Missions Questions

Topic Brief:
Then I compile the wav file into IFF with the audio tool?, I'll test that in my home. :) Thanks.

Topic Work:
Don't worry by time, I'm married and two childrens, I like do it in the nights, I love WC and my son too, he have ideas to projects and missions with nine years old!. He say: "why you don't work on standoff or UE2"? :) .. and "you could appear in the credits game!" :)
I say: "I'm learning"... "but you are programmer!, you know!"...
If at standoff members don't worry my years old not problem, we could to test. Now, I never requested to be a member because I read other threads where they discuss with somebody that sad to know build missions (don't remember your name now)... and the standoff member (neither remember your name) told that standoff members were completed and that the time problem is not the compiler missions, you know.
Are you an active member? or you are standoff support?

Quarto's in the Standoff team, he's the boss of all things related to missions... I agree with him that if you're ready to code missions, you could help us. We have a lot of mission descriptions written down in detail already, but nobody to program them :(

OK. First explain me how is the work process. :), maybe at the begin I should need some help.
There are existent functions that I could use?
Who is the developer mannager?
There are coded missions to review and keep a coherency writing missions code?

Ah!, of course, one question...I download the ships from Killerwave, many are capships but don't work how capships because the IFF's maybe have not the complete info?. If I put this ships how "ships" (no capships) and obviouslly they run but the turrets are untochables :), if I want use them how capships the game crash :(

Thanks!

Capships can be implemented either like WCP corvettes (as ordinary ships), or like WCP capships (as, well, capships :p). For corvete-style capships, it's perfectly normal for their turrets to be untouchable. Anyway, once a capship is converted to WCP, it's either a corvette or a capship - you can't change it from one to the other just by altering the mission.

As for Standoff... we have a source code package that's used by all the mission programmers. I keep the package as up-to-date as possible. It basically includes the source code for everything in Standoff that has been programmed so far. Of course, all missions are different, so there will always be things to program that you won't be able to find in other missions, but that's only to be expected. Other than that, you can usually just ask us for help.

Yes, I was looking and editing the kcarrier.iff (e.g.) to change it to Capship (this have corvette style), this is a special ship with tuurets :). Modifing the Form SHIP and dot CAPS I can look it how capship, now I look that the problem is determine the BRIDGE and / or ENGINE forms, to do this I need decode the mesh too determine the hardpoint mesh, but... I'm trouble here :), wcppascal send me "Range Check Error" when it try decode the mesh... can you send me the kcarrierm.iff in wcppascal format?

Now with standoff. If you like I can begin looking the package contents. This is big? do you want send me mail or you have a ftp where I can download?

Topic 3: I was thinking, in standoff we have movies?, maybe we could do some patch to run flash movies before briefings, I say because flash could be easy to prebriefings scenes... and many people know how use it, or this can be the subject of a new thread...:)

I don't have any source code for the ships on KillerWave's page. In fact, in general there is no source code for any ship meshes - they are put together using a different tool. You can add or change hardpoints on the mesh using one of the hardpoint-editing tools on Thomas Bruckner's page. I'm not sure if you'll get anywhere with this, though - a capship actually consists of several meshes (ie., bridge and engine components are separate from the hull), while a corvette is a single mesh. So, if you wanted to add a bridge or engine component onto a corvette-style capship mesh, you'd have to add additional meshes on top of an already-complete ship.

Standoff has the DivX patch, so any movies it will have will be in that format (and in-game cutscenes, like in UE). I don't think flash movies ever occured to us, but they'd be difficult enough to implement that it's just not worth the effort. By the time HCl would have implemented the appropriate patch (if such a patch is at all possible, which I doubt - there are limits to how much you can alter a game without the source code), we'd probably be getting ready to release Standoff :p.

About of source code, simply I should want decode the mesh to edit the forms, I'm looking a decode capship merlin.iff and copy many forms from those to kcarrier.iff, this I could transform the ship to capship (all minus the bridge and engine forms), without this declaration the capship begin with an explosion :) ! because the game consider that they are death!
Simply when I try decode the kcarrierm.iff mesh get error from wcppascal "Range Check Error", and I supouse that the hardponit I could change it here.

Well, related to DivX I don't say replace the movies, I express a view of prebriefings where the game actors will could talk, a mixed type of comics or some easy to dessign, this is without remove the movies system, how a supplement... :)

And about standoff, you can not answer?

Thanks!

tango said:
About of source code, simply I should want decode the mesh to edit the forms, I'm looking a decode capship merlin.iff and copy many forms from those to kcarrier.iff, this I could transform the ship to capship (all minus the bridge and engine forms), without this declaration the capship begin with an explosion :) ! because the game consider that they are death!
Simply when I try decode the kcarrierm.iff mesh get error from wcppascal "Range Check Error", and I supouse that the hardponit I could change it here.
WCPPas isn't very good when compiling large files... 3d models in the WCP engine are very, very large files, specially capships... so you probably will never be able to recompile one in WCPPas (when compiling capships, we use other tools).

tango said:
And about standoff, you can not answer?
We'll continue the discussion via email just so we can talk about the details more openly :) I've just added you to Standoff's mailing list, you can get the details from Quarto there.

Oh, it's like I said in that private message, I'll get Eder to add you to the mailing list, and then I'll send you the source code package once I've updated it :).

The problem with flash movies isn't whether they'd replace ordinary movies - the problem is how to get the game to play them. This is either impossible, or extremely difficult, and the only person who can do it (Mario Brito) is always very busy anyway. So, not much of a chance there :p.

About the capship, it doesn't work like that. The bridge and engine declarations are in the ship file, not in the mesh file. In the ship file (which can be decompiled in WCPPas), find the COMP form and add something like this to it:

Code:
      FORM "ENGN"
      {
        CHUNK "DATA"
        {
          cstring "eng1"
          cstring "con_eng1"
          cstring "con_eng1d"
          float 3000.0
        }
      }
Eng1 is the hardpoint to which the engine is attached. Con_eng1 is the name of the engine mesh, and con_eng1d is the name of the mesh that's used after the engine was destroyed. And 3000 is the amount of hitpoints. For a bridge, it all works the same, except that the form is named BRID. And yes, not having any engine or bridge components (although you can have one without the other) results in the capship exploding immediately. As for the meshes, like I said, look for a hardpoint-editing tool on Thomas' page - decoding meshes in WCPPas simply doesn't work :p.

I'm sorry I forgot review my privete messages! :)
It's all right then I 'll wait the publication package.

About capships.. I'll download the hardpoint editor, I will see how can do it.

Thanks!

Well, I tried with Hardpoint editor, first I tested with verion 1.0a and can read the meash file ok, but here I can not add hard points :(, now I have two versions of hardpoint, I run the other it say verision 1.02, I look the ADD hard point button! :) but when I try open the mesh get message "file not found", well I change debug parameter on INI file from 0 to 1, run again and the message say "access violation at address ..."
Version 1.02 have to work fine? this is the last?

Thanks!

You have to make sure that the editor knows where to look for the mesh files. There's a path parameter in turrets.ini that you must set. However, the turret editor automatically adds the "\mesh" subdirectory at the end of any directory you enter in the ini file. So, if you want to edit the meshes inside c:\games\Secret Ops\mesh, just enter: path=c:\games\Secret Ops\

Once you've done this, start up the hardpoint editor and take a look at the pull-down menu (below the textbox with the path), and you should have all the meshes available to select.

Maybe i can shed some light into it...

If im getting it right, you're trying to get a corvette style mesh into a capship simple by adding hardpoints to where the engines and bridge should be located, right?
It doesnt work like that, capships are much more complex than that.
While a corvette is composed of a single mesh (model), a capship is composed from several models (one for the hull, one for the engine, one for the hangar...and so on), every single on with its own colision tree. So unless you extract the mesh to an editable format, split it in the desired pieces and convert to WCP format all over again, editing the mesh and/or adding hardpoints wont help anything.

Id recomend you check the tutorials at my page:

http://killerwave.solsector.net/Model_Tutorial.htm

http://killerwave.solsector.net/Capship_Tutorial.htm

OK, thanks to both!, then I was not far away..., i need modelc to edit the main hull and separate the bridge and/or engine meshes in separate files and assign them the collsision tree. Next edit the main mesh and assign the hardpoints declaring the forms bridge/engine and yours meshes. Also I removed the forms from the main ship adding the forms "capshps", I did this coping form other capital ship iff.
I'll test that!

Thanks again!

Quarto said:
You have to make sure that the editor knows where to look for the mesh files. There's a path parameter in turrets.ini that you must set. However, the turret editor automatically adds the "\mesh" subdirectory at the end of any directory you enter in the ini file. So, if you want to edit the meshes inside c:\games\Secret Ops\mesh, just enter: path=c:\games\Secret Ops\

Once you've done this, start up the hardpoint editor and take a look at the pull-down menu (below the textbox with the path), and you should have all the meshes available to select.

version 1.02 is the last?

You cant edit models and separate then with modelc, you will need a 3d modelling program for that. ModelC only converts the models to WCP format.

tango said:
version 1.02 is the last?
That's right. After version 1.02, Thomas didn't develop the hardpoint editor further - instead, he added hardpoint-editing capabilities to the collision sphere editor. A good idea on his part (being able to do more in one editor is always good), but I personally prefer using the hardpoint editor, because its mesh viewer allows you to rotate the mesh, whereas the collision sphere editor just displays three different views of the mesh.

Well, now I can ad hardpoints hardpoint editor work fine, also I could read about the capship tutotial, I'm trying to do a capship with some components from other capships to know the entry process.
When I try to use colsphr editor and I try open a mesh this return an infinite loop of "access violation" messages box. :(
Some idea?, some sepecial setup?

And my second question is, how we can scale a mesh finished?, Can I invert the process? Take a finished mesh and edit it?

Thanks!

tango said:
When I try to use colsphr editor and I try open a mesh this return an infinite loop of "access violation" messages box. :(
Some idea?, some sepecial setup?
No special setup... you should be able to open the mesh, and if you can't... well, then you can't :p. Not all meshes work right, although in some cases you may not even be aware of the problems until you try a particular tool. I've seen some pretty screwy meshes work fine in WCP for example, while refusing to work with any mesh-editing tools.

Well, I will try with many meshes if I get errors with all meshes then I must download the editor again.
This have many versions published or only one?

Thanks!

Back