Is there a way?

Originally posted by Manic
In accordance with my wishes to keep the WC community peaceful, I am not going to dignify that with an answer.
What's amusing about that statement is that it is an answer.

Originally posted by LeHah
Unforgiven: The reason there is no real monopoly, is that there are far superior synthesizers than Roland. It's just that you and me can't afford Mackie's new HDR24/9S Recorder/Editor like David Arnold. :)
I'm a little out of it all right now, I'm more into playing guitar than keyboard at the moment. But back when I bought the E-96, which was 4 or 5 years ago, there was not a single synth that could even approximate Roland's piano sound.
And especially in the mid-range (meaning non mid-range price, but mid-range capabilities), there were no good alternatives.
My keyboard teacher from back then had a Roland E-28 and some top-notch brand-new Yamaha keyboard, and the E-28 sounded significantly better.
And besides, LCD screens set aside, at least at that time, Roland hadn't introduced anything new to their keyboards for years. Sure, some new samples and stuff, but their synths have used 32-bit sampling for years, and the only reason they didn't give the G-1000 32-bit sampling was because it would take away the most important reason of buying a synth instead of a keyboard.
And I'm not talking about E-series 'synths' because all E-series boards are keyboards, just half of 'em were called synths for some reason. My E-96 is an "Intelligent Keyboard" while the E-86 is an "Intelligent Synthesizer", but the E-86 can't do anything the E-96 can't, and neither have real Synthesizer capabilities.

Originally posted by ace
While the term "Overture" can be used, I find it to be too specific to be used in these circumstances.

By you saying "too specific", I assume you mean I am right.

While the WCM "Theme Music" is indeed named an overture, it's really rather pointless to name it as such since it (from my memory) introduces no proceeding thematic material.

You could argue, then, that all of John Williams's score to every film from TV's "Lost in Space" all the way up to "A.I." is the same way. The problem is is that is incorrect. The "Overture" is presented over and over (and over) during the movie score, producing something to lean back on dramaticly. Further thematic material, the entire damned score, is solid based on the Overture's foundation. If you removed it, you have a rather lame, random score with unconnected themes and little dramatic use.

While it makes sense to prepare the audience for the movie, it's reoccurence in fragments throughout the movie display it as a more important part than simply an overture.

I don't understand your point on this but I think you're trying to say that the Overture isn't the actual theme of the film?

Leitmotiv is a complicated compositional device that really has little to do with any of this, and could only really effectively be applied in a film or game in a purely musical setting.

Let's see: The Overture is the Confederation theme, then there's the love theme, the Pilgrim theme and the Kilrathi theme. That said, it's apparent Lietmotiv (thanks for the spelling correction) is used in the film. Since it has to do with the movie, which is what I was talking about, it has a lot to do with all of this.

The fact that you said that Leitmotiv pretty much only applies to film and game makes me lose respect for you, ace. You completely forgot not only much of Wagner's "Ring Cycle" (I think), but Grieg's "Peter Gynt" and my aforementioned "Peter and the Wolf" which are heavily Leitmotiv.

By you saying "too specific", I assume you mean I am right.

No...I mean that using the term overture as a replacement for theme music in this situation is probably too inaccurate.

You could argue, then, that all of John Williams's score to every film from TV's "Lost in Space" all the way up to "A.I." is the same way. The problem is is that is incorrect. The "Overture" is presented over and over (and over) during the movie score, producing something to lean back on dramaticly. Further thematic material, the entire damned score, is solid based on the Overture's foundation. If you removed it, you have a rather lame, random score with unconnected themes and little dramatic use.

Overtures are based upon the score for which they precede, not the other way around. This is my main argument for why the term overture is inaccurate in this case.

Let's see: The Overture is the Confederation theme, then there's the love theme, the Pilgrim theme and the Kilrathi theme. That said, it's apparent Lietmotiv (thanks for the spelling correction) is used in the film. Since it has to do with the movie, which is what I was talking about, it has a lot to do with all of this.

I can't really consider that to be leitmotiv. I will definitely agree that it fullfills the definition's requirement in that these themes do represent various things though. I just find leitmotiv too strong a word to use in this case. In my limited knowledge of movie and television scores I have to assume that themes representative of certain things are used all the time to help the audience identify musically with certain things. I don't really see how that can truly be stood next to the complexity of Wagnerian opera or Peter in the Wolf as you mentioned.

The fact that you said that Leitmotiv pretty much only applies to film and game makes me lose respect for you, ace. You completely forgot not only much of Wagner's "Ring Cycle" (I think), but Grieg's "Peter Gynt" and my aforementioned "Peter and the Wolf" which are heavily Leitmotiv.

Apparently I didn't make myself clear, so I apologize. I meant to say that leitmotiv, when used in film or games to a truly effective degree, can only exist in that medium in a truly musical setting. I of course respect the true developers of the device, Wagner, Berlioz and such, as the settings they used it in were far more suited towards it than computer games.

ah well no point in talking to people about the intro music since your all screwed up.............(looks around at post to see if there is something noticable)

Hey, Valor. Guess who's wrong? YOU! :D

"To answer your first question, I did not sample any real instruments or use any live players on WC3, though that's not the first time someone thought I did. The only sounds I used for the video scenes (all the game play was MIDI) were from the Kurzweil K2000 orchestral ROM set and a few from the Roland Sound Canvas. There was one particular solo trumpet patch in there that did sound pretty realistic in the mix." -George Oldziey.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Please stop talking about your dumb friend.

Sorry, it's just one of my weird ways of dealing with my new-found hatred for him, I won't mention him again unless asked.

Hey, Valor. Guess who's wrong? YOU! :D

"To answer your first question, I did not sample any real instruments or use any live players on WC3, though that's not the first time someone thought I did. The only sounds I used for the video scenes (all the game play was MIDI) were from the Kurzweil K2000 orchestral ROM set and a few from the Roland Sound Canvas. There was one particular solo trumpet patch in there that did sound pretty realistic in the mix." -George Oldziey.
Would it be wrong at this point for me to gloat?:rolleyes:

WAY over my head there.

And I thought I was a music fan! Actually, I'm more a collector of music, working on my Mozart collection. (9 sonatas, 2 trios, 3 symphonies, and 1 opera to go!)

Now, question is, do you have every specific performance you want?

Back