More Map Progress

Sorry, that was a typo -- the name listed on the map is now "Speradon / Speardon" (I found a not-so-clever way around all the changed spellings... and am applying it to the mis-labeled WC4 systems, the apostrophe-less WCP systems, and the systems for which we know both the Terran and Kilrathi names. (As well as various capitalization issue Kilrathi systems -- K'Tithrak Mang versus K'tithrak Mang and so on...).

Don't see any writing in M'shrak -- I may have removed it in some standard sweep.

Red is still there in Vukar Tag -- added it to my corrections list.

The green 'border' worlds may be part of the UBW -- we're never told how many systems they've got.

Connecting the Armada Sectors and the Confed ones is something I'll work on later -- after I've got all the stuff we absolutely know for certain added.

(The gauntlet systems will certainly be added coming out from Goddard -- but since the Armada 'campaigns' seem to tell a different story from the gauntlet, I'm not sure if they'll connect up or not.)

It's Bistango in the WC3 script, not Bistango. That one should be burned into your brains, given Barbara Niven's "brilliant" delivery of the line... "Bistango *EX*". )The X in the script being for ten, the tenth planet in the Bistango System...).

Hi, Q! I spotted the Chengdu thing first. :)

NR, Speradon means Speradon. ;)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Don't see any writing in M'shrak -- I may have removed it in some standard sweep.
It's okay, it's not there anymore.

The green 'border' worlds may be part of the UBW -- we're never told how many systems they've got.
I just thought the UBW wouldn't bother with trying to claim systems which are so out of the way they need to go through Confed to get to them. Unless it's just an 'on paper' affiliation.

It's Bistango in the WC3 script, not Bistango. That one should be burned into your brains, given Barbara Niven's "brilliant" delivery of the line... "Bistango *EX*"
Oh, I don't know. I never saw the videos of the newsbriefs - can't afford to download everything.

Okay, this is the official first release of the map -- Version 1.0.

All 12 WCU Map sectors and all 11 Armada sectors are now completed... and available in high-res Targa format! (None of that nasty color mixing that jpegs do...).

http://www.blacklance.org/loaf/bigmap

And here's what's different...

- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: Axis System renamed Axius/Axis System.
- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: Speardon System renamed Speradon/Speardon System.
- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: Callimachius System renamed Callimachus/Callimachius System.
- {Epsilon Sector} Deneb Q.: Torgo System renamed Torgo/Ko'bar Yagar System.
- {Epsilon Sector} Antares Q.: Bistangio System renamed Bistangio/Bistango System.
- {Epsilon Sector} Antares Q.: Natanya System renamed Natanya/N'Tanya System.
- {Gemini Sector} Fariss Q./Clarke Q.: Eden-Rikel jump added.
- {Kilrah Sector} Kur'u Caxki Q.: Hhrass System renamed Hhrass/H'hrass System.
- {Kilrah Sector} Kur'u Caxki Q.: Unnamed System renamed K'Cris System.
- {Kilrah Sector} Kur'u-Pak Q.: Gmar System renamed Gmar/G'mar System.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: Kurasawa System renamed Kurasawa/Warach Tha System.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: Venice System renamed Venice/Kharak Tar System.
- {Vega Sector} Day Q.: McAuliffe System renamed McAuliffe/Vikyah System.
- {Vega Sector} Douglas Q.: Vega System renamed Vega/Krat'na System.

The next release (v1.1) will be the first to add new systems. Make your suggestions now!

WOW Excellent Work !

About the bigmap:
Why Eden isn´t in Gemini quadrant ?
Why some systems and many sectors aren´t labeled in the map, if they are in the big old color map, that you maked some time ago?

Ghost: Try "made". ;) And Eden is in the Gemini Sector.

All systems are equal in their eyes <G>
Hmm, yeah. I forgot about that. :) I suppose the UBW would have had to negotiate with Confed for that territory, since only the Lexington was present in those sectors before the war ended? Not every world on the Terran-Kilrathi front is considered a Border World.

All 12 WCU Map sectors and all 11 Armada sectors are now completed... and available in high-res Targa format! (None of that nasty color mixing that jpegs do...).
Do PNGs do the icky JPEG thing too? I think they're smaller too.

Where did you pull this from?

The next release (v1.1) will be the first to add new systems. Make your suggestions now!
All the in-game systems I mentioned before. :)

Oh, great job, BTW. "Stellar Cartographer." Hey, that'd sound good on a resumé. :)

(How many smilies are we allowed now?)

Thanks for the correction. ;)
I asked that thing about Gemini because i dw a map of the WCU (black and white), and doesn´t have the Eden system in Gemini Sector, and thought that LOAF made :))) that map.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Hmm, yeah. I forgot about that. :) I suppose the UBW would have had to negotiate with Confed for that territory, since only the Lexington was present in those sectors before the war ended? Not every world on the Terran-Kilrathi front is considered a Border World.

IIRC, the 'gauntlet' is the story of the Lexington and the Shiraak... the 11 campaign sectors are just standard Confed campaigns that have normal carriers (particularly since you can lose the "Lexington" multiple times and still win the campaign <G>).

Do PNGs do the icky JPEG thing too? I think they're smaller too.

I'm not entirely sure what a PNG is, or how to make one.

Where did you pull this from?

K'Cris, remarkably, shows up in the Confed Handbook -- a map of the Vega/Kilrah sectors.

IIRC, the 'gauntlet' is the story of the Lexington and the Shiraak... the 11 campaign sectors are just standard Confed campaigns that have normal carriers (particularly since you can lose the "Lexington" multiple times and still win the campaign <G>).
That's interesting, never thought about it that way. Especially since I don't allow the Confed carrier to die, but then again, there can't be multiple Shiraaks, can there? Still, it was initally supposed to be a covert op, wasn't it?

Portable Network Graphics. Easy enough on the basic Photo Editor from MS Office. IIRC, up to 24-bit colour, no icky JPEG blurring, and, depending on your picture, can be smaller than even JPEGs. They can be viewed in browsers too, my 1st-year comp unit web page used them.

To further Wedge's explaining, PNG is a new graphics format that is supposed to get rid of the inherent jpeg copyrights. Technically, eveytime we use a jpeg image on our sites, we are supposed to pay the group that created it some money, if the group wanted us to. We don't own the graphics, even if we made them ourselves. PNG is supposed to be a public format that can't be copyrighted.

I've added stuff from Wing Commander 2 and Pilgrim Stars... Vega never looked so confusing!

http://www.blacklance.org/loaf/bigmap

png versions are also now available (around 100k average) in the PNG subdirectory.

Changes:
- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: Axis System renamed Axius/Axis System.
- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: Speardon System renamed Speradon/Speardon System.
- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: Callimachius System renamed Callimachus/Callimachius System.
- {Epsilon Sector} Deneb Q.: Torgo System renamed Torgo/Ko'bar Yagar System.
- {Epsilon Sector} Antares Q.: Bistangio System renamed Bistangio/Bistango System.
- {Epsilon Sector} Antares Q.: Natanya System renamed Natanya/N'Tanya System.
- {Gemini Sector} Fariss Q./Clarke Q.: Eden-Rikel jump added.
- {Kilrah Sector} Kur'u Caxki Q.: Hhrass System renamed Hhrass/H'hrass System.
- {Kilrah Sector} Kur'u-Pak Q.: Gmar System renamed Gmar/G'mar System.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: Kurasawa System renamed Kurasawa/Warach Tha System.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: Venice System renamed Venice/Kharak Tar System.
- {Vega Sector} Roberts Q./Downing Q.: Tartarus-Ymir jump added.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: K'n'Rek-Ymir jump added.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: K'n'Rek-Nephele jump added.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q./Day Q.: Ymir-Lafayette jump added.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: Hell's Kitchen-McAuliffe jump added.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: Hell's Kitchen-Enyo jump added.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: Hell's Kitchen-Dieno jump added.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: Hell's Kitchen-Blackmane jump added.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: Blytheheart System added.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: Midpoint System added.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: Midpoint-Blythehart jump added.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: Midpoint-Lafayette jump added.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: Midpoint-Tamayo jump added.
- {Vega Sector} Downing Q.: Blytheheart-McDaniel's World jump added.
- {Vega Sector} Day Q.: McAuliffe System renamed McAuliffe/Vikyah System.
- {Vega Sector} Douglas Q.: Vega System renamed Vega/Krat'na System.
- {Vega Sector} Roberts Q.: Aloysius System added.
- {Vega Sector} Roberts Q.: Aloysius-Freya jump added.
- {Enigma Sector} Asimov Q.: Midian System added.
- {Enigma Sector} Asimov Q.: Piper-Midian jump added.
- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: Talbot System added.
- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: Novaya Kiev-Talbot jump added.
- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: Argarrio System added.
- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: Argarrio-Niven jump added.
- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: Fiddler's Green System added.
- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: Asimov Q.: Piper-Fiddler's Green jump added.
- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: Niffleheim System added.
- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: Fiddler's Green-Niffleheim jump added.
- {Enigma Sector} Grills Q.: {Epsilon Sector} Deneb Q.: Ghorah Khar-Sharm jump added.
- {Epsilon Sector} Deneb Q.: Sharm System added.

I wrote this yesterday, before I knew you'd already updated the maps again. Are Vega, Enigma and Epsilon the only changes today?

Epsilon Sector - Tr'L Rass Quadrant
Minor cosmetic detail - the Bifrost and the system one jump 'down' from it have jump lines overlayed instead of underlayed. Dunno why I didn't notice it before.

Epsilon Sector - Tr'L Rass Quadrant
Same as above for Peleus and Chanel. Much harder to spot on the Border Worlds.

M'shrak Sector - Tr'k H'hra Quadrant
Same problem for an unknown system.

M'shrak Sector - Kur'u Som'Mers Quadrant (I wonder how many places Mr Sommers can stick his name in.)
Same problem again for an unknown system.

M'shrak Sector - Dath'que Quadrant
Same problem yet again for an unknown system.

To save you the trouble, I've already fixed them - the maps should be in your e-mail.

Sol Sector - Terra Quadrant
Sol system seems to have lost its Kilrathi name. Wherever that came from, I don't remember seeing it before, so it must be from a novel. Nak'tara... sounds like nectar.

BTW, any idea where the B'Shriss system might be? Near Sum'n Shriss (Trk'Pahn Sector - S'kh'haral Quadrant), perhaps?

I still say it makes sense for Cardell to be renamed Gardel, or at least have another system named Gardel adjacent to Morpheus on the basis of a quote from Tolwyn, directly from the WC3 script: "Now that we have the Kilrathi on the run in both the Gardel and Morpheus systems, I can afford to shift you to the Victory in Orsini."

For the other in-game systems I mentioned before [that you don't appear to have implemented yet], here's what I remember:
Tau Ceti (from SM2) - Epsilon Sector (Antares Quadrant)
Chengdu (from WC1 and Claw Marks) - Vega Sector (Roberts Quadrant)
Jakarta and Anchorage (Where else would they go? Systems don't just disappear. Claw Marks.) - Vega Sector (Roberts Quadrant?)
Rarkath ([I'm sure it's mentioned in] SO1) - Enigma Sector (Isaac Quadrant near/adjacent to Ghorah Khar)
Astoria (from WC4?) - Epsilon Sector (Sa'Khan Quadrant near Masa?)
Tal'q (from WCP) - Kilrah Sector (Kur'u Caxki Quadrant?) There are only two unnamed systems left adjacent to Kilrah, and Tal'q sounds Kilrathi enough to me.

One more thing - which sector is the Kabla Meth Starbase in, M'shrak Sector or Kabla Meth System in Epsilon Sector?

You consider Nifelheim to be a different system from Niffleheim? Wow.

I still say it makes sense for Cardell to be renamed Gardel, or at least have another system named Gardel adjacent to Morpheus on the basis of a quote from Tolwyn, directly from the WC3 script: "Now that we have the Kilrathi on the run in both the Gardel and Morpheus systems, I can afford to shift you to the Victory in Orsini."

I said the same yesterday in #wingnut ! ;)

I said it originally, from the very start. ;) It'll probably end up as being another system altogether, if LOAF considers Nifelheim and Niffleheim to be different. Then again, there are two Midgard systems.

To save you the trouble, I've already fixed them - the maps should be in your e-mail.

Thanks -- the map gets created by first placing a system, then drawing the jump lines, and then going back and pasting the systems back over to make it all appear fluid.

Sol system seems to have lost its Kilrathi name. Wherever that came from, I don't remember seeing it before, so it must be from a novel. Nak'tara... sounds like nectar.

Realized that Nak'tara only referred to Earth itself, not the name of the system.

BTW, any idea where the B'Shriss system might be? Near Sum'n Shriss (Trk'Pahn Sector - S'kh'haral Quadrant), perhaps?

Enigma Sector, near Gwynedd.

Ehh, it's just not enough for me -- the system is clearly "Cardell" on both the original black and white sketch of the Prophecy map and the new version... and there's no reason to think that Gardel should be there. (My argument earlier was that it *shouldn't* be there -- since Tolwyn is trying to explain why Blair should be at Orsini instead of at the front lines...).

I'm thinking of taking all the location-less Confed systems and sticking them in the Facin Sector, to fill it out. Places like Yorin, New Samarkand and so on.

Tau Ceti (from SM2) - Epsilon Sector (Antares Quadrant)

One jump from Firekka?

Chengdu (from WC1 and Claw Marks) - Vega Sector (Roberts Quadrant)

Note to self, go through WC1 script and find new jump lines (Chengdu-Hell's Kitchen!).

Jakarta and Anchorage (Where else would they go? Systems don't just disappear. Claw Marks.) - Vega Sector (Roberts Quadrant?)

Eeek... and they're in-game systems from SM1.5. (Hey, wait, they aren't in Claw Marks...)

Rarkath ([I'm sure it's mentioned in] SO1) - Enigma Sector (Isaac Quadrant near/adjacent to Ghorah Khar)

Can't find this anywhere in the SO1 script.

Tal'q (from WCP) - Kilrah Sector (Kur'u Caxki Quadrant?) There are only two unnamed systems left adjacent to Kilrah, and Tal'q sounds Kilrathi enough to me.

I believe End Run is good enoguh to name the near-Kilrah systems... we'll see if there's one left over after that <G>

One more thing - which sector is the Kabla Meth Starbase in, M'shrak Sector or Kabla Meth System in Epsilon Sector?

Kabla Meth System -- the location given in WC2 is "Deneb Sector". You're thinking of Kilrathi Battle Command, which is in the Hhallas System (Kabla Meth is the *third* K'Tithrak Mang style starbase we see...).

You consider Nifelheim to be a different system from Niffleheim? Wow.

Yeah -- since Angel specifies that it's in the Enigma Sector, and Nifleheim clearly isn't. I'd have wondered if one was a mis-spelling... but I checked, and they're both legitimate ways to spell the same mythological location (Confed also has a Mustaphleheim... from the WC3 novel).

And am I the only one interested in the gargantuan task LOAF is undertaking?

Mmmm, not necessarily... it truly fascinates me. However my limited knowledge is essentially useless because I came in well after WC1 and only own 2, Armada, 3, 4, 5, SO, Priv 1& RF... Truly I'd love to see like some sort of 3D interface listing everything and having info on each and navigable and all... would be something I'd buy in a heartbeat, but though I own WC2 and Armada, I've never played them (mostly because it was hell to get DOS up and running again). I'm not terribly useful when it comes to assisting, but hey loaf, that's some amazing work you're doing there buddy. I'm really fascinated by your expansive knowledge, and yours as well Wedge... keep it up fellas!

More posts likely to follow, I'm busy reading the rest of the thread...

Can the Gardel/Cardell problem be because, they sound almost identical (specially with the british accent of Malcolm Mcdowell) ?
So maybe is truly Cardell and the subtitle guy wrote *Gardel*
I don´t know if Cardell means something, but Gardel is the last name of Carlos Gardel, the most popular *Tango* singer who dies in a plane crash over Colombia in 1930.

Back