Miscellaneous WCP stuff

Re: Re: Affiliations

Originally posted by Shane

In case you are curious about Wilford's rank, since he was an Admiral in WCIV, and he is a Captain in Prophecy. Wilford had reached the naval rank of Captain with Confed. After the Kilrathi war he returned home to the Border Worlds and was give a UBW rank of Rear Admiral. Since he left Confed as a Captain, that is the rank he is going to have in Confed, though he is still a UBW rear admiral.

Why would a UBW Rear Admiral allow himself to be busted back in rank just because he's on an exchange programme? That doesn't sound right and undoubtedly would lead to various problems. I mean under this system he's no longer the equal of Confed Admirals. Also during joint exercises do UBW forces continue to acknowledge him as an admiral, or as captain?

Re: Re: Re: Affiliations

Originally posted by Penguin
Why would a UBW Rear Admiral allow himself to be busted back in rank just because he's on an exchange programme? That doesn't sound right and undoubtedly would lead to various problems. I mean under this system he's no longer the equal of Confed Admirals. Also during joint exercises do UBW forces continue to acknowledge him as an admiral, or as captain?
Well, the easiest answer is that Origin simply needed a high-ranking officer that was familiar to us, and unfortunately Jason Bernard had died.
In-game, I suppose one could come up with some sort of answer, but I think you missed the real question - why would someone who, in '73, already had 40 years of service behind him (and had just retired), find himself serving in a field position in '81? I mean, isn't the guy like 4,000 years old? :)

Does Maniac ever get promoted?? Shouldn't he get thrown out for excessive TIG?? I mean, he really does deserve a promotion. Like he said, with all the years of service in Confed....

Then again, he turned down leadership of a squadron. Too bad; would've loved to see him lead.

:cool:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Affiliations

Originally posted by Quarto
Well, the easiest answer is that Origin simply needed a high-ranking officer that was familiar to us, and unfortunately Jason Bernard had died.

For the love of everything holy, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong... but didn't Mr. Bernard pass away in the last year or so?

Re: Re: Re: Affiliations

Originally posted by Penguin

Why would a UBW Rear Admiral allow himself to be busted back in rank just because he's on an exchange programme? (...)

According to the WCP guide, the prestige and honour in commanding Confed's newest ship was well worth the price of a formal reduction in rank for him.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Affiliations

Originally posted by Saturnyne
For the love of everything holy, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong... but didn't Mr. Bernard pass away in the last year or so?
You are indeed wrong - I don't remember the exact date bacause back then, I barely even knew what the hell Wing Commander was, but I believe he died in 1996, or maybe early 1997. Before WCP was made, at any chance.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Affiliations

Ah... okay. I'll just go to a corner and shoot myself for not knowing that. later!

IIRC, they had a brief in memorium at the end of 'Liar, Liar' for him (he played the judge, for those who haven't seen it). He must have died shortly after they finished shooting.

Back