Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Rapier II

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • Broadsword

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Sabre

Votes: 18 27.7%

• Total voters
The Broadsword's only real drawback is that it is utterly helpless against faster craft that posses long-range guns, if the AI could handle them at all decently. Drakhri and Strakha especially would be able to remain outside of the range of the Broadsword's mass drivers and turrets while still being able to shoot it.

In theory, yes. However from my experience (in Armada) even real People never mention to stay out of the range of a bomber. And once they are too close its often bye bye.

I actually never liked flying the Rapier in WingII, even though it's my favorite fighter by far in terms of looks. It's odd, because on paper it seems great - good speed, decent protection and a powerful punch - but in practice I never could get it to work. The cockpit visibility was far inferior to every other ship other than the Broadsword, and it didn't have the latter's incredibly high shields and armor. The guns ran out of power too fast. In fact, I had a greater success rate in the Epee, since even though it was far less well protected it was also more maneuverable and better able to disengage.

I know this all about personal preferences but the Rapier II should be exactly as manoeuverable as the Epee: 10 dps.

In theory, yes. However from my experience (in Armada) even real People never mention to stay out of the range of a bomber. And once they are too close its often bye bye.

From my experience however, in no other game was gun range as important as in Aramda when playing against the PC. That's why I had so problems flying the Kor-Larh.

Christ! Somebody actually likes the sabre? I always got dead before i managed to do some fancy flying. Two missiles and you're down... How do you people actually manage to use that thing?

Finally someone who feels the same way I do. That thing is supposed to be a heavy fighter? Jeebus, one hit: shields down, two hits: armor gone, three hits: DEAD! That thing sucks. Please tell me it was mothballed after the Battle of Earth. I'd feel safer in a damn Talon, I hate it so much!

To answer the question: Ferret. Don't understand why everyone likes the Super Ferret so much as its pretty much the same thing. The missiles barely do any damage and I find myself wasting time trying to fire them. JUST USE THE MASS DRIVERS! Plus its small enough to dodge through enemy fire. I'll take speed and movement any day.

Second: Thats tough... I never really liked many of the others... I do like that the Broadsword is soooo tough to kill, and with all her turrets, you have little to worry about... however, trying to engage a target at long range is intolerably slow going!

The Rapier II was a notable fighter. Fast, nimble, and tough. (and I like laser cannons). However, that being said, the moment her shields fell, you were as good as dead. (not that it ever happened to me ;) )

The Morningstar was a good fighter... but I derived no thrill from flying it. I'm sorry but it seemed somewhat broken, over powered, armored and fast. Don't get me wrong I like super ships as much as the next guy, but there is such a thing as feeling a little too safe. I fly, I want thrill! Also, if you don't know how to use the Mace missile, DITCH THE DAMN THING IMMEDIATELY!!

The Crossbow... an underpowered version of the Broadsword... only one turret. I like the forward payload, but its WAY to underarmored to NOT have afterburners.

Epee... just no. This fighter stinks! The shields and armor are almost as bad as the saber (almost). I can almost never complete a mission with this thing... and if I do, the fighter is usually falling apart.

I know this all about personal preferences but the Rapier II should be exactly as manoeuverable as the Epee: 10 dps.

I'm not just talking about turn rate; I mean speed as well. The Epee is twenty klicks faster than the Rapier; that doesn't sound like much but for me it's meant the difference between life and success or failure (and death). It's about being able to pull away from the killing zone and into a perfect firing position on a bandit, and that relies as much as speed as it does on turn rate.

Besides, the Rapier just *isn't* built for a close-range knife-fight, any more than the Epee is. Its punch is tailored for long-range sniping, and its protection isn't suited for melee; it's even reflected in its name. The difference between it and the Epee is that the Epee very quickly reminds you when you're using it improperly (usually by killing you very quickly); the Rapier may be more forgiving in the long run, but that can be deceptive. A Rapier can kill you just as surely as an Epee will; the difference is that the death comes later, when you're damaged and battle-fatigued.

That, and I fly WingII using the mouse. Probably my experiences are unique from the majority of joystick jocks.

That, and I fly WingII using the mouse. Probably my experiences are unique from the majority of joystick jocks.
I don't know... Joystick or mouse I've *never* liked the rapier in WC2 other than it's looks. I'd rather fly a ferret. Admitidly I do fly with a mouse more often than not, but I wouldn't say that hinders my performance one bit. I think part of the Rapiers faults are that it's guns recharge to slowly for the kind of fighter it's supposed to be.

I'm not just talking about turn rate; I mean speed as well. The Epee is twenty klicks faster than the Rapier; that doesn't sound like much but for me it's meant the difference between life and success or failure (and death). It's about being able to pull away from the killing zone and into a perfect firing position on a bandit, and that relies as much as speed as it does on turn rate.

Besides, the Rapier just *isn't* built for a close-range knife-fight, any more than the Epee is. Its punch is tailored for long-range sniping, and its protection isn't suited for melee; it's even reflected in its name. The difference between it and the Epee is that the Epee very quickly reminds you when you're using it improperly (usually by killing you very quickly); the Rapier may be more forgiving in the long run, but that can be deceptive. A Rapier can kill you just as surely as an Epee will; the difference is that the death comes later, when you're damaged and battle-fatigued.

The Epee is even 30 kps faster than the Rapier II. ;) But I agree with you, the Rapier is good for long range shooting - great against Grikath in my experience, if you stay out of range.
Normally I'd agree that 20 or 30 kps faster make a big difference but since the WC2 Kilrathi ships had a maximum speed of 400, most slower, it didn't seem so important to me, 450 was more than sufficient. For me, the Rapier II had the perfect blend of speed, manoeuvrability, defence and offence. More than the Epee, which traded for 30 kps much protection and offensive punch.

I'll have to go for the Rapier... Fell in love with that ship since WC1, so I guess the Rapier II already had a big bonus in WC2. "An elegant weapon for a more civilized age." :D

It's a tough question, though, since I grew fond of every single fighter in WC2 - each one has its strengths and weaknesses. Take the Broadsword: I usually prefer nimble fighters, and that sluggish bomber was a royal pain in the ass on more than one incident. But believe it or not, somehow I really came to like that ship!
Maybe because it makes you feel like sitting in some sort of "Winnebago in space." :p

The Epee is even 30 kps faster than the Rapier II. ;) But I agree with you, the Rapier is good for long range shooting - great against Grikath in my experience, if you stay out of range.
Normally I'd agree that 20 or 30 kps faster make a big difference but since the WC2 Kilrathi ships had a maximum speed of 400, most slower, it didn't seem so important to me, 450 was more than sufficient. For me, the Rapier II had the perfect blend of speed, manoeuvrability, defence and offence. More than the Epee, which traded for 30 kps much protection and offensive punch.

The Epee to me was only effective as a hit-and-run fighter. I was never able to use any other strategy with this one with a hope of success.

I would move in to the fray quickly, Launch all missiles, strafe a target, and get out to give my shields a chance to recharge, then repeat :p. But it was barely effective at this task. In another thread they were saying that this fighter was inappropriately armed with particle cannons. Thats something I happen to agree with, but I don't agree that it would have been better if armed with mass drivers. This is one fighter that I think would have been much improved upon if equipped with Neutron guns. They pack the hardest punch, which is the kind of gun you want if you use hit-and-run tactics.

Yeah: quickly in with blazing guns and quickly out. That's the way to do it with the Epee. But I think it worked not too bad. As long as there weren't any Flak cannons, I found the Epee to be quite effective.

And while I like the Neutron Gun from a personal point of view (it had character), I think the Particle is far superior and therefor better on the Epee: it has longer range and higher refire rate and a good punch: exactly what I need: you can start your attack run from long range and can deliver heavy hits in a short order of time.

The Crossbow... an underpowered version of the Broadsword... only one turret. I like the forward payload, but its WAY to underarmored to NOT have afterburners.

The Crossbow has the same armor and shields as the Broadsword--it just feels weaker because you are going up against Gothris and Sabres instead of the usual Jalkethis and Grikaths that you normally fight in a Broadsword.

Yeah, it actually has more armor and more guns. It's a beefed up and faster Broadsword that pretty much just takes out the side turrets.

Yeah, it actually has more armor and more guns. It's a beefed up and faster Broadsword that pretty much just takes out the side turrets.

How do their capacitors compare? I recall the Crossbow's guns being obnoxious energy hogs, so I usually stuck with just the mass drivers.

Just a thought while browsing this thread - the Crossbow is actually much, much less massive than the Broadsword - 40 tonnes to 100 tonnes. If it were an actual military aircraft, that alone would be enough of an incredible improvement in statistics...

Also, as a side thought to all this talk about the Epees and everyones elaborate theories as to how to fly them correctly... the Epee is only usable in six missions in all of WC, and just three in WC2. It's amazing that everyone has spent so much time developing thoughts on it.

He, seems like the Epee missions stuck. :)

But actually, I used the Epee quite a lot in Academy.

I actually just bought a sealed copy of Academy off Ebay. I lost mine long ago and thought it was a good time to replace it. Now I just need to find a WC1 Deluxe. I found one, but it was on floppies and my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive.

Congratulations then.

Now that I think of it, Academy not only had an excellent manual, I think I had much more fun with it than I remembered at first. I remember know that I build some sort of campaign. Great times!

Incidentally, are there any CD versions of Wing Commander Academy?

Sweet, thanks.

Just after I read that, I checked ebay and bam!, got me WC Academy on CD. At 20 € it's rather pricey but apparently it's still sealed and now I should have all the WC games on CD.

Back