Kilrathi War.

An oversight Napoleon. I too, take the view that Hobbes was loyal to Confed (and Blair) while Ralgha remained loyal to the Empire. But regardless, the overall feeling toward the cats as a whole in WC3 still felt more bitter and resentful. And it doesn't help that the Hobbes explanation was left out of the game. Unless you've seen it courtesy of the CIC, what else are you to think except that Hobbes simply decided to betray you and return to the Empire (or else was an agent all along)?

if you read the WC3 novel, in the opening scene, it makes it seem like the cats' actions were those of sheer desparation rather than anything else

Again, they should just have loaded every hsip with Banshees and then they would have won the war in 5 minutes if I was a pilot (Though I was Blair for a while)

Antman, in case you hadn't realized, the Banshee wasn't around at that time. In fact, the Banshee was a bastard design that might have been a whole lot better if it wasn't produced in the BW. There was a site around a long time ago, called Sojourner's References. In the article on the Banshee, he pointed out that the it isn't very sleek, in fact it is kind of boxy. That is because it is easier and cheaper to build such things, which would have been a necessity for the BW.

And as for finishing the war in 5 minutes if you were flying... A bit confident in your abilities, no?

Originally posted by mpanty
HEY! Is this your faith in human nature, "anything that some human wouldn't be proud of"???
How can you deny the truth!? You might be a Kilrathi fan and admire their ways and their code of honour in battle (and I think even I do admire their battle strategies), but they have absolutely no signs of humanity, and that's a fact!! And that's because the storywriters/Chris Roberts made them so...

As a result, so signs of mercy or anything of the kind.
I know it's sad, but that's how they were meant to be... :(
Oh, I have faith in human nature, all right. It's just that I'm not blind - I see what human nature is really like. I have faith in human nature - I have faith that humanity is cruel, merciless, and downright evil. That is human nature. But I have faith, too, that humanity is kind, merciful, creative, and generally good. Because that too, is human nature. And they are not mutually exclusive. Show me a human that did something kind, and I'll show you another that commits genocide.

According to you people, somehow the genocide of several races makes the Kilrathi more evil than humanity. How many nations have been wiped out on Earth? How many times have colonists landed and decided that coexistence just won't work - those bloody primitives absolutely must go. Such deceitful measures as you condemn in the Kilrathi were par for the course.

I repeat - there is no thing the Kilrathi did, that some human wouldn't be proud of. And remember, we only heard about the bad things, because there was this war on... do you recall when we started hearing all those bad things about Saddam Hussein? Milosevic? How about the anti-Japanese propaganda in WWII? My point is that when you're at war, you don't want your soldiers to think, "well, yeah, but maybe the enemy is really no different to us." You want the soldiers to hate the enemy, because it's the best way to control morale. And we, of course, saw the war from the Confed point of view. Naturally, you didn't hear about all the good things the Kilrathi did, or about the atrocities that Confed forces have commited.

Space craft do not have to be sleek. I mean there is no air in space so i think that a sleek ship would not do any more good than a boxy ship. I know that a sleek ship looks sexier and i don't mind them but i think that the Border Worlds are just a little bit more thrifty because they have to be. They don't have the resources of Confed so they have to make do with what they have and the Banshee is a great Example. She a good all around ship packs a good punch and can be counted on. I think that is all a pilot could ask of his or her ship. THe modular construction cuts and apparently doesn't make the ship any more ineffective so i do not see any downfall.

Humanity can be cruel, it is sometimes in our nature to be cruel. And i see how the Kilrathi could be admired for their "nobility." Personnaly i believe that Confed was a little too soft on the cats. 40 years of fighting would leave a bitter taste in my mouth and after playing through the wing commander games and what happened to ice man and angle i would not mind seeing every last cat dead.

You refer to the Japanese in World War II, Quarto, but have you ever read about just what kind of things the Japanese did during the war, that we never did? We did not have a Bataan Death March, we did not rape Nanking. Sometimes, there is an objective fact that certain sides are evil, and have to be stopped. That was the case with the Cats: crush them or die.

there is no one, "human nature" each person is genetically inclined to be either good or evil, but just becuase of this genetic inclination does not make somebody good or evil, the choices one makes also decide whether or not a person is evil or good. It is just that the evil people tend to be the ones who are remembered in history. I am reminded of shakespeare from Julius Caesar "The good that men do goes with them to the gave, but the evil that men do is remembered well beyond the grave" or somesuch

True, but my point is, that people do evil things, and they have to be stopped. In other words, if you decide to start killing people en masse, don't be surprised if someone else breaks your skull to stop you. They won't necessarily enjoy it, if they do, they are just as bad as you are. They do it because they have to. That is part of being a warrior. Violence is something you apply when necessary, and you don't enjoy it.

Originally posted by Quarto

...I have faith in human nature - I have faith that humanity is cruel, merciless, and downright evil. That is human nature. But I have faith, too, that humanity is kind, merciful, creative, and generally good. Because that too, is human nature. And they are not mutually exclusive. Show me a human that did something kind, and I'll show you another that commits genocide.

According to you people, somehow the genocide of several races makes the Kilrathi more evil than humanity. How many nations have been wiped out on Earth? How many times have colonists landed and decided that coexistence just won't work - those bloody primitives absolutely must go. Such deceitful measures as you condemn in the Kilrathi were par for the course(..)

I repeat - there is no thing the Kilrathi did, that some human wouldn't be proud of. And remember, we only heard about the bad things, because there was this war on... do you recall when we started hearing all those bad things about Saddam Hussein? Milosevic?(...)

I see that we're splitting up in groups here: pro-cats and anti-cats. Let's sum up:

Anti-cats:
*Fenris
*pendell
*mpanty (me)

Pro-cats:
*Quarto
*Napoleon

No, but more seriously now, I can see what you mean Quarto, that perhaps if Hitler had been leader of Kilrah, he would have made sure that as long as he was on power, all the Jews in the whole universe had to be exterminated.

But then he would have HUMANS as his vassals right? And among those humans, there MUST have been half that did not have that hatred for Jews as Hitler did, that were not condoning his actions, right? Well it wasn't the case for the Kilrathi, the majority of them was educated to believe that if they were not the master race of their universe, the Star Gods shall come back and destroy them...
I guess than from 1600 BC to around 2600, it was a heck of a longer time than what Hitler could dispose of to indoctrinate the Germans' heads from 1933 onwards...

But ultimately, as Fenris wisely pointed out, the Kilrathi had become a death-machine that HAD TO BE STOPPED!("Sometimes, there is an objective fact that certain sides are evil, and have to be stopped. That was the case with the Cats: crush them or die")
I think Fenris definitely made a point here...

[Edited by mpanty on 02-22-2001 at 22:32]

Unfortuanatly the people who try to stop evil from happening, tend to do more evil than the people they are stopping. The Czar's of russia weren't exactly good but the comunists did more harm than good in their attempt to get rid of them

I am pro-Cat.
"Die hairless ape"
I like that tauth, I would like the one
"buggs bunny s***** your mother" better but he cannot have that, can we....

LOL!! Good thing there's that "Taunt editor" for WC I (and II maybe?) available at the CIC center ;)

Yea but you can't hear yourself saying them, if I could I would have "Hey Gomer knock knock"whose there" jumping "jumping who" jumping gehuzaphat"

Originally posted by Napoleon
Yea but you can't hear yourself saying them, if I could I would have "Hey Gomer knock knock"whose there" jumping "jumping who" jumping gehuzaphat"

Napoleon, be kind enough to explain to all of us what you mean by that, while I go call the paramedics... ;) LOL

Dude, haven't you read wc4.123106?????? That is Earthworm Blair's/Mavrick Blair's/Bearkiss's most well used taunt. Almost as good as that one he used to trick the black lance guys to kill each other

Back