Most fun and most difficult mission

Hm, i think the most difficult Mission was in WC2 the Mission where you have to bring the data capsule back. With a Broadswoard.
You jump in and a swarm of Sarthas attacked you. Additional a Ralatha bumps you... :D

Oh, yeah, that mission bothered me a bit when I first started playing WC (WC2 was my first WC game). The Sartha would scrap me pretty quick with their neutron guns, and the Ralatha was actually smart enough to shoot you with their AMGs. Of course, a few FFs and skill with the turrets quickly put the Sartha out of business, and then the Ralatha could kiss its butt goodbye. Oh, don't forget to grab the capsule after the battle, I've done that once before. <D'oh!>

well, i did it in an other way.
First i was flying away from the Ralatha so that this super canon can't hit me. Than i kicked the asses of the Sarthas with my turrets, and last but not least i flew away from the Ralatha, so that it was away from the Data Capsule. Then i flew around and picked up the capsule. With a 'click' on my J Button i was jumped away :D

I think I usually get away with blasting the idiots with my rear turret, things will ususally hang around for about a second before they realise they're being fired at, and then it's too late. :) But I can't believe you didn't bother killing the Ralatha.

hm, can't do that.
Had ca 20% shields and starting Torpedo Attack. Than this Super Cannon shots at me an boom :D
blown away.

That so 5 times.... and than i don't think it was funny :D

Fly away and stay out of range until your shields recharge. I know this may be hard since this particular Ralatha is actually under power, but if you're patient the kill is satisfying. On your torp run, you can stay out of range to lock, if you want, but if the AMGs fire, juke out of the way, but not so much so that you lose lock (I know this can be a bit tricky). But even if you get hit, you shouldn't lose more than your shields and a tiny bit of armour, IIRC. By the time the AMGs recharge, you should have dumped your torp and be flying away for your next run. Pity there weren't any ABs on the Broadsword...

yeb, one torp hits always...
but as i fought the Sarthas with my turrets my rear armor was blew away...
so, i fired the torp and flew away for the next run, but then a amg hits me from behind and boom :D

Don't fly straight, juke when your flying away for the next pass! <Slaps forehead in frustration> :)

I tend to ignore (well, not totally ignore) the Sarthas and just zigzag away from the Ralatha until it is out of range. IIRC, your rear turrets will still fire, although not as fast or accurately as if you were doing it yourself, so they might kill one or two of the Sartha. Once I'm out of range of the Ralatha (i.e. its flak cannon aren't chewing away at my armor and I'm not going to get hit by a stray amg shot) I'll turn and kill the Sartha. I personally prefer to use the front guns - those three mass drivers do a LOT of damage. Using the turrets means that you have to fly straight, so you'll lose a lot of shields and armor if you're up against multiple enemy.

Once the Sartha are dead, just do what Wedge009 suggested - wait for your shields to recharge, lock torps outside range and head in. To dodge the AMG, don't head straight towards the Ralatha. There is a range over which the torp will still maintain lock. Head in at one extreme, then once the AMG fires immediately change to the other extreme. You should be able to dodge easily if the AMG fires at long range. ALWAYS dodge the AMG, even if you have to lose lock to do it. It's better to abort and just have to wait for your torp to lock again, then to take the hit and have to wait the X minutes for your shields to recharge. IIRC the Kats will every so often fire a very wayward shot, so use that for an easy run.

To dodge the AMG on the way out, either just change course every few seconds and trust to luck, or change to your rear view, then switch forward and change course as soon as the AMG fires. You can even plug away at the Ralatha with your turret guns - doesn't do any good, but it might make you feel better :D.

Just remember - always keep your shields high and dodge the AMG at all costs. Piece of cake.

Indeed, the mass drivers hurt big time, but I prefer to use them on slower targets. Sartha fly circles around a lumbering Broadsword, and stick to your butt like glue, so they'll peck at your rear armour whether you're in the turret or not. Often they stay at your rear so long that a burst from the turrets will knock off a few. Hey, I even killed Jazz that way a couple of times. :)

Personally, I always thought that the mission in WC1 where you had to go defend the Ralari that we had captured was the hardest I've ever flown. (i've actually yet to be that one!)

The funnest mission I've ever flown was the last one in WC4 when you're heading for Earth to expose Tolwyn. I never did like that guy in the games, except when he gave us the Behemoth in WC3. (Even if it did get nailed later on.) =(

Yeah. That Ralari was definitely the one I've failed the most consistently. Although to tell the truth once I worked out that I could save it, I used to semi-deliberately fail 'cos I liked the Raptor missions that the mission loss opened up for you.

I only managed to finish that Ralari mission in the normal WC... and after a consistent number of tries...
When I played it again through Kilrathi Saga, no could do... :(

The Ralari mission is certainly hard... though I believe there was one harder mission ... cant remember which though - was playing WC1 recently though.

However, the hardest mission (when on Nightmare) has to be (imo) after you see Angels death in WC3, if you chose 'Ah to hell with it, have another drink' :D

Yeah... though LOAF, have you noticed that the guide tries to follow some sort of "official" pathway of missions?
And that implies that not all the missions are victorious...

At least for the WC part, after that the author announces he changed the presentation format for the WC2 guide, IIRC... :)

Originally posted by AzraeL
...I used to semi-deliberately fail 'cos I liked the Raptor missions that the mission loss opened up for you.
Indeed, gotta go to Rostov for the extra missions. :)

[Pity about the asteroids, and the marines who get executed on the ground.]

[Edited by Wedge009 on 08-07-2001 at 21:47]

Back