I must know....

Blair's death reminds me of the death of Aeris - he died doing what he had to do for the people he was fighting for. At least he didn't die in the middle of watching TV or tilling his farm. He died in battle, in the line of duty, where I personally think he should have died. Seems fitting, the way he wanted to die.

Originally posted by Saturnyne
Blair's death reminds me of the death of Aeris - he died doing what he had to do for the people he was fighting for. At least he didn't die in the middle of watching TV or tilling his farm. He died in battle, in the line of duty, where I personally think he should have died. Seems fitting, the way he wanted to die.

I thought talkin about "Blair's Death" was against the rules. :)

My 2 cents, if any of you care, is not that IF Blair died, but in the fashion in which he apparently did.

I'm with LeHah; I thought that the ending to WCP, concerning Blair's death, had a very "canned" and overdone feel to it. I was diappointed with it when I first saw it, disappointed with the fact that Blair's death seemed so corny . But I also knew that that was the way it ended, like it or not.
Personally, I don't like to think that Blair's dead, primarily because I don't want to believe that the writers would allow Blair to succumb in such an unimaginative, somewhat cowardly way.
I'm not trying to say that LOAF, or anybody else that read the novels and put together all of the "Blair's conscience" puzzle-pieces are wrong, it's just how I felt when I saw the cutscene.

In my book Blair gave his life in the service and defense of mankind (the only way he could go out).

The way he went out is (as we can tell form the post) a very volitile subject. The thing is as soon as video games began to construct stories for thier main characters, they became something else. They becamed a part of literature. There are a few ways in which a story can proceed in literature, but the most prolific are the feel-good, fairy-tale 'everyone is happy and better off in the end' story and (my personal favorite), the greek tragedy. The WC seiries is following the model of a Greek tragedy. borrowing from Sadics (read it by the way, it's a very good analysis) post borrowed from Loaf, think about the steps and then think about greek tradegy writings like the Iliad and Romeo and Juliet (by Shakespeare, but still a greek tragedy). New guy, proves himself in battle, suffers a major setback, proves himself once again, main character in a glorius battle, rakes up huge anounts of emotional baggage along the way, finally decides that he can't live in a normal way any longer (he's seen too much, been through too many horrid situations, can't live with his demons), etc etc etc. the best stories by far are the greek tragedies because you grow emotionally attached to the characters. That is one thing that has struck me as I've been reading this thread. Almost everyone here went through the Kubler-Ross stages of grief cycle in reactance to blairs death (not a by the numbers science, but practical none the less). Denial, anger, helplessness, acceptance, etc etc have all been seen on this board. (I too went through these, but now I must agree with Sadic and Loaf about the reasons for blairs death).

in the end, WC is a greek tragedy that has come full circle (with Casey carrying the torch now) and has attracted a loyal following because of its story.

(good lord you could write a thesis on the similarities of WC with a greek tragedy or the emotional attachment people feel for those involved in one . . . hint hint to all those psychology and literature students out there :) )

I thought Origin would've revive Blair back leading the Border Worlders to fight the Nephilem and their allies in an unmade Prophecy-sequel.

And tehn the DETH STAAR would come and fite the buggs and theyd unleesh a whol big batle aginst ech other! But the Rebels would show up and R0X0R THM ALL WIT THEIR METAPHASICAL SHEILDING! BOO-YA! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by LeHah
And tehn the DETH STAAR would come and fite the buggs and theyd unleesh a whol big batle aginst ech other! But the Rebels would show up and R0X0R THM ALL WIT THEIR METAPHASICAL SHEILDING! BOO-YA! :rolleyes:
Have you been watching too much "He-man" again?
Originally posted by TheFraix
I thought Origin would've revive Blair back leading the Border Worlders to fight the Nephilem and their allies in an unmade Prophecy-sequel.
My impression of the end of WCP was that the writer(s) wanted to leave Blair's death a question mark. They could have shown him dying (e.g. Angel in WC3 or Blair in the losing path of WC3/4) but instead left it open to interpretation. It would be interesting to know if they wrote the end of WCP with the intent of bringing him back in a sequel or just wanted the option to do so.

Originally posted by LeHah

That was weak, Chief

Originally posted by Saturnyne
heh... maybe they should dedicate part of the CIC to some kind of coalition.

If there were such an assembly, I'm sure I'd be on the receiving end of their jibes once again. :(

I'll Create a Spark

Well, if'n you don't mind more of a topic deviation :p

I just had the worst night of my life. Victoria broke up with me tonight. Apparently she hasn't been feeling the same way/the distance it too hard/we have separate goals.

In order to solve the problem the Maniac way, I simply post

Normally that would hurt but I'm too shallow to care!

(really, i'm not. I in quite a lot of emotional pain)

Thanks, guys, for putting up with this post.

How 'bout them Mets??

Sorry Col. Dom,

Let me guess, everything seemed pretty fine or it was rocky and then it was starting to look up when she let you have it? I told myself I'd never get involved with another woman who kept stuff all pent up inside after I got really burnt one time, but here I am in the same situation. I'm with someone who really doesn't know how to express herself. I'd rather have her like she was when we first met, when she would tell me anything and everything. Now it seems like shes walking on eggshells around me. From this little line of events, I'm just kindof waiting for the hammer to drop.

Back