younger actors. I really enjoyed the acting in WC3 and WC4. Mark Hammil, the dude from Herman's Head, McDowell, Tom Wilson...they all performed great for a movie, not just a game. (heh, it's been a while since I played them, forgot the name)

I kind of wish they just took all the movies from WC3 and put that on the big screen, with a series of small clips to explain the gameplay action...better acting, better story, and better everything!

As a fan, I would buy it, even if you do not like it. It is not that expensive and it is worth having around, even if it's only for ranting about it. :)

Ok I will find the DVD! But I think one member here had a good idea, put the whole WCIII thru WCP combined onto the big screen!! Put in a few clips or something for the "inbetween game play scenes" and there might be something!! Perhaps the movie should have focused on another time period than it did, maybe something near the time of WCP or after. I think making a movie for the big screen after putting out all the games with movies and the big screen movie focuses on the first WC, kinda backstepping I think. But I will get this DVD and watch it. I should have that anyway, shame on me!! :eek:

RFBurns

I would have to say that without question the best aspect of the WC movie was the music. In particular, the WING COMMANDER OVERTURE during the intro was...well, just great. The CD soundtrack, while only 37 minutes, is well worth it.

Overall, I rather enjoy the movie. I saw the movie opening day, and I bought the DVD immediately way back when it was released in spring of 1999. It was one of my first DVDs, and I can honestly say it's been one of the most-watched of my 200+ collection (probably at least 10 times, not counting checking out particular scenes).

In terms of scenes, my faves are the introduction, the attack on Pegasus (too short, IMO), the missile broadside, and the heart-to-hearts between Blair/Angel and Blair/Paladin. I also enjoy the "little things" that LOAF mentioned earlier int he thread.

I understand and accept the "WWII sub" atmosphere and mood, so I have no problem with some of the quesitonable scenes others have mentioned. And like the games, some effects are purely for visual appeal (the dipping of the fighters off the deck, for example), so they don't particularly bother me.

I found some of the dialog hokey, and wish that some of the cut scenes had been kept in for clarity. And I do wish the movie had more closely followed certain aspects of the games. But overall, I'm not distracted by the so-called problems -- I really like the movie overall.

WCIII and WCIV definately would not work on the big screen -- the sets look very cheap in TV resolution...

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
The scene were the Tiger Claw hides in the asteroids was a ridiculous copy of a scene from "Das Boot" where they hide from an destroyer searching the submarine.

Apart from being in just about every sub movie, and Empire Strikes Back, the Concordia did the same thing in WC2.

I personally felt a number of the things done in the movie were quite good. It made a nice change to have battered, cramped vessels. To me that is far more 'realistic' then the bright, spacious 'cruise-liner' type ships you see in Star Trek or the like.

Originally posted by AzraeL
To me that is far more 'realistic' then the bright, spacious 'cruise-liner' type ships you see in Star Trek or the like.
Not only ST, but also the games... Even small, outdated ships like the Ranger or Durango class are spacious inside.

Originally posted by Farfel
(...) Also, I thought the movie was too much like WC5: too much teenage BS. That was probably caused by the younger actors. I really enjoyed the acting in WC3 and WC4. Mark Hammil, the dude from Herman's Head, McDowell, Tom Wilson...they all performed great for a movie, not just a game. (heh, it's been a while since I played them, forgot the name)

I kind of wish they just took all the movies from WC3 and put that on the big screen, with a series of small clips to explain the gameplay action...better acting, better story, and better everything!

Despite what LOAF said, I agree with Farfel...

They should have re-made Wing Commander III as a full length movie, using the same actors from the game...
The storyline had definitely the capacity to fit into a movie script...

It would have been even better with Wing Commander IV, where the script was simply amazing, with all this undercover and sneaky operations on Confed's side... all the elements for a good movie were present! :)

Of course, it's kind of hard to make deceased people perform... (rest in peace, Jason... :()

Aye, far the well....:(

And btw, in an interview w/ chris roberts in a scifi magazine, he said, he wanted the WC movie to have the look and the feel of das boot. So thats why there is a bunch of das boot references.

I don't even know what Das Boot means. At the moment it sounds very silly.

And having WC3 or WC4 as a full length movie might seem nice, but it's not very original. It'd very much be a case of "Been there, done that" by the fans, even if it might appeal better to a non-WC audience.

Das Boot is a german ww2 submarine movie. It's actually very good. you should watch it. If my German is correct, Das Boot means "The Boat" Or something like that. Perhaps Manjana or mekt could clear that one up.

Back