Is there a way?

Incorrect, Unforgiven.

A direct quote from Oldziey several months ago, via email:

"All the music from Wing 4 on, including all of WC Prophecy, was totally digital. I used several different samplers and synths for WCP to give it more of a realistic sound. We stopped using Sound Canvas and MT32 after WC3.

You should urge the Fatman to reorchestrate all that music using the latest technology. Actually, I reorchestrated all of WC 1 for WC Kilrathi Saga, which was basically Wing 1,2 3 in a box set."

Well, I was right about WC3 wasn't I? And Valor said the music from WC3-5 was real.
And what's he mean by real then anyway? Using samplers and synths etc. is no more 'real' to me than digitising MIDI's using synths. With real I thought he meant an actual symphony. That's what constitutes real to me.
And they used an MT-32 for WC3? No wonder my E-96 sounds better than the digitised parts in WC3.
And regardless if whatever technologies they used to reorchestrate KS, I still think it sounded better over the E-96. But that's probably because higher sample-&bitrate combined with no compression make it sound cleaner.

"Real" means he probably ha a sampling library of sounds. The gong used in WC:p sounds very, very sampled from the real thing.
He mattes the gong over the synth he's written. It's just a matter of getting a clear enough sound with the right notes.

In other words, the Gong is real, and the choir used is a heavily vamped sample of the real thing, made to match the music he wrote.

Originally posted by Valor NR
Listen to the other modern THEMES THERE BETTER!!!!!! Look it is synthitic music this WC1 stuff. Wc3-5 is real. you prefer listen to a reject of Wagner war music that Hitler Said sucks go ahead and use the patheitic music. But if you dont have your head up your ass you would use WC3-5

For some reason Valor you're starting to annoy me...

All Roland's synths use samples taken from 'the real thing'. In fact, Roland used to charge a few thousand(!) dollar for sample CD's for their early samplers. Now those very same samples come included in the G-800 and better keyboards (like the G-1000), and the G-800 itself costs less than the CD used to cost.
The G-800 is about F5500 (about $2000), and if memory serves, the sample CD used to cost F7000 (about $3000).
But then, Rolands real talents (besides obviously making great instruments) have always been with abusing a monopoly and making money. Why don't the DOJ investigate them?!?
Anyway, using 'real' samples is the very essence of any PCM synth, compared to an FM synth, like the old AdLib and Sound Blasters used to have, which tries to compute waveforms build up from combining sine waves to simulate an instrument (theoretically, that should sound better than PCM, but you'd need some serious hardware (more than now exists) to get the resolution needed for that in real time)

Theme music-The starting music from a movie,play etc

I was talking about the Opener. The theme to Wc3 is real. But the wc3 inflight is not for the most part. For the other ones they plain when with real music you can tell direct. I just find it really offenisive that people think keyboard music would be better than the opener to Wc3.

Once more, with real, do you mean it was placed by a real orchestra. If that is the case, then I was probably mistaken, and it would've been blamed on not having played WC3 for a while.
Just have to get through SM1, SM2, WC2, SO1 and SO2 before I'll play it again. I'll pay attention to it that time.

Ok, Valor, lets get this straight. All of the music from WC3 was synth. There was no sampling, there was no orchestra, there was no real people playing classical instruments. It's George Oldziey, sitting in his old Origin office, playing his keyboards.

Theme music can mean many things. When you say "Theme Music" I think of the Lietmotif style, where every character in the story have their own musical accompaniment. Songs like "Peter and the Wolf" and more recent people like John Williams are a classic example of this style.

The correct term, Valor, is "Overture" which is what the opening of the WC Movie is. Hell, it's even the song's name.

Oldziey composed music for WC3-5 but didn't have character specific cues in it.

Unforgiven: The reason there is no real monopoly, is that there are far superior synthesizers than Roland. It's just that you and me can't afford Mackie's new HDR24/9S Recorder/Editor like David Arnold. :)

Ok lets see here the begining scene in WC3 where they show the logo of what game it is and stuff. Now that was real music because you can tell from the obie. Now clean out your ears and listen to it once more ok

Although this debate is quite interesting, I desperately need a response. Has anyone made an extractor for WCKS?

Ok lets see here the begining scene in WC3 where they show the logo of what game it is and stuff. Now that was real music because you can tell from the obie. Now clean out your ears and listen to it once more ok

Are you on Crack or is your natural condition ?

If you're going to talk about an instrument, call it by it's proper name, you musically-uninclined heathen. It's an Oboe. My uncle plays one. I know the sound of a genuine instrument.

The opening credits are synth. They have always been synth. You have a tin ear. I suggest going to your school's band conductor and ask him what an oboe sounds like because you're so far off, it's making me want to retch. :mad:

Wait, too late...

*points* HAHA!
At any rate... perhaps I could track down fatman's album, and(of course) ask permission from him to use it in-game... It truly would be perfect for the opening screen...

Fatman's WC1 album isn't out yet, so don't bother looking.

If you want to ask him about using it (which I'm sure will be a hugely resounding NO) he has a website.

In accordance with my wishes to keep the WC community peaceful, I am not going to dignify that with an answer.

Originally posted by LeHah

Theme music can mean many things. When you say "Theme Music" I think of the Lietmotif style, where every character in the story have their own musical accompaniment. Songs like "Peter and the Wolf" and more recent people like John Williams are a classic example of this style.

The correct term, Valor, is "Overture" which is what the opening of the WC Movie is. Hell, it's even the song's name.

Oldziey composed music for WC3-5 but didn't have character specific cues in it.

Just to throw my opinion in here the term "Theme Music" would most likely be the most appropriate term to describe what is being discussed here. While the term does bear many meanings it's a very commonly understood term with the general impression of it being "a song which occurs several times, or bears significant meaning to a musical play or film" as said by the Oxford Dictionary of Music.

While the term "Overture" can be used, I find it to be too specific to be used in these circumstances. While the WCM "Theme Music" is indeed named an overture, it's really rather pointless to name it as such since it (from my memory) introduces no proceeding thematic material. While it makes sense to prepare the audience for the movie, it's reoccurence in fragments throughout the movie display it as a more important part than simply an overture.

Leitmotiv is a complicated compositional device that really has little to do with any of this, and could only really effectively be applied in a film or game in a purely musical setting.

Back