Hey Bandit (LOAF)

Viper61 said:
Wow, Tolwyn wasn't very effective in getting Blair assigned back to ISS :)

C-ya

He was - 2656 was when the Claw went down, and it was 2665 that we saw Blair dragged back into the front lines. After the initial attacks, he decided to let Blair stay on the Concordia, albeit grudgingly.

After Jazz was exposed and K'tithrak Mang was destroyed... not so grudgingly. ;)

LOAF: Yes, I know they're outdated. No, im not enthralled by their "enough power to vaporize a WC3-era Dreadnought" approach, especially considering that the ships they were built to target would have died with a fraction of that. What does intrigue me is that they are older technology, and that the Waterloos *might* have been originally planned out with CSM racks in mind. Current use would admittedly be limited... diversionary, so the fighters would have something to worry about besides downing your side's bombers; or perhaps in a heavy-defence role. Park a couple of CSM equipped Waterloos on top of a jump point - nobody would like 40-odd CSMs (estimate 20/Waterloo fired at once?) shoved down their throats from close range.

That aside, short of developing new CSMs that can outrun fighters or finding some sort of alternate munition for the launchers (a Ticonderoga sort of setup - lots and lots of ELRIR missiles - for dedicated fleet defence seems plausible for one) then I dont argue that the remaining Waterloos would probably be turned into the fighter-heavy carrier configuration.

Viper61 said:
ie "assigned back to ISS"? ;)

C-ya

He was assigned to ISS in 2665 after his trial. He was still in ISS service when he was flying off Concordia after rescuing her from the Kilrathi fighters. No idea when the transfer back took place, except his full exoneration and his subsequent promotion to Colonel had to happen after that.

Okay let me make say it in a direct way: ;)

In 2 years, Admiral Tolwyn couldn't find a way to send Blair back to normal ISS duty.

Viper61 said:
Okay let me make say it in a direct way: ;)

In 2 years, Admiral Tolwyn couldn't find a way to send Blair back to normal ISS duty.

In two years, he didn't WANT to do it, not after Jazz replaced him as the traitor of K'tithrak Mang.

He kinda gave up on the idea, since he was assigning Blair to the Secret Ops duty.

I think that after he exposed Jazz, Blair got put back into active duty Space Force with the rank of Colonel. Regional Command must have confirmed his new rank (and subsequent transfer).

Viper61 said:
Wow, Tolwyn wasn't very effective in getting Blair assigned back to ISS :)
Tolwyn was very vocal about getting Blair sent back, but it didn't seem like he really wanted to. IIRC, someone in WC2 (Sparks, I think - I'm too lazy to check the script on Wedge's page) actually pointed out at one point that Tolwyn has had plenty of chances to send Blair back, but he hasn't.

Back to the topic

I found something

Bandit, contrary to your claims (which I had agreed with initially) about the Gettysburg being a fleet-carrier. Even though the Gettysburg appears to carry more fighters than a traditional Waterloo, it still appears to be classified as a cruiser.

According to Wedge's script (which I read not to attempt to debunk you, but I wanted to read what Wedge was talking about and I kind of got "sucked in", before you know it, I was reading Secret Operations 2, with Captain Grimaldi defecting), Col. Blair still stated to be a cruiser.

Here is the quote... (I will illuminate the exact quote in bold)

The Bridge, TCS Concordia.
Maverick: Admiral, I have an unusual encounter to report. While patrolling the jump area, I was attacked by an enemy squadron comprised entirely of Human pilots, flying Confederation Ferrets.
Tolwyn: I’m not too surprised, Maverick. We had a report several weeks ago that the pilots of the TCS Gettysburg staged a mutiny near N’Tanya. When we lost communications with the Rigel Supply Depot, I thought they might’ve jumped to this system.
Maverick: N’Tanya… isn’t that one of the three Kilrathi planets that are rebelling against the Empire?
Tolwyn: Quite correct, Colonel. N’Tanya, K’arakh, and Shariha are fighting to join the Confederation. We’ve been trying to locate the Gettysburg since that incident at N’Tanya.
Maverick: Mutiny aboard a Confederation cruiser… I’m surprised I never heard about this, sir.
Tolwyn: If you had, Christopher, that would’ve been a serious breach of our security. Do not discuss this matter with anyone except Colonel Devereaux. The Concordia is jumping into the Rigel system and then we’ll have to take care of these Confederation mutineers. Dismissed.

-Concordia

This is the same game which had Blair trying to shoot Jazz's in his ejection seat towards the end of WC2... and then, by SO2, he says he would've gunned down Jazz while he floated in orbit, but chose not to, despite the fact that Angel was the one who stopped him from doing so. :D

Consider that Blair is shocked later on in SO1 when he finds out the Gettysburg had been carrying Crossbow bombers.

Bandit LOAF said:
Consider that Blair is shocked later on in SO1 when he finds out the Gettysburg had been carrying Crossbow bombers.

WC2:SO1 said:
Angel: Yes. Confed High Command is already planning the court-martial for the Commander, who was released with his officers in a Crossbow bomber, and returned to Olympus Station two weeks ago.

Maverick: A Crossbow? I’ve never heard of that bomber.

Angel: It’s very new, an improvement on the Broadsword technology. The Gettysburg was testing the prototypes.

Maverick: So these mutineers have the hottest new Confederation ship technology now?

Looks like Blair wasn't fully briefed in on the Gettysburg, aye?

If he didn't know about the Crossbows, he may not have known about any reconfiguration which may have taken place during a refit. After all, he's been off the front line for about ten years at this point.

Haesslich said:
Looks like Blair wasn't fully briefed in on the Gettysburg, aye?

If he didn't know about the Crossbows, he may not have known about any reconfiguration which may have taken place during a refit. After all, he's been off the front line for about ten years at this point.

Well, they didn't mistakenly list the Crossbow as an Interceptor or a Fighter did they? They got the classification correct.

Not to mention, Blair not knowing it is not a good explanation. Tolwyn probably would have corrected him if he said it was a Cruiser and it was wrong. The classification of the ship isn't classified :p.

-Concordia

Maybe the classification was a "need to know" type thing. The bureaucracy might have went so far as to hide the fact that it was reconfigured as a carrier to further hide the fact it was testing Crossbows (not to mention to keep the info out of Kilrathi hands, imagine a Cat Commanders reaction when he learned that instead of a carrier, cruiser and (say) a destroyer in a task force, he was basically dealing with a carrier, a carrier and a cruiser, and a destroyer :) )

C-ya

Tolwyn would only correct Blair in an awful Neodevilbane fanfic.

"We're getting ready to launch our Arrows!"
"I think you mean our Douglas Aerospace F-80 Arrow V class interceptor slash light fighters."
{carrier lost}

I hope neo doesn't infect this board either :(

"Colonel Christopher Blair, Academy class of 2654, went to the Ranger-class light carrier TCS Victory, in size 32 chaps with no pants, in his R-Type Shuttle which was configured for personnel transport by Chief Petty Officer Rachel Coriolis, who did it with five other technicians"

Viper61 said:
Maybe the classification was a "need to know" type thing.

Unlikely. Navy Ship class (Cruiser/Destroyer) listings are public knowledge; even civilians know this. Their specs may be classified or certain capabilities they may have may be (for example, a military aircraft listed of being capable of Mach 2.0 may be actually faster, let's say 2.6). Some may consider an additional 20 fighters as an example of this. Since it was said somewhere that they could be reconfigured as a carrier, this does not seem to be the case. The U.S.S. Lexington (CV-2) was originally a Battlecruiser. When it was converted to a Carrier it was openly listed as being a Carrier. It wasn't listed as CA-2, it was listed as CV-2

As for your comment about it being classified as a Cruiser instead of a Carrier to hide their testing of Crossbow Bombers is a bit far-fetched. Why would you need to do that? You could say it's a carrier and not have to admit to testing Crossbows off of it. Just because it's a carrier doesn't mean it's launching Crossbows, under that logic, every Confed Carrier should be carrying Crossbows.

psych said:
"Colonel Christopher Blair, Academy class of 2654, went to the Ranger-class light carrier TCS Victory, in size 32 chaps with no pants, in his R-Type Shuttle which was configured for personnel transport by Chief Petty Officer Rachel Coriolis, who did it with five other technicians"

I hope you made that quote up :rolleyes:

-Concordia

Back