Holy Crappy Concordia Supercruiser Model Batman!

Originally posted by Quarto
Tell that to the WC3 corvette
Well, aside from that particular one. Impressive turret positioning, if anything.

Originally posted by junior
Corvettes have their uses...
Uh huh, that's what I meant by 'price tag'. Your reasons are good, but it makes me think even more that corvettes don't belong in the combat missions we play in WC. Of course, it seems Confed saw the wisdom of this and hasn't fielded corvettes with carrier groups since WC1 - the enemy keeps putting them out giving us more ships to kill. :)

(Yes, I know Confed may have used corvettes in other campaigns outside the games.)

BTW, Dom, you seriously need to take your sedatives, or else you'll wind up worse than Bob. ;)

Originally posted by dacis2
hey! that's not bad! all you need is to remove the turrets and it's an aircraft carrier! that probably floats!
Actually, it looks more like the "Love Boat", only with turrets. Take off turrets, insert Doc, Gopher, Isaac & Julie, & there ya go.

BTW, verily it meseemeth that it doth sucketh most vigorously...

:D

Originally posted by Wedge009
Well, aside from that particular one. Impressive turret positioning, if anything.
Indeed. And you've just put your finger on the corvette's big advantage. Most WC3 capships have blind spots all over the place. The Corvette doesn't, and it makes us suffer. So, it's a matter of a good design.

(Yes, I know Confed may have used corvettes in other campaigns outside the games.)
Indeed they have. We read about them in End Run, being used for recon and pickets. Then we read about them in the WCP manual, where the TCS Brack quickly proves that a corvette with a few fighters does not make a good strike force :).

Actually, I bothered to do a bit of research in my off-time...

Dictionary.com
suck Pronunciation Key (súk)
v. sucked, suck·ing, sucks
v. tr.
To draw (liquid) into the mouth by movements of the tongue and lips that create suction.

To draw in by establishing a partial vacuum: a cleaning device that sucks up dirt.
To draw in by or as if by a current in a fluid.
To draw or pull as if by suction: teenagers who are sucked into a life of crime.
To draw nourishment through or from: suck a baby bottle.
To hold, moisten, or maneuver (a sweet, for example) in the mouth.
Vulgar Slang. To perform fellatio on.

v. intr.
To draw something in by or as if by suction: felt the drain starting to suck.
To draw nourishment; suckle.
To make a sound caused by suction.
Vulgar Slang. To be disgustingly disagreeable or offensive.

n.
The act or sound of sucking.
Suction.
Something drawn in by sucking.

Phrasal Verbs:
suck in
To take advantage of; cheat; swindle.
suck up Slang
To behave obsequiously; fawn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English suken, from Old English scan. See seu-2 in Indo-European Roots.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

suck

\Suck\, v. i. 1. To draw, or attempt to draw, something by suction, as with the mouth, or through a tube.

Where the bee sucks, there suck I. --Shak.

2. To draw milk from the breast or udder; as, a child, or the young of an animal, is first nourished by sucking.

3. To draw in; to imbibe; to partake.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

suck

\Suck\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Sucked; p. pr. & vb. n. Sucking.] [OE. suken, souken, AS. s?can, s?gan; akin to D. zuigen, G. saugen, OHG. s?gan, Icel. s?ga, sj?ga, Sw. suga, Dan. suge, L. sugere. Cf. Honeysuckle, Soak, Succulent, Suction.] 1. To draw, as a liquid, by the action of the mouth and tongue, which tends to produce a vacuum, and causes the liquid to rush in by atmospheric pressure; to draw, or apply force to, by exhausting the air.

2. To draw liquid from by the action of the mouth; as, to suck an orange; specifically, to draw milk from (the mother, the breast, etc.) with the mouth; as, the young of an animal sucks the mother, or dam; an infant sucks the breast.

3. To draw in, or imbibe, by any process resembles sucking; to inhale; to absorb; as, to suck in air; the roots of plants suck water from the ground.

4. To draw or drain.

Old ocean, sucked through the porous globe. --Thomson.

5. To draw in, as a whirlpool; to swallow up.

As waters are by whirlpools sucked and drawn. --Dryden.

To suck in, to draw into the mouth; to imbibe; to absorb.

To suck out, to draw out with the mouth; to empty by suction.

To suck up, to draw into the mouth; to draw up by suction or absorption.

suck

\Suck\, n. 1. The act of drawing with the mouth.

2. That which is drawn into the mouth by sucking; specifically, mikl drawn from the breast. --Shak.

3. A small draught. [Colloq.] --Massinger.

4. Juice; succulence. [Obs.]

suck

n : the act of sucking [syn: sucking, suction] v 1: take in liquid by sucking 2: draw something in by or as if by a vacuum; "Mud was sucking at her feet" [syn: draw in] 3: attract by using an inexorable force, inducement, etc.: the current sucked him in" [syn: suck in] 4: be able to take in, as of liquids; "The sponge absorbs water well" [syn: absorb, imbibe, soak up, sop up, suck up, draw, take in, take up] 5: of infants [syn: breastfeed, suckle, nurse, wet-nurse, lactate, give suck] [ant: bottlefeed]
Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

suck

suck: in CancerWEB's On-line Medical Dictionary

Source: On-line Medical Dictionary, © 1997-98 Academic Medical Publishing & CancerWEB

ADVERTISEMENT

Try your search for "suck" at:

Amazon.com - Shop for books, music and more
AskJeeves.com - Get the top 10 most popular sites
Electric Library - Search thousands of newspapers and magazines
Google - Search the Web for relevant results
Google Groups - Search Usenet messages back to 1981
Merriam-Webster - Search for definitions
Overture - Search the Web
Roget's Thesaurus - Search for synonyms and antonyms

...the corvette's big advantage... a matter of a good design.
Yeah, that seems to be one ship the Kilrathi did well with. Still...

My cousin was fiddling with the simulator, showing me the concept of autoslide (back then I had only played WC1/2, so I had no idea what it was) on Kilrathi corvettes. He was in a Piranha with the Midway nearby and half a dozen Kilrathi corvettes closing in. After dispatching one of the corvettes, he then drew the corvettes closer to the Midway.

The moral of the story: the same as in your first mission with Spirit in WC2 - corvettes are no match for carriers in WC. :)

Indeed they have. We read about them in End Run, being used for recon and pickets. Then we read about them in the WCP manual, where the TCS Brack quickly proves that a corvette with a few fighters does not make a good strike force.
I knew about the End Run one, and suspected someone would pop up with a mention of it. But I forgot about the TCS Brack - and its destruction only supports my poor opinion of corvettes in general. :)

Yeah, but this was back when the Bugs were really bad-ass :p

Anyway, don't corvettes carry torpedos?

Originally posted by LeHah

No, theres more idiots than just you two guys. ;)

Now, now if you can't say anything nice. . . oh yeah, that would mean LeHah wouldn't have anything to say at all. :)

exactly wedge, I always thought corvettes were a waste of money until WC2 rolled around (I think the pilots finally accidentally found the trigger) and just too middle of the road. But sometimes middle of the road its a good thing. Let's take a modern day example (I'm about to fuel more medium-multi-role-fighters-need-to-go-away posts). Every armed force is specailizing it's aircraft way to far. Lets go with super specialized and mulit role. The F-22 Raptor (or is it lightning, they seemed to switch back and forth for a while there) is an interceptor/air superiority. take the F-16 falcon, air superiority/interceptor/search and destroy/patrol/attack/ground support/etc etc etc (and best of all cheap) the list goes on. Truth is I'd give you 5 Raptors for 25 falcons (which is probably pretty close to the sticker price comparison). It depends are you a finesse type person or a hammer it home with force type person. The debate wages on and on and on and on .. .

An Arrow's speed can fool, a Tbolts power is cool, the Excalibur made us all drool, but the Hellcat just plain rules.

C-ya

Originally posted by Bob McDob

Dictionary.com

Assuming that by 'off time' you mean the .02 seconds it takes to plug a term into Dictionary.com.

Viper61: Considering the costs of military equipment most air forces around the world are implementing multi-role fighters like the F-16. Only the United States has the resources to develop a specialized fighter like the F-22, well maybe Russia as well. Therefore your statement about everyone specializing their aircraft is wrong.

GROAN the WC3 kat corvette isn't that hard. If you're flying the Arrow use autoslide. If done right the corvette will never touch you. If you're in the Hellcat, concentrate on eliminating the turrets first (this can actually be done). With the Thud, Longbow and the Excal simply use strafing passes. Alternatively the torp also comes in handy, especially since you can lock torps on WC3 kat corvettes :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Penguin
Viper61: Therefore your statement about everyone specializing their aircraft is wrong.

I was actually just referring to the countries that can develop aircraft like the F-22, like russia with their new mig, all of europe with the eurojet project, our new F-38 JSF (which is actually a multi mission craft). I was just making a generalization that more specialized aircraft are rolling off the assembly lines and being developed than multi-role craft.

C-ya

Dictionary.com

Try this one on for size:

Suckage (suk-ij) n. Of, or referring to, the act, trait, quality or characteristic of sucking.

Ex. "That there Concordia model is possessed of abundant suckage":p

Originally posted by Wedge009
My cousin was fiddling with the simulator, showing me the concept of autoslide (back then I had only played WC1/2, so I had no idea what it was) on Kilrathi corvettes. He was in a Piranha with the Midway nearby and half a dozen Kilrathi corvettes closing in. After dispatching one of the corvettes, he then drew the corvettes closer to the Midway.
Yeah... but what's your point? :p. WCP capships are virtually invulnerable to anything short of a mass attack or a player attack. WCP AI is too dumb to properly attack capships. Besides, you're talking about a state-of-the-art megacarrier going up against twenty-year-old corvettes.

I knew about the End Run one, and suspected someone would pop up with a mention of it. But I forgot about the TCS Brack - and its destruction only supports my poor opinion of corvettes in general.
Actually, its destruction only proves that somebody over at Tal'q needs a demotion :). A hostile force sweeps a system clean of all friendlies, and you send in a corvette?!

At any rate, all this is missing the point. Corvettes are not supposed to go head-to-head against capship unless that capship is a transport. Arguing that they're a waste of money because they're poor performers in capship combat is the same as arguing that transports are a waste of money. Sure they are, if you want to use them to attack carriers. But... :)

Anyway, don't corvettes carry torpedos?
I was referring to Kilrathi corvettes, and I'm not sure if they do. But Barracudas carry torpedoes... but only in SO. Which is why they can be a bit annoying when more than two turn up at a navpoint, gunning for the Cerberus, but even so, they become decent targets for the Cerberus' inaccurate plasma cannon.

Originally posted by Viper61
An Arrow's speed can fool, a Tbolts power is cool, the Excalibur made us all drool, but the Hellcat just plain rules.
You obviously have way too much time on your hands. ;)

Originally posted by dacis2
9999 corvettes vs 3000 Midways, the choice?
I don't think even 10000 corvettes are worth one Midway.

Originally posted by Penguin
GROAN the WC3 kat corvette isn't that hard...
I wasn't saying it is, just that, in comparison with the other capships, the corvette is actually a decent challenge.

Originally posted by Lelapinmechant
But I'm attached(maybe sentimentally) to the hellcat. It's just so... classic.
I think there's too much sentimentality in the Lexington's choice of fighters. :)

WCP capships are virtually invulnerable to anything short of a mass attack or a player attack.
I know that, I just thought the whole demonstration was rather funny.

WCP AI is too dumb to properly attack capships.
As I said above, SO Barracudas seem to get some idea in that department.

Actually, its destruction only proves that somebody over at Tal'q needs a demotion :). A hostile force sweeps a system clean of all friendlies, and you send in a corvette?!
Heh, good point. On the other hand, perhaps that's all they had available at the time? Or perhaps they didn't want to over-commit?

At any rate, all this is missing the point. Corvettes are not supposed to go head-to-head against capship unless that capship is a transport.
This is why I'm glad Confed realised that since WC1 (apart from the Brack incident, of course).

Yeah, corvettes carry torpedoes (or even CSMs, occasionally). They're good for long range patrols (like in Milk Run), for convoy interdiction, for long range recon, for picket duty and for creating an anti-fighter screen around a fleet.

Back