Is EA really dropping support for WC?

zero0w

Spaceman
Lately I caught the news at CIC that a company called Raylight is making space flight sim game named "Star Giant" for GBA. The screenshots look good! I wonder if EA (I guess many origin staff got fired already so it's up to EA to pick up the job...) would (or should) truly give up making (sales) promising title such as WC on PC or on console/handheld platform such as GBA.

Really bad decision should they continue to give up.
Click here to check the Star Giant screenshots, or you can go check CIC January 2002 news archive.

I'm not quite sure I follow what you're saying, except that the GBA game has nice looking screens.

With regards to EA...
EA has not said a single thing to even hint that they're coming out with a new Wing Commander and/or Privateer game at any point in the future. Its a pretty good guess that if they thought they could make a pile of cash off of it, they would do so, but since space combat sims haven't made any big waves lately, I wouldn't get my hopes up for a bit.
Freelancer is the next 'big' title out, and while we're hoping it somehow revives the industry, I doubt too many people here are getting their hopes up (Possible great irony - Freelancer does well, and DA hypes the connection with CR. EA decides to release a new WC game and hypes the connection with CR. Unlikely, but it would be amusing.).
EA continues to keep its general FAQ pages up for the WC games, along with its absolutely ancient Origin website (that even predates Prophecy), but this is probably more due to the minimal maintenance requirements than anything else. If the whole thing were to suddenly crash, I doubt you'd ever see the sites again.

I was told that Wing Commander series were discontinued by Origin/EA, but I wasn't sure if there's an official announcement or it's just that EA let the series "fade away" silently - in a low profile without attracting any notice.

Yeah, Freelancer will be a good game I believe, yet I still like the story driven missions portrayed by WC series. Shall Freelancer come out soon we'll see if it's up to what Privateer strives to achieve.

Although Freelancer is the new big title, i doubt it will boost the industry. I've had its prequel, Starlancer, since it came out, and everyone i know except my brother and my cousin have never even heard of it, i think its quite possible Freelancer will be the same, where it is one the best games out there, but was not well advertised.

Originally posted by WingZero
Although Freelancer is the new big title, i doubt it will boost the industry. I've had its prequel, Starlancer, since it came out, and everyone i know except my brother and my cousin have never even heard of it, i think its quite possible Freelancer will be the same, where it is one the best games out there, but was not well advertised.

Heh.
With the exception of Independence War 2 (which uses a completely different physics model), it'll be the ONLY game out there.
On the positive side, they have Microsoft behind them, and Microsoft can exert a lot of muscle when it feels like it. On the negative side, Microsoft was also behind them on Freelancer. Microsoft also was the distributor for Allegiance, which fell horribly flat (although I heard part of the reason for that was Allegiance was used as a test bed for a new version of Direct X).
Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot to get my hopes up about.
Curiously, while I don't recall much Freelancer advertising for the PC, the local EB used to have a playstation demo for it running all the time whenever I stopped by.

"sigh"
i guess the hype now iss on FPS not space sims, maybe a fps based wing commander game, oh yeah, that would take all the flying essence out. too bad, i would really like to storm a Nephilum ship...

FPS vs. Space-Sim WC...

It's a fair observation to say the current game developing companies resources are being poured into FPS's and RTS games... and as much as I would love to see another great Story Driven WC SPACE-SIM game.... I wonder if a forray into a different genre of game for the WC Series is something that would be a more plausible option for EA ("Armada" excepted).... I dunno... I just think that such an interesting (and at times ENTHRALLING) universe as WC deserves to be fleshed out as much as possible.... I was playing through WC2 and when Paladin first came came back on board the Concordia talking about being in Special Ops, involved in the rebellion and defection of a Kilrathi colony to the Confederation... the first thing to pop into my mind was "Damn, that would be so much fun to play through"... I don't know if a scenario like that would be suited for a FPS or another game genre... but it shows that there are many possible ways one can "make a difference" in the WC universe.... not simply jumping in the cockpit (although that's damn entertaining :D )

-Fushichou

Originally posted by WingZero
Although Freelancer is the new big title, i doubt it will boost the industry.
I seriously doubt the 'industry' needs a boost. Especially with 3 new consoles out on the market. Games are selling like pr0n these days.
i think its quite possible Freelancer will be the same, where it is one the best games out there, but was not well advertised.
Advertisements don't help game sales nearly as much as years of hype. Freelancer will suck, just like its spiritual cousin Daikatana did, and nobody will keep it for long after they buy it.
Originally posted by junior
Curiously, while I don't recall much Freelancer advertising for the PC, the local EB used to have a playstation demo for it running all the time whenever I stopped by.
Yeah, no they didn't.
Originally posted by dacis2
too bad, i would really like to storm a Nephilum ship...
There's no such thing as Nephilum.
Originally posted by Fushichou
but it shows that there are many possible ways one can "make a difference" in the WC universe.... not simply jumping in the cockpit
Yeah, Wing Commander is a space-combat game. Contrary to the questionable wisdom of all the bandwagoneers, not every have has to be a subscription multiplayer RPG, an FPS, or Tony Hawk's Pro Skater to be successful.

Furthermore, what's all this talk about WC's story all the time? You people act like A: It's the best and coolest story out there, and B: It's the only good part of WC. Yeah... well Wing Commander has fighting and explosions and cool shit like that. Also, it's generally on the bleeding edge of current technology as far as audiovisual stuff goes. WC has a lot more going for it than its backstory and plot arc, which when compared to quite a few other games out there, is pretty weak.

Personally, not a day goes by that I don't wish a new WC would be announced, but at the same time, I don't pretend that it was the pinnacle of intelligent story development. It's a cool space game that's better than X-Wing and Freespace.

The Playstation couldnt handle Freelancer. It would blow up.

Originally posted by Frosty

I seriously doubt the 'industry' needs a boost. Especially with 3 new consoles out on the market. Games are selling like pr0n these days.

Depends on which industry you're referring to. I'm referring to the 'Space Combat Sim Game' industry, while I would guess that you're referring to the overall 'Videogame Industry' of which space combat sims are a small part.

Originally posted by Zor Prime

The Playstation couldnt handle Freelancer. It would blow up.
Doh...
Did I say Freelancer? I meant to say StarLancer. The local EB used to have a Playstation demo running on one of their screens down there. Don't recall if it was a video tape of in-game play, or a disc in an actual PSX that did the same thing.

Edit: Don't forget the close quote script...

Doh...
Did I say Freelancer? I meant to say StarLancer. The local EB used to have a Playstation demo running on one of their screens down there. Don't recall if it was a video tape of in-game play, or a disc in an actual PSX that did the same thing.

Edit: Don't forget the close quote script...

I think you mean the Dreamcast by sega.

Playstation had the WC games.

Originally posted by mpanty
And I thought you guys didn't care about spelling mistakes...

Read.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
I seriously doubt that spelling and grammatical errors are that big a problem for anyone who visits this board. Sure, they may not help you to look very intelligent, but that's really not my problem.

First of all, I never said anything about Frosty. I don't speak for him and you shouldn't assume that I do. Second of all, it never hurts to help someone learn how to spell a word like "Nephilim" correctly. While, most people may not care about spelling, some like to help people get it right. Finally, stop trying to start fights. It's getting disruptive and you obviously cannot win.

Originally posted by mpanty

And I thought you guys didn't care about spelling mistakes...

I don't generally care about spelling mistakes -- but the 'adding a u to Nephilim' one bugs me... I mean, why the hell does it happen, anyway? It's not pronounced with a 'u'... it's never spelled with a 'u'... why does everybody add a 'u'?

Back