How's your lovelife: Flint or Rachel?

Well, depends, blair knew the stealth fighters were real, and with the skills at his disposal "The terran pilot who caused so much trouble"

He knew they were real back when he was on the claw, and failed to handle them when they flew directly past him.

I don't know about the novelisation, but sparks could have called security when he asked her to refit his sabre with torpedoes.

Maverick and Sparks have the same problem: they only know their little cog assignments. They don't see the bigger picture of the war, much less that operation. Tolwyn does. More importantly, Sparks' job is specifically to do what pilots say. And of course...

she said he "was in the clear on the Tiger's claw" early in the game. She let him fight his lost battle once more.

...this isn't her personal viewpoint. Angel vouched for his credibility and that was all it took for Sparks. She says as much right after saying she believes him. So given her orders are to listen to the pilots, and she has an opinion of Blair that is based solely on Angel saying he's okay, I don't think Sparks is a good reference for Blair's competance or as a justification for his actions. In fact, this is the same crew who passed Jazz as he was setting his weekly bomb on the flight deck, and wished him luck on his mission to defect to the Kilrathi.

Thrakhath knew at moments notice who the pilot was on the single fighter that was approaching, it was personal(not to mention honorable, having the imperial guard hold back, and come out to duel himself). I think i'd choose thesame path, victory or death, If i spent years living in shame, accused of being a traitor, and being ridiculed, I'd put my life on the line to prove myself to others. The coward of 'Mang became the heart of the tiger.

Of course. That's the whole point of the plot of Wing Commander 2. We're showed that Tolwyn is a moron and hates Blair with a passion over and over and over and over and over... so that at the end of the game, we're not thinking "Oh, I should fly the patrol. It's my mission." We're thinking "Tolwyn?! *&#@ him! He couldn't find his own fleet!"

And naturally, when you get back, Tolwyn thinks you're the best thing since sliced bread.

Yes, I've thought about this as well... my take on thier relationship is this: They broke up because the reappearance of Bossman shook things up. Now I don't know about anyone else, but I find it undesirable to stay in contact with my exs. If we have to serve together, I'd be requesting a transfer.
At that point she was under no obligation to stand by him during the trial, though as you said, she did defend him publicly.

I'm not sure what Bossman would really change about their relationship... but it's a story that someone else can tell sometime.

I agree with you that Angel and Blair's relationship may not have been well founded, and during war time isn't the best time to start a relationship. What do we make of Angel's refusal to support Blair over Tolwyn? I don't think she really refused to support him. It did seem like she was trying to organize a transfer for him to the Concordia... As we all know, Tolwyn can be a tough man to get along with.

I think that people did need relationships during this particular war... since it lasted for more than a generation. :) If everyone stopped having babies in 2634 then there wouldn't be any young men to die on Kilrathi beacheads at the end.

As for accepting stealth fighters were real or not... I don't know how much she believed or didn't believe, but I do think that her hands were tied and there was no way Tolwyn was going to listen to that sort of "ridiculous claim."

There's a scene where Blair confronts her about this, after she doesn't accept his report of fighting stealths on a solo mission.

Which orders of Angel's did he ignore exactly? Are you referring to the final mission where Blair duels Thrakath and takes out 'Mang? If so, I just finished playing Wing Commander 2, and honestly the order to patrol rather than attack seemed more like a direct order from the Admiral. "Non, the Admiral wants you to fly this patrol." As for winning the Glory, well who wouldn't? Show me someone who tried to do something ten years ago, failed, and was disgraced for it, and then given a second chance? Who wouldn't take a shot at redemption?

I know if it were me, I'd be like, "No one else is going to be sacrificed for mistakes made ten years ago. Seeing the end of that base is my responsability and I'll see it through.

Yes, but the thing Blair tried and failed to do eleven years earlier wasn't destroy the space station... it was flying the patrol mission. :)

As for the kiss with Grimaldi, come on now, she surprised him with that, and I don't know how I would handle it either, for the sake of maintaining piece, I might just shut up about it and hope she gets transferred off soon.

I always thought the cut after the Minx-kiss was somewhat suggestive - we close at "Then don't say anything, Christopher..." and then cut to seeing her again after at least a mission has passed saying "Hey, handsome!"

Well, depends, blair knew the stealth fighters were real, and with the skills at his disposal "The terran pilot who caused so much trouble", I don't know about the novelisation, but sparks could have called security when he asked her to refit his sabre with torpedoes. she said he "was in the clear on the Tiger's claw" early in the game. She let him fight his lost battle once more.

Everyone knew the stealth fighters were real at this point - remember, K'Tithrak Mang 4 didn't vindicate Blair... his shooting down Jazz and locating his lost flight recorder disk eight days earlier did.

Blair was Sparks' superior officer, she had to follow his orders regarding the loadout.

-on a side note, this was the keyword to trigger hobbes peronality, would thrakhath already given him such a noble nickname when he instructed hobbes at the end of the secret missions?-

Yes, Blair was given the name immediately after The Secret Missions - Thrakhath sent him a personal message in 2655, vowing to avenge his father, which revealed that he was the 'Heart of the Tiger'.

Of course. That's the whole point of the plot of Wing Commander 2. We're showed that Tolwyn is a moron and hates Blair with a passion over and over and over and over and over... so that at the end of the game, we're not thinking "Oh, I should fly the patrol. It's my mission." We're thinking "Tolwyn?! *&#@ him! He couldn't find his own fleet!"

I think Wing Commmander II is actually remarkably fair to Tolwyn - it limits the conflict to being between him and Blair, and when it comes down to the wire no one *ever* sides with Blair. Angel, Sparks even Paladin defend their Captain when Blair complains about him.

Well... Choose Rachel I did, married I am, but...
I never thought of Rachel being "flirtous".
To me **she** was more stable, more reliable, more understanding...

I picked Rachel. Flint seemed kind of whiny and unreliable, and Rachel was cuter anyway.

And I am now happily married. To someone who, to me, embodies the best characteristics of both.

Which girl you choose does not have much consequence on the game play, therefore it does not really matter that much. I think I used to choose Flint, why?
I liked her background story and the dialogues between her and Blair, much more than I liked the dialogues that Blair had with Rachel, which I found a little boring.

-- SPOILERS- -

Anyway, correct me if I am wrong but the only consequence is that:

1. If you choose Flint:
a. You may ditch her from the flight rooster, and she get really pissed - - - quite funny, indeed.
b. She may die, and Blair is alone in the shuttle at the end scene.
c. She survives and she goes back to earth with Blair
d. Rachel gets pissed and does not want to fix you load out.

2. If you choose Rachel:
a. She is with Blair at the end scene instead of Flint.
b. Flint get pissed and gives up flying and probably commits suicide while Blair does the T-bomb Run; unless you talk with her in the elevator and give her a moral boost, which will keep her alive and flying.

And just as you know it, this is not my first post. I used the acoount Fenrisulven before, but has changed email, and created a new account...

Which girl you choose does not have much consequence on the game play, therefore it does not really matter that much. I think I used to choose Flint, why?
I liked her background story and the dialogues between her and Blair, much more than I liked the dialogues that Blair had with Rachel, which I found a little boring.

-- SPOILERS- -

Anyway, correct me if I am wrong but the only consequence is that:

1. If you choose Flint:
a. You may ditch her from the flight rooster, and she get really pissed - - - quite funny, indeed.
b. She may die, and Blair is alone in the shuttle at the end scene.
c. She survives and she goes back to earth with Blair
d. Rachel gets pissed and does not want to fix you load out.

2. If you choose Rachel:
a. She is with Blair at the end scene instead of Flint.
b. Flint get pissed and gives up flying and probably commits suicide while Blair does the T-bomb Run; unless you talk with her in the elevator and give her a moral boost, which will keep her alive and flying.

And just as you know it, this is not my first post. I used the acoount Fenrisulven before, but has changed email, and created a new account...

I don't remember that... when and where do you get to ground her, and what does she say about it??

You do it MUCH earlier at the Laconda missions when she tries to go commit suicide via flying. It lowers morale, and nothing good comes of it.

I went with Flint usually. The reason she left Blair was because she wanted to keep flying wasn't it? That wouldn't be a concern for me, I'd still be up there.

I went with Flint usually. The reason she left Blair was because she wanted to keep flying wasn't it? That wouldn't be a concern for me, I'd still be up there.

I don't follow. The continuity has Blair get together with Rachel. She leaves him after he becomes a drunk after the war.

Oh, I was going by the early script. Here.

midgame: int. farmhouse - sunset -a1
Blair begins searching the room, overturning books, cushions, furniture.

Finally, he finds the source: a holo-comm device.
a flashing light reads "inbox - 1 message(s) unviewed."

from Blair's reaction, we can tell this doesn't happen too often. he punches a button.

NOTE: The following branches are dependent on the outcome of Wing Commander III. IF Blair did NOT choose either woman back then, go directly to "He hits the 'play' button" below.

CONDITION: Blair chose Flint in Wing Commander III:

a faint holographic image of flint appears, apparently mid-message.

flint
...and I was born to fly. I'm sorry. Life on a farm just isn't--

Blair curses under his breath and hits a button, "fast-forwarding" the image.
CONDITION: Blair chose Rachel in Wing Commander III:

a faint holographic image of rachel appears, apparently mid-message.

rachel
...and if you think I'm gonna spend the rest of my life down on the ground -- well, I'm sorry--

Blair curses under his breath and hits a button, "fast-forwarding" the image.

blair
Damn. Thought I erased that...

Yeah, that was dropped for a few reasons... the biggest probably being budget. We don't even see or hear of either flint or rachel in the game. It's only mentioned in the novel.

WC4 actually had a number of missions outlined where blair flew off of Nephele for the local militia or something but they all were dropped. The game is slow getting started as it is.

Attachments

• drunkskywalker.jpg
    drunkskywalker.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 384
Yeah, that was dropped for a few reasons... the biggest probably being budget. We don't even see or hear of either flint or rachel in the game. It's only mentioned in the novel.

That bit actually isn't from an early script - it's from the shooting script as published to Origin's website in 1997... it must have been something they dropped very late in the game (nothing was shot, mind you - so don't everybody get all excited...)

Back to either Flint or Rachel. I'd probably only hang with Rachel to get with her other "Hot Friends". I mean think about it Flint doesn't have any friends unless there some lawyers or some crap like that, or even worse.......Other Men as friends.... So yay Flamboyant as it may seem Rachel takes the cake. Althought I think Flint is more alluring.

I can see paralells with blairs life and my own. After my wife died...well i wished she was dead. ;) I slipped into a depression until I by chance met two completly different ladies at the same time. One was very outgowing, independant, understanding and had just come out of a bad relationship aswell. (Rachel?)
The secound was clingy, a hopless romantic and, overbearing (Flint?) and liked to stalk evan after making it clear it was over.
Eventually the stalker scared the hell out of girl #1 and tried to kill us landing herself in jail and scaring the "normal" girl away. Leading me back into the arms of my first love, the thrill of battle...eh playing wc addictivly.
I sometimes wonder if it would have worked out between myself and girl #2 and maybe in 6to 12 years I can find out. :s
In the novel Flint dies but what if you sent her back to base...or maybe it isn't meant to be. :(

It's hard because I actually wasn't totally interested in either girl. If however I really try to squeeze into my role playing shoes and imagine myself really being Blair at that time it would have been Flint.

I prefer someone who shares a lot of my own interests, that way if we start a conversation I won't be totally out of my depth. I don't really recall Blair having this problem, but I sure as heck would have talking to Rachel. In life I write so I had a partner who writes, in the game I fly why not have a partner who flies too? A girl who could correct my latest paragraph and bolster it with some words of her own if it was too sloppy, why not a girl who can watch my six and track my pod back home if I get shot up?

She might get shot down, but I might too. You can't predict that sort of thing, you can't hide from something just because you know it's going to hurt because the moments you'll have if you don't aren't worth trading for anything. :)

I was just thinking about this: they could've put in the script for Blair's relationships to work out, but he has to leave them for war... Rachael/Flint could've been assigned to a different carrier or not been drafted.

Blair doesn't really have any love interests in WC4 or Prophecy, so he might as well have had a picture of one of them as his wife/girlfriend in WC4. Even in Prophecy he could be on the same ship as Rachel.. except I think Rachel gets a little flirty with the player character? I haven't finished playing through Prophecy yet so I don't know for sure, but he could've at least been married to Flint throughout the remainder of the series. I would've preferred if the writers included that, it's pretty sad to have him end up alone and kidnapped by aliens.

Back