Holy Crappy Concordia Supercruiser Model Batman!

Originally posted by Viper61
I was actually just referring to the countries that can develop aircraft like the F-22, like russia with their new mig, all of europe with the eurojet project, our new F-38 JSF (which is actually a multi mission craft). I was just making a generalization that more specialized aircraft are rolling off the assembly lines and being developed than multi-role craft.
The Eurofighter (now known as Typhoon) is a multi-role fighter. The various countries making it don't have the resources to build specialized fighters - that's why they've teamed up, and development of the Typhoon has been slowed because its been tailored to fit so many requirements.
As you point out above the JSF is a multi-role plane. Meanwile Russia is primarily tailoring existing designs to fit a broader range of roles. So realistically only the US has the resources to design specialized craft and even it is concentrating on multi-role designs. Any statement that 1 purpose warplanes are becoming the norm, in any way, is patently false.

Originally posted by Preacher

Try this one on for size:

Suckage (suk-ij) n. Of, or referring to, the act, trait, quality or characteristic of sucking.

Ex. "That there Concordia model is possessed of abundant suckage":p

Waah! Nobody loves me! *runs off to nuke third world countries*

Originally posted by Penguin

The Eurofighter (now known as Typhoon) is a multi-role fighter. The various countries making it don't have the resources to build specialized fighters - that's why they've teamed up, and development of the Typhoon has been slowed because its been tailored to fit so many requirements.
As you point out above the JSF is a multi-role plane. Meanwile Russia is primarily tailoring existing designs to fit a broader range of roles. So realistically only the US has the resources to design specialized craft and even it is concentrating on multi-role designs. Any statement that 1 purpose warplanes are becoming the norm, in any way, is patently false.
While it is cheaper to build a multi-role fighter it is also a difficult thing to build a very good one. History is full of attempts at this that turned out as a jack-of-all trades and masters at none.

But thanks to the growing sophistication of detections systems and weapons, as well as improvements to all physical aspects of fighter technology, its becoming easier to develop successful multi-role fighters. The F-4, F-15 and F-16 are examples of high performance fighters succesfully tailored to meet other roles. There is no reason to believe that the next generation of multi-role fighters will not be able to handle their assigned tasks with flying colors.

I stand corrected, Penguin (I thought the Eurofighter was just an air superiority fighter). I'm just a big advocate of multi-role aircraft. I always say the more you specialize the more you limit yourself and it usually comes to a point that your limits outweigh your usefulness.

C-ya

no, that would have to be something akin to the power of the Dragon during WC4 era, add an AMG on the centerline, drop in vectored thrust for maneuverability, give it vectored thrust and overboosted engines so it can keep up with the light fighters, and make it all modular so it can be upgraded as needed.

Heh, heh, even modular designs have a weakness: I'm sure they'd all fall apart at the seams at the first plink of damage on the armour. :)

What isn't better than Freespace?

Oh, right, Holly Gagnier's acting career...

In some cases, I might rather have the bloody feces. At least I didn't rip anyone off to get em.

Originally posted by LeHah
In some cases, I might rather have the bloody feces. At least I didn't rip anyone off to get em.
I don't know which is more disturbing, the image of you ripping off someone else's bloody feces, or the image of you producing your own.

I think the original cover of "The White Album" (with the Beatles sitting around with decapitated doll heads and peices of meat) is more disturbing.

I could be wrong. But I coulda sworn it was the White Album for some reason. I remember seeing the damned thing years ago at the Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando.

I could be wrong. But I coulda sworn it was the White Album for some reason. I remember seeing the damned thing years ago at the Hard Rock Cafe in Orlando.

You don't have a conversation with Joe Garrity without learning all about his copy of the Butcher Cover. :)

It was Yesterday and Today. The beatles gave a really disturbing cover to it becuase they didn't even really like it's being released. It was compiled of tracks that hadn't made it in the U.S. versions of other albums. For some reason, many US beatles albums didn't have all the songs their european counterparts did. Since the beatles never actually recorded yesterday and today, they disliked it's being released-- hence the messy cover. After that, all beatles albums made it over seas unscathed.. including their original covers, as is the case with the plain white cover with serial number of the album "The Beatles," also called the White Album. Geesh. Anime, chess, and Beatles music:)

Back