Kilrathi ranks

Originally posted by Ghost
The language of all european-mediterranian countrys comes from the old latin.

Not all of them. Greek is its own language, as is turkish and also albanian. They are all their own languages and are NOT romance languages

Okay,okay. Latin CAN be useful. It comes up on what you want to do with it. I know many sciences have quite a lot to do with it (for example biological names are written in Latin...for example Eudorina spec. There it can be useful).
Or for the other languages...the students at our school who had chosen Latin even became good in German grammar. But you can even be good at it without Latin.
And if I look at their lesson themes...translations of Caesar's speeeches...etc.) I don't think this would make a lot of fun.And as I said. I have my problems with math...(for me a language which is as complicated as the Chinese one...(I have nothing against the Chinese language.)).

Actually Chinese isn't all that complicated. I'm sure most of you know the Chinese characters are actually pictures, albeit a bit deformed when compared to the 'original' characters. So you have these little characters that represent things, such as the human heart, eyes, fields, a person etc ... now by combining these little ideas you can get more complicated characters that can represent, say, an idea. For example 'crowded'. So even if you don't know the meaning of a complicated character, it's always possible to break the character down into it's component parts and make a good guess. As opposed to something like Latin where if you don't know a word and have no dictionary, you're screwed unless you happen to see the word in a sentence. Unless you don't know some more words in the sentence. The character system also allows you to read faster. Since we think in pictures more than words. On average, Chinese (and similar languages) can be read 1.5 times as fast as any European language.

Plus, from what my mom and uncle tell me, there are no differnet forms of words. I.e past, present, future tense. And there's no real grammer in the language. The only draw back to such laguages is that trying to type in them is a hopeless excercise.

And I agree, Latin is a dead language!

[Edited by steampunk on 02-21-2001 at 09:08]

Thanks for the explanation of the Chinese language, but it was just a comparsion to show, that I am sitting in front of my math homework and it seems to be written in Chinese.
So I would at the moment understand as much as Chinese as I usually understand math. Really nothing.But it was relly interesting (I didn't know that about the Chinese language before,but I still hope that math will become as easy explained like you did it with the Chinese language!).
And Latin was just an example for a 'death language'. It seems as death as the Kilrathi or Klingon language. Maybe a little less,'cause Latin was spoken and is in some ways still in use.But it makes no sense for me to learn a film language.

Manjana, do not be so sure that translating ancient texts is no fun. You learn a lot about the time it was written and there are always some interesting anecdotes ( I have to defend Latin because it is my main subject in school :) )
But, well suum cuique...and I do hate maths as well.
BTW I do not think that anyone wants to make the claim that learning a film/game language is sensible... fun perhaps but in every case senseless.

Yesn this thread has gone quite a way since I started it and my question has been answered (OK Loaf did not answer my last question but it is not very important).
So tell me, when is a thread closed? Do I have to do this because I started it or will it go on as long someone posts?

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

So tell me, when is a thread closed? Do I have to do this because I started it or will it go on as long someone posts?

I'm new here, but I already understood that if KrisV (Space Marshal, and administrator of some kind of the chat zone) doesn't like the way the thread is developing (e.g. SW vs. WC, drifting too much off WC universe...), HE HAS THE POWER TO CLOSE THE THREAD.
You can't do anything dear Mekt ;) so don't worry, even if your question is answered life (and the thread) can go on... LOL

Ok here is the deal for all of you newbie cadets out there. The Moderators (Earthworm and Quarto) or the Admins (who are CIC staff, anyone with a rank of Space Marshall) can choose to close a thread, if they feel that the thread is violating a rule in the rules section, or is progessing in a maner that will lead to flames/general ill will among zoners. They do GERERALLY express lots of self control because as you see many threads are given fair warning to clean up their act before they are closed, yet many people (including myself on a few occasions) fail to heed to those warnings like don't get involved in any universe vs universe thread which is explicetly forbiden in rule 3. Ok now do all of you cadets realize that is not just Kris who can close a thread (even though he does do it more often than anybody else I know) and that they only close them when a thread violates a rule.

Thanks Napoleon!
You are as kind as Maniac when he takes the stinking plebe under his wings, for explaining it to us worthless cadets :D
I am happy that the terrible burden of closing the thread is not mine to bear...
(Me a Cadet, after I saved the Human race from annihilation by the Kilrathi and the Nephilim *g*)

Yea well I did the same thing, as I am sure we all have saved Confed from the Cats and Bugs :) Also I do not appreciate being insulted with such blatant Sarcasm. I was mearly explaining since many people seemed to be confused

You deserved that weak attempt at sarcasm. You were being quite obviously patronizing.

TC

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
( I have to defend Latin because it is my main subject in school :) )

I've always been surprised that it's still possible to be classically educated when it's becoming more and more irrelevant to everyday life. Not that there's anything wrong with learning more 'classical' subjects. I just think they should be subjects you did on the side purely out of interest.

"Oh how ignorant are the classically educated. Now wonder they do not appreciate their own time. They are not of it and do not understand it."
- Richard Feynman

at the first page everybody is serious, after that the real work starts. discussing it and than it can go anywhere.

It is a general problem of school, that the subjects and the books and the teachers (even everything) is too old.
It isn't actual any more. Take for example computer science: Our teacher is able to teach us in Turbo Pascal....but such interesting things like HTML or Java,or even C....he doesn't know them. And as I head a practical training some weeks ago they've send me a biology/sport teacher to control my work in a computer firm!(I had to write websites in HTML for the firm-Intranet). Fact is: in those two weeks I learned more than in two months in computer science at school!).I had better teachers, a better PC and it even made more fun. So please forget what you learn at school! You learn the foundation at school, but the interesting things of today, you have to teach yourself! But many people don't do it (even I do not want to do it every day) and so we have the problem that the firms don't find the good-educated workers they need. This will be a basic problem of the future!

Hey Napoleon, I did not want to be insulting. Actually it was quite kind of you to tell me how it works. So I apologize if you felt offended by my post. :eek:

And TC: It was no weak attempt, I just thought Napoleon acted on purpose like Maniac and I wanted to continue the game.

Appology accepted and i appoligize if i missunderstood you.
Next the point in learning latin, is so that you can read the classics in their own language becuase alot is lost in the translation. Also being classically educated is better than anything else becuae being classically educated really means that you are tought all things from philosophy to math to science to history to literature, and the classical civilizations have given us a great plethora of philosophy math science history and literature so they are studied alot becuase the entire western culture is derived from the classical civilizations of greece and rome

Back