Miscellaneous WCP stuff

Wedge009

Rogue Leader
Amazing choice of name, given recent events but anyway...

The first briefing in the G'wriss system in WCP (at least from what I extracted from SPEECH1.TRE) mentions that the supply convoy (which gets blown up anyway) was originally headed to "Taliban colony".

I also discovered that the untranslated Nephilim speech is simply taunts like "Death is awaiting you" played backwards, with some garbage thrown in. Just another bit of WC trivia.

Another thing: during the final mission, Blair's second final transmission to Casey (05080058.WVE in SPEECH3.TRE) sounds 'blurred' towards the end, like the tape which it was recorded on became scrunched up and damaged. Incidentally, it happens while he's almost yelling at Casey to destroy the last cooling tower - I never noticed it while playing (no doubt I was too busy trying to keep Casey alive) but when I extracted and played it, I thought Blair was letting his 'Nephilim' side get to him!

Yet another cut scene from Prophecy, but they left the subtitles for it. If it was included it would be between Hawk's death and Blair's rescue.

To friendship!
To friendship!
May you drink the blood of your enemies while it's still hot.
That's a Kilrathi toast, you guys, come on.
Well, well, well, look what we've got here.
So, that's what she goes for.
Talk about putting a tiger in your tank.
I think I need to get us another one.

What do you guys think? Why do you think didn't they include it? Aside from the obvious like lack of space, etc.

Originally posted by Wedge009
The first briefing in the G'wriss system in WCP (at least from what I extracted from SPEECH1.TRE) mentions that the supply convoy (which gets blown up anyway) was originally headed to "Taliban colony".
May not be pure luck or anything... WC has been making political statements since the very start (eg., Knight being from South Africa, etc.,). Except that if this is a political statement, it's pretty vague :p.

What do you guys think? Why do you think didn't they include it? Aside from the obvious like lack of space, etc.
Ah, the famous bar scene (AKA "Stiletto starts falling for Casey", according to one of the other .eng files :)). I can assure you it wasn't lack of space that kept this one out... for example, on the first CD, large amounts of space are simply wasted by having some cutscenes twice or even three times.
...Didn't somebody mention this scene originally appearing on the WCP website?

Amazing choice of name, given recent events but anyway...

Heh. I noticed that the other day when I was playing through. Someone ought to stick a note in about that in the site Game Guide.
:)

Yet another cut scene from Prophecy, but they left the subtitles for it. If it was included it would be between Hawk's death and Blair's rescue.

To friendship!
To friendship!
May you drink the blood of your enemies while it's still hot.
That's a Kilrathi toast, you guys, come on.
Well, well, well, look what we've got here.
So, that's what she goes for.
Talk about putting a tiger in your tank.
I think I need to get us another one.

Haven't got a clue why it wasn't in. The only thing I can say is that after a certain point in the early part of the game, the cutscenes seemed to suddenly get rather sparse. Wouldn't have minded another one around that point.

If they were concerned about space at some point, why leave all the extra scenes on there? If they're not being used, there's no point in letting them take up disk space.

Uhm, sure, Meson.

The scene *isn't* there -- just the text that would have accompanied it.

(I don't think Prophecy was lacking in disk space either, though...).

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
(I don't think Prophecy was lacking in disk space either, though...).

Seems true enough to me. At least, the missions were the least of their worries (If any). I remember the SO episodes included 5 or more missions, and the downloads were less than a meg.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The scene was *very* poorly acted <G>
<Urk> If the stuff they included was 'good'... I'm no critic, but some of the scenes in WCP still make me cringe.

Plus, the reference made absolutely no sense -- why would Maestro be familiar with a 700 year old advertisement for gasoline (that's gone out of circulation even today) <G>?

Interestingly, that phrase does now have a general meaning, specifically “to invest one with energy or ‘go’” according to the OED. It has even been used as a sexual allusion. But yeah, yuck!, the writers could have come up with something better.:)

The best acting thus far has been in Wing Commander IV (sans Paulsen's "stare into the abyss/place-where-cameramen-are for twenty seconds," that happens at the end of every FMV he's in).

... (sans when he gets his throat slit by Seether)

I don't know, I thought the whole cast of WC1 was fabulous. You had Halycon's eyebrows furrow and eyes narrow when he was upset. And you knew he was upset because of the proper use of exclamation points. Blair got the confused look down with wide open eyes and raised eyebrows. Maybe because it was a silent game and I'm old fashioned... :) Seriously, IV did seem to have the best acting of the bunch, but I thought a lot of Priv 2 was very well acted as well.

I also discovered that the untranslated Nephilim speech is simply taunts like "Death is awaiting you" played backwards, with some garbage thrown in. Just another bit of WC trivia.

Really? I could've sworn they were saying "you and me have sex oh yes"

Then again... :D;;;

Originally posted by bonemouth
I agree. WC4 did have the best acting, and the "acting" in WC1 and 2 was awesome! (For the time, at least.)

But nothing'll beat Super Wing Commander's Monty Python approach!

HA HA HA :D

Re: Re: Miscellaneous WCP stuff

Originally posted by Bob McDob
Really? I could've sworn they were saying "you and me have sex oh yes"

Oh, sorry, that was just me :p

Originally posted by bonemouth
I agree. WC4 did have the best acting, and the "acting" in WC1 and 2 was awesome! (For the time, at least.)

Someone's never played any of the full speech'd versions of WC1 or 2. :)

SWC was the only one with speech for the first WC game, correct? I remeber being very excited about the speech pack for WC2 when it came out.

Back