Miscellaneous WCP stuff

The SWC, SegaCD and FM Towns versions of WC1 have full speech...

The FM Towns version of WC2 has full speech.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Someone's never played any of the full speech'd versions of WC1 or 2. :)
Haha! Well, I have played WC2 with full speech, but yeah, I was talking about the ones without it.:)

One of the things that I thought was strange about Prophecy is that whilst Blair has visably aged much since WC4, Maniac and Hawk look exactly the same, and Rachel looks better then she did in WC3.

Blair tells Casey that "It's been many years since I flew my last mission" so if many years since WC4 have passed, shouldn't Hawk be flying a desk, Maniac looking a lot less youthful, and Rachel looking more haggard then cute?

I was also surprised at how few bar scenes there were on CD's 2 and 3 - since there is this long-running friendship between Casey and Maestro (which Zero seems to slot perfectly into) I would of expected a few more comedy scenes with this three larking about in the rec room...

Affiliations

Could someone explain to me how all these pilots from the first four Wing Commander games (or, at least in the timline) jump from UBW to Confed to UBW to Confed?

In WC4, it was subtly suggested that Hawk and Panther and Admiral Wilford were all Confed pilots but from the UBW (ie "These too kicked a lot of butt for Confed...," "Weren't you with Confed, sir?").

How can you be in the UBW and be affiliated with Confed too? Was the UBW in Wing Four just as Confed had said, a militia? It was dismantled at the end and all the UBW pilots went back to work for Confed?

IIRC, Admiral Wilford had retired after the end of the war with the Kilrathi, cause Eisen says something about the UBW convincing him to return to service, so he could have fought for confed, then retired, and then joined the UBW

As for Hawk and Panther, i would expect that the UBW would have allied with confed against the Kilrathi, so in affect they *could* be considered to have flown with and fought for confed

(Hawk says something in prophecy about he should have kept flying for the UBW as the knew what to do with the Kilrathi)

I thought Hawk was still anti-kat? The UBW offers sanctuary to the Kilrathi, don't they? If Hawk is so down with killing kats, why would he continue to fly for a service he doesn't believe in...? Especially one that harbors his enemy...?

:confused:

It's all explained in Casey's dressing down of Hawk. The only war Hawk is fighting against the Kilrathi is the one in his head.

iirc, Spyder mentions something about Hawk having served in Confed (in the scene where he gives the knife to Casey) along with the info about the fate of Hawk's home planet. He probably served in Confed, either quit or got the boot, and ended up signing on with the UBW against the cats.
IMHO, his comments in WCP about his prior service with Blair seem to go against the impressions I got about him in WC4, but then again, so does the idea of Blair (who should have been as far from the front lines as Confed could get a suspected traitor) pulling Iceman's body out of an escape pod.

Ok, so just out of intrest then, in WCP why has Blair aged so much when Hawk, Maniac, Dekker, and Rachel haven't? ;)

Oh, and wasn't the Midway a project backed by Blair and Paladin post-WC4 (in which case I'd assume it takes several years to design and build a carrier, especially one the size of the Midway!) in which case the question should be why haven't the four mentioned above aged rather then why has Blair...

Another thing - the Excalibur was a superb ship, what with it's auto-targeting guns and cloaking device. The Black Lance Dragon was even better. Both these ships seem superior to the Vampire in WCP (which I am guessing is supposed to be the creme de la creme of ships) so why is it that Excaliburs are still flown by everyone else, and the Dragon has disapeered?

You would of thought the non-bio stuff the Black Lance used would of found it's way into the rest of Confed.

Originally posted by Mackle
Ok, so just out of intrest then, in WCP why has Blair aged so much when Hawk, Maniac, Dekker, and Rachel haven't? ;)

Oh, and wasn't the Midway a project backed by Blair and Paladin post-WC4 (in which case I'd assume it takes several years to design and build a carrier, especially one the size of the Midway!) in which case the question should be why haven't the four mentioned above aged rather then why has Blair...

New anti-aging drugs will do wonders in the future.
Blair just looks so much older from all the stress of trying to make his new toy work.
:D
Seriously, enough time has passed since WC4 that Hawk, Maniac, and Dekker should be showing some age. Rachel, providing she were a very young crew chief on board the Victory, might be able to get away with the argument that she's just about to start showing her age (stuck in the nebulous area where make-up will still hide it).

Another thing - the Excalibur was a superb ship, what with it's auto-targeting guns and cloaking device. The Black Lance Dragon was even better. Both these ships seem superior to the Vampire in WCP (which I am guessing is supposed to be the creme de la creme of ships) so why is it that Excaliburs are still flown by everyone else, and the Dragon has disapeered?
You would of thought the non-bio stuff the Black Lance used would of found it's way into the rest of Confed.

The Dragon is probably gone purely for emotional reasons. People would identify it with the Black Lance, even years after the Black Lance had been put down, and that would cause unnecessary tension. And if its such a powerful fighter, expense might have been an issue as well.
As for the Excalibur... If the only reason its superior is its auto-targeting guns and its cloaking device, its probably been discontinued due to cost. Cloaking devices seem better suited to light scout-type fighters or heavy bombers (the former would use them to go where they shouldn't, while the latter would use them to slip past fighter patrols). Fighters such as the Vampire, on the other hand, are generally built to go somewhere and make their presence known.
It would make sense to put a cloaking device on the Panther (not that you'd use it in WCP), and maybe the Shrike and/or Devastator, but the Vampire doesn't really need it.

About the aging thing, some people simply age better than others.

IIRC a very limited number of Dragons were produced and most were destroyed. Their links with the BL and the presence of alternatives probably killed further building programmes.
The Excalibur is outclassed by the Vampire. The Vamp is faster, more agile and carries more missiles. Any remaining Excaliburs serve with Reserve/In System Security squadrons.

The bugs can apparently detect cloaked ships so cloaking devices are useless. Finally the utility of auto-tracking systems does not outweigh the cost of installation.

Blair's haunted by the terrible things he's done -- Maniac's a lovable idiot without a care in the world. One of them is going to age quicker... <G>

As far as we know, only 4 squadrons of Lances existed... and more than three of these were destroyed (the exception being those captured by the Border Worlds). There are probably a zillion reasons though -- expense and the simple fact that it's a *Black Ops* fighter being near the top of those...

WCP ships do apparently heave cloaking devices.

New anti-aging drugs will do wonders in the future.

A certain younger brother begs to differ... :)

Re: Affiliations

Originally posted by Col.Dom
Could someone explain to me how all these pilots from the first four Wing Commander games (or, at least in the timline) jump from UBW to Confed to UBW to Confed?

How can you be in the UBW and be affiliated with Confed too? Was the UBW in Wing Four just as Confed had said, a militia? It was dismantled at the end and all the UBW pilots went back to work for Confed?

Guess who just got the Prophecy strategy guide?

Anyhow, the border Worlds is still a seperate political entity according to the guide. After the events in WCIV, Confed and the UBW worked on strengthening their ties. One of the tools used was a compact between them for increased military exchange and cooperation including a provision allowing the transfer of officers of all ranks between the two. Wilford was brought into the Midway project through this program, at the request of Blair. Wilford brought along Hawk. The same goes for Dekker, though they don't say who asked him.

In case you are curious about Wilford's rank, since he was an Admiral in WCIV, and he is a Captain in Prophecy. Wilford had reached the naval rank of Captain with Confed. After the Kilrathi war he returned home to the Border Worlds and was give a UBW rank of Rear Admiral. Since he left Confed as a Captain, that is the rank he is going to have in Confed, though he is still a UBW rear admiral.

Back