Kilrathi War.

Originally posted by TC
The Confed fleet had been quite good. Unfourtunately it was decimated twice. First, at the begining of the war at McAuliffe. Then again, just before WC3 during the Battle of Terra and the leadup to that.

True, but look at the circumstances.

McAuliffe: Kilrathi fleet is twice the size of the Confed fleet.

Battle of Terra: Nearly all of Confeds fleet has been disassembled, and whats left is going up against several supercarriers.

No wonder they got beat.

From Action Stations page 81:

"And remember, Nargth, their combined strength in ships, especially heavy vessels; is half again as great as ours"

As you can clearly see, the Confederation fleet was quite a bit larger at McAliffe. Confed could have won had it not been a suprise attack (and had all the ships had time to fix themselves and get to full operation)

TC

[Edited by TC on 02-22-2001 at 02:08]

Originally posted by Quarto

In case it's not obvious enough, yes, the above paragraph is sarcasm; I simply don't see how anybody could possibly think that "the only language [insert race/nation/sex/whatever here] understand is violence".
Quarto: I grant that the Kilrathi were not animals, and
could understand many other languages besides violence.

Be that as it may, I don't think they were listening. Is
there any way the Kilrathi War could have ended, except
in the obliteration of either Kilrah or Earth? Unless
we gave up, like the Mandarins did?

By the end of WCIII, it seems that the Kilrathi were
bent on the total extermination of humanity. In fact,
in Forstchen's novelization, the Kilrathi emperor
orders the extermination of all human slaves within
the empire, as well as all humans outside. Surrender
was no longer an option for humanity. What,
short of violence, could have persuaded them to
stop their wave of conquest, settle down and attempt
to live peaceably with their neighbors?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Originally posted by pendell
...I grant that the Kilrathi were not animals, and
could understand many other languages besides violence.
Be that as it may, I don't think they were listening...

There it is!!! What I have been trying to point out all along!!!
And I think it was based on the visit of those aliens in 1600 BC: the Kilrathi were not listening anymore until their world was obliterated, which ultimately "washed away the wax from their ears"... :)

mpanty, you forget that the Kilrathi were born on the plains of Kilrah under showers of acidic ash. Such a hostile environment ultimately breeds agressive predators in the struggle to survive!

1600bc was NOT the turning point in Kilrathi culture, it was merely the culmination of millions of years of evolution into a social cohesion, a structure in which they could more efficiently hunt. That is the way of the predator.

With regards to the Battle of Terra, the government at the time were foolish for accepting the armistice. Surely, it should have been more of an unconditional surrender, nothing less! Even if billions have died, surely the government or at the very least, the military, have been wise enough to know the Kilrathi would not lay down their arms given their past deeds!

If you don't remember, most of our Human descent was evolved during the Ice Age, which was very hostile. So why didn't we evolve bloodthristily like the Kilrathi? Easy, because many of the species on our planet did not evolve under harsh conditions, so we followed the trait. And when the Star Gods appeared, as it states in WCP and the Timeline, Kilrathi culture is BASED on that moment. They believe that they must destroy all other races, and if they lose, well, they die (until Confed helps them and we kick the shit aout of the Bugs, and i also know that wasjust a very small portion of the Nephiilem fleet)

The Kilrathi evolved under different conditions -- because of Kilrah's violent nature, there was very little land that was in any way habitable -- thus, they had to fight eachother simply to survive. Harsh though it may have been, the ice age on Earth was *universally* harsh.

Granted, but after they had taken control of their home planet, were they forced to annhilate all other races?

I guess it was fear from the Star Gods, who swore they would come back to destroy them, if they ever were dominated/conquered by another race, and this eventually became the basis of their culture.

By destroying Kilrah, Blair finally their beliefs were based on wrong pylons...

Originally posted by mpanty
On the first encounter with the spaceship Iason, they opened fire with [b[ absolutely no reason [/b]!

Well according to the Armada manual they had a reason to open fire upon the Iason: The Kilrathi Captain thought the humans tried to neutralize his shields with their communication.
From this point of view, it must seem that Confed started the war with its unprovoked attempt to attack their ship.

Hey, they never fired a shot at them! Even if the Iason was hypothetically trying to jam their shields in the Kilrathis' eyes, did they have to respond so violently, utterly destroying the ship with all its crew? Besides, I don't think the Iason was heavily armed, was it?

And why on Earth did they have to start attacking Terran colonies and ships??... They did not represent a threat...

You see, I don't think it is worth trying to defend the Kilrathi, their behaviour before the destruction of Kilrah was in my opinion inexcusable in all ways...

To the Kilrathi Captain it seemed as if the Iason
tried to disable his shields.
Well the Kilrathi may not have known if the Terrans pose a threat or not. Remember even we have the slogan: "Attack is the best defence". And the Kilrathi did not want to take a chance, not with the threat the Mantu could still pose.
But I agree the Kilrathi are described as very aggressive, at least in the novels and especially in WC3.

The Kilrathi were ruthless. But now, there nothing more then a pack of rock throwing baboons.

Well according to the Armada manual they had a reason to open fire upon the Iason: The Kilrathi Captain thought the humans tried to neutralize his shields with their communication.

*Snort* -- then I suggest that said Kilrathi Captain was
suffering from paranoid delusions.

I can just see it ... you come up to a previously unknown
ship in space, and it starts radiating emissions. You
immediately assume that it's trying to jam your shields
and blow it up? Without pursuing any alternate theories
as to why it's doing what its doing? You immediately put the absolute worst interpretation on its actions, and
your first, best course of action when encountering an
alien species which may influence the fate of your people for generations, is to blow it up?

And its not like the Kilrathi didn't know what communications technology was. They certainly had no
difficulty making themselves understood in WC1. To confuse
a communicator with a shield jammer is, to me, a
death-defying leap of logic.

Even if this was a legitimate mistake, was it necessary to
attack the humans with every thing they had, based on
that first encounter? Why is it that the Kilrathi had
to attack Mcauliffe, and to raid human colonies? Does this
sound like a bunch of innocents, out for a lark in the
park when all of a sudden these evil apes come in and
spoil their Eden?

I contend that the Iason incident is almost irrelevant.
Regardless of what happened at that first contact, and
any accidents that may have happened then, the
Kilrathi government decided at some point that humans
were a prey species, and that reason alone was enough
to make war on them. They weren't interested in peaceful coexistence -- they were interested in conquest at first, and extinction at the last. Certainly Thrakhath seemed to think so, and I believe it is likely that he was a pretty good reflection of the emperor's own attitudes.

Fortunately, not all Kilrathi shared Thrakhath's view
of humanity, and were willing to give peace a chance once
Thrakhath and his family had been disposed of. It's a
pity it took the destruction of Kilrah to do that. Perhaps
a one-on-one campaign of assassination instead?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Yea, they attacked because they thought they were under attack, THEN the confederation ships kept on invading their territory so they responded over the next 5 years. Then Confed declares war and the cats try to win, what do they get, a blown up homeworld and a Vesille like treaty

Originally posted by pendell

I contend that the Iason incident is almost irrelevant.
Regardless of what happened at that first contact, and
any accidents that may have happened then, the
Kilrathi government decided at some point that humans
were a prey species, and that reason alone was enough
to make war on them. They weren't interested in peaceful coexistence -- they were interested in conquest at first, and extinction at the last. Certainly Thrakhath seemed to think so, and I believe it is likely that he was a pretty good reflection of the emperor's own attitudes.

Fortunately, not all Kilrathi shared Thrakhath's view
of humanity, and were willing to give peace a chance once
Thrakhath and his family had been disposed of. It's a
pity it took the destruction of Kilrah to do that. Perhaps
a one-on-one campaign of assassination instead?

Mmmmh, I have doubts regarding the fact that not all the Kilrathi shared Thrakhath's vision.

I mean, after Hobbes joined the Confed side in the WC I secret missions, and through WC II and III, I was confident with that idea, but after Hobbes' double crossing, that hope was gone :(

I think that Melek decided on a peaceful co-existence with the humans, after Kilrah was blown up, because it was the only option left, otherwise the Kilrathi race would have been most probably terminated...
Again, they were freed from their customs of the Star Gods.

Kilrah was the back-bone od the Empire. Remember what Paladin said about that Hieracy ?

Most of the fleet was in orbit at the destruction of Kilrah, so any offensive would end fatal (at least morale woulkd be high on both sides. The Kilrathi Homeworld was gone, but revenge is sweet.)

Wisely enough though, Melek and the remaining Kilrathi chose not to pursue a pointless war... :cool:

Originally posted by mpanty

Mmmmh, I have doubts regarding the fact that not all the Kilrathi shared Thrakhath's vision.
[/B]

Well... I think there were doubts for a couple reasons:
1. In the WC3 novelization, Melek is far from an
enthusiastic supporter of T's war effort. If anything,
he fears that T underestimates the humans.

2. From the same source, the emperor mentioned to T that
he had survived X assassination attempts after the failed
battle of Terra. Clearly there are those within the empire
who would rather have a change of government, and do not
support all of T's policies. Fighting the humans may or
may not be one of those the rest of the empire supports.

3. From the same source, Hobbes left Blair a holorecording
after he defected. In it, he indicated that he maintained
that the highest respect for Blair, and hoped that they
would not have to fight again. If they did, Hobbes would,
reluctantly, do his duty. I conclude from this that Hobbes,
whatever he thinks of the war effort, does not believe that
humans are an inferior prey species. There are at least
some humans whom he will recognize as worthy of honor. This
is different from Thrakhath's viewpoint, who consider all
humans to be mere animals.

4. And, of course, there were a number of Kilrathi worlds
in WC2 that were willing to join the confederation rather
than live under the emperor. Ghorah Kar being one but not
the only example. I strongly doubt that all the rebels were
personality overlays -- although undoubtedly the emperor
had secreted some of those individuals among them.

From this, I conclude that there was a great deal of
dissension in the Empire, if not against the war than
certainly against the Emperor and his clique. Therefore
I contend that it is a mistake to lump all Kilrathi together with Thrakhath and his hateful views. Just as it
would be wrong to condemn all Germans past, present, and
future because at one point in their history they were
ruled by a nutcase.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Back