Kilrathi ranks

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Hello!
I only possess the German translation of "Victory Streak", the WC3 manual. It states that the ranks for the enlisted men are "Kralle" and for some of the officers it is "Klaue".
Now both means in English "claw" so I was wondering what they are called in the original version.
Did the translators mess it up i.e. : did the original use "fang" in one of the cases? They did not use "talon", did they?
Also in my (German) copy of "Freedom Flight" Captain Thorn is referred to as Kalrahr of the Tiger's Claw when he is presented to Ralgha. Is this also just a misspelling or did they forget to put it into "Victory Streaks"?

I would appreciate it if somebody could clear this up for me.

Here are all the ranks from the Victory streak. Ranks are form lowest to the top.

Kilrathti: Spaceforce: Navy:
*Least Claw - Spacehand - Spaceman
*Third Claw - Spacehand 2nd Class - Veteran Spaceman
*Second Claw - Spacehand 1st Class - Petty Officier
*First Claw - Senior Spacehand - Chief Petty Officier

*Fouth Fang - 2nd Lieutenant - Ensign 2nd Class
*Thid Fang - 1st Lieutenant - Ensign
*Second Fang - Captain - 2nd Lieutenant
*First Fang - Major - Lieutenant Commander
*Shintahr - Lieutenant Colonel - Commander
*Kal Shinthar - Colonel - Captain

*Kalahn - Brigadier General - Commodore
*Khantahr - Lieutenant General - Rear Admiral
*Kal Khanthar - Major General -Vice Admiral
*Kalralahr - General - Admiral

I havent read Freedom Flight, not englis or german one but it looks like they have used Kilrathi's admiral(Kalralahr) word instead the capten(Kal Shintahr).

Kalralahr is a term similar to 'Captain' in English -- it can mean both a rank *or* the position of commanding a ship.

Thanks Hammar! So they just messed it up again for the German translation.

Loaf, are you sure you mean Kalralahr and not Kalrahr?
The Victory Streak states that Kalrahlar is the equivalent of Space Marshal, at least my version does it :) .

This is probably the stupidest thread iv ever seen :)
Just think, thryig to learn and use a made up language :eek: No, I didn't mean it, STOP! AHHHH!

That's the same as if you would try to learn the Klingon language...*g* (I mean I just wanted to say 'Kapla',not to replace by 'hoppla'). It is just a little difficult...but for the Klingon language dictionarys and such things existe in the http://www...I don't know whether somebody ever made that for the Kilrathi language...it doesn't matter for me,'cause
I have enough with German,English and French...and what I also like at the WC universe is that they use the good old English language.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Thanks Hammar! So they just messed it up again for the German translation.

Loaf, are you sure you mean Kalralahr and not Kalrahr?
The Victory Streak states that Kalrahlar is the equivalent of Space Marshal, at least my version does it :) .

Your right, Kalrahlar is the equivalent of Space Marshall (My Victory Straks states it also)

Manjana, Antman I think you misunderstood me.
I only wanted to know if the term "Kalrahr" in my novel was a fault by a translator or the author or if it is an "official" Kilrathi rank that was left out in Victory Streak.

I do not try to learn and use Kilrathi (too little information) *g*.

Well perhaps a Kalrahr is the equivalent of a Captain in the Space Navy and a Kal Shintahr the equivalent of a Colonel in the Space Forces.

Loaf, do you mean that a Kalrahr is the commanding officer of a vessel even if he is of lower or higher rank than a Captain/Kal Shintahr?
But anyway do you regard the term "Kalrahr" as offical or only as an uncanonic lapse?

Kalrahr means captain in the sense that one commands a ship -- it is totally independant of rank. Since it appears in Freedom Flight (and several other places) it is canon.

Originally posted by Manjana
That's the same as if you would try to learn the Klingon language...*g* (I mean I just wanted to say 'Kapla',not to replace by 'hoppla'). It is just a little difficult...but for the Klingon language dictionarys and such things existe in the http://www...I don't know whether somebody ever made that for the Kilrathi language...it doesn't matter for me,'cause
I have enough with German,English and French...and what I also like at the WC universe is that they use the good old English language.

Actually, there is a Kilrathi laguage dictionary being made, and it's right here at the CIC. :)

incidentally, its Qu'pla. just thought id point it out. klingons dont use letter k (well, they dont use any english letters but you know what i mean)

OK thanks Loaf that was what I wanted to know.
But could you please give me another example where Kalrahr is used because I cannot remember any source besides FF?

Thanks for the advice. But as I said I don't have any plan to learn the Klingon OR the Kilrathi language. Why should I?
I even didn't want to learn Latin,'cause I saw no chance to use it in a way which could be positive for me. So should I learn an 'unspoken' language? before this I will learn the language which I seem to be unable to 'speak'....the mathematic one!!! (People who know me wouldn't believe it....the only books I never read are my math books!).

dude latin is an enormously important language to know. First, learning it will/would make learning any romance language alot easier. Second, if you notice most medical/scientific terms have latin roots that it would be helpful to know if you were not sure what a certain drug was/does. Third, practically nobody else speaks it so you can curse them off or make rude coments about them without them knowing it. It will be the same with kilrathi

Yeah, and everybody always respects those "HAH-HAH, I AM INSULTING YOU IN URDU!" people...:)

For the medical aspect, though, generally you would take a specific medical terminology course rather than latin.

And? I never wanted to become doctor (I wanted it a time ago,but I am realistic...I will never terminate school good enought to study medcine)....and as I had the choice to learn French or Latin...I have chosen the language which is still spoken. And insulting people in unknown languages...the people I have to insult don't speak French...and for the roots, I know the languages come from Latin.

Back