Here`s a new one.

I don't know how anyone could possibly mistake the Vesuvius class for the Ranger.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It would only make sense if it was the Vesuvius. That was at Jupiter, and the Victory was at Saturn, IIRC. One might be forgiven for mixing Ranger and Concordia classes, but Ranger and Vesuvius?

Mistaking the Vesuvius for the Ranger is like mistaking the WC3 dreadnought for the corvette
smile.gif

As for the Lexington and the Victory - that's a whole different matter.

The Lexington is a Concordia class carrier, while the Victory is a Ranger class light carrier. The two designs are pretty old and their similarity could be explained by being designed at the same time by the same people. The Ranger was designed 50 years before the war IIRC, but I don't think we have a date for the Concordia class.

Okay, besides it being a lot bigger and a bit thinner looking, the Vesuvius looked a lot like any other Confedration carrier since WC3. Hollow rectangle with points at the front, tower on one side, intakes half way up the top.

I think the exhausts looked different on the Vesusius but I can't remember...

The rear of the Vesuvius looks much different, and the fron, while similar, is also different, and much better looking. Plus the whole ship is much wider than either Concordia or Ranger class.

No one's saying that their not similar, but the differences are so clear you'd really have to be blind not to see them.
smile.gif

Mad Hatter, it's the Ranger class that's old. The Victory herself isn't actually that old. Remember that Eisen was on her maiden voyage as a young Lt, and he isn't THAT old.
wink2.gif

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited October 13, 2000).]

Yeah, I thought about it right after submitting the post, but I guess I was too lazy to edit it again.
smile.gif

Ooooookay.... after being reemed out totally from those last posts about not being able to tell the WC3 ship from a ship I'd never seen before, I've finished WC4, and I still think that the Vesuvius class looks a lot like Tin Can Sally. At least, from the front. The only real difference I see is that it's bigger.

But hey, I'm nearsighted, borderline blind, and apparantly can mistake a dreadnought for a corvette, right? Yeesh....

------------------

§

Try this. Distinguishing features between the Vesuvius and the Ranger & Concordia classes:
The Vesuvius has 2 very long prongs on the front - these are longer then the stubby prongs on the Ranger/Concordia.
The Ranger/Concordia class have 3 engines mounted in nacelle pods, 1 on top of the ship and the other 2 on the bottom corners, canted outboard. The Vesuvius has her engines streamlined into her hull - they are only visible from the rear.
The Vesuvius has a much larger island (naval jargon for the tower) then the Ranger/Concordia.
The Vesuvius is more rectangular and larger then the Ranger/Concordia.
The Vesuvius has more turrets then the Ranger/Concordia and it's flight deck is wider.
The Vesuvius/St Helens have a large number painted on the aft section of their tops (01, 02, etc). The Ranger/Concordia lack this.

I thought it was good that they at least managed to preserve the front prongs on the Concordia/Ranger class in the same style as they drew the Confederation class Concordia from WC2. I'm presuming that they (the programmers not Confed) designed Ranger after the Confederation class

Penguin said:
The Vesuvius/St Helens have a large number painted on the aft section of their tops (01, 02, etc).

there's a funny hing about this, the 01/02 numbers seem to be mixxed up a fuw times in the game...
it's clear that the Vesuvius is #01 and the st. helens #02... here's what i've found...

- when you first encounter the Vesuvius, (exiting Black lance HQ i belife) it has the nr 01.
- in the cutscene where seether aprouches the vusuvius it has the nr 02 on it's back.
- in the cutscene where the trepid jumps the vusuvius it still has the nr 02
- when you battle the monster at the Sol jump point in has the nr 01 again.
- the St. helens jumps in to save the day, wharing nr 02!
- when the vesuvius is beeing chased down the jump point (and the trepid is trying to keep up
biggrin.gif
) the vesuvius has the nrs 01 again.
- and finally, the mission where you take her down, it has the nr 01 again....

what do ya think about that?

------------------
twist·er (twstr): n. 1. One that twists, as in the manufacture of rope or yarn. 2. Sports. A ball thrown or batted with a twist. 3. Informal. A. A cyclone. B. A tornado. 4. Confed pilot, hero of the kilrathi war, renowned fleet admiral.

I think that it's only one of MANY inconsistencies in WC3 and 4.

Also, did anyone else find that the 'traitor' storylines got tired by 4? They already had it in 2, SOP1, SOP2, and 3... it gets kind of played out after a few sequels.

------------------

§

Uhh, who was the traitor in SO1?

That confused me too - I always remembered the Vesuvius as being 02, but it made more sense to me if it was 01.

Okay, they had Jazz in WC2, Jazz and Minx in SO2, and Hobbes (grrr, no happy ending) in WC3. They all had quite different circumstances for their 'treachery,' and I don't think there was any lack of variety.

All I remember in SO1 is the 'mutiny.' And we get introduced to Bear, so I guess that's a good thing.

Yes, the traitor subplot did get tiresome by the end. While they were imaginative about how each was a traitor, there was still a traitor in 3 straight games. I still don't know which one threw me more for a loop, Hobbes or Tolywn.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

Yep... I agree. While it would be nice for Chris Roberts to get Wing Commander from Satan, I'm kind of afraid that if he continues the Prophecy storyline, it'll have yet another traitor. Like, the CAG and Wilford are actually Nephilim sympathizers who hand the Midway over to the aliens.

Don't get me wrong, Chris Roberts' work is very good... but so many games centering around betrayal and treason shouldn't have permeated so many games.

------------------

§

Back