Hello furballs

Well, Gripen has been in full operational service for about five years now... so yeah. It did go somewhere. But it is also the least "new" of the new generation of fighters. It is neither stealthy nor uses vectored thrust and such and so didn't require aeons of flight testing... Even though two crashed, one in downtown Stockholm during the annual Water Festival... I was there...

Fighters That Never Seem To Go Anywhere:

F-22 Raptor (US)
Eurofighter 2000 (Europe)
Raphale (France)
Lavi (Israel)

And the lsit goes on...and on...and on...

And I think the Maginot line is underated. It's been said that it could have held out if the French Government hadn't collapsed. :) Of course, the Maginot Line didn't really help defend the French...

Originally posted by Sadic
The Rafale Mk1 is finished now and the first squadron will be operational very soon.4 of the naval version are currently participating an exercice in meaditeranean see with italy, uk and other countries.

I take that back. :) Two down, 3,457 to go...

Don't forget the FS-X... Also The S-37 Berkut

The Su-37, and AIDC Ching-Kuo are on the flight line, though... so there's two more who work...

Originally posted by Bob McDob

And I think the Maginot line is underated. It's been said that it could have held out if the French Government hadn't collapsed. :) Of course, the Maginot Line didn't really help defend the French...

Especially when all the Nazi's did was go around it.

The Maginot line was a psychological defense... Meant to boost the morale of the French people... "Look here, they will never do it to us again"... Never held any military meaning until they realized it was all they had...

In Sweden we have eight fortresses in a cty named Boden, which is where the prime minister and king would move in the event of war, but our borders aren't guarded by concrete walls, save for the coastal fortresses in the Stockholm archipelago and their huge 18 inch guns :)

Basically the idea is to have a small very efficient combat defense very mobile and able to move within hours to respond to an enemy aggression anywhere along the border. Since Sweden is the size of Madagascar, this is possible... Our aircraft were designed to use our highway system as air bases. We only have four military air bases in the country, but every ten miles or so there is a fuel line outlet for jet fuel along the main supply highway that runs thrugh the country...

I still say we're screwed.

You know some arsehole one day will be all like, "Hey, let's take over the world! Where to start....SWEDEN!!!"

Since we're talking about defense and such, I heard somewhere that the US military is toying with idea of MECHS! How cool is that?! I don't think they're really taking it seriously but if they looked into it you never know!

The F-22 is still in flight trials, and provided the politicians don't kill it, after it has already gotten nearly to operational status, it should be joining the active force in 2004 or so. As far as I know, it's on schedule.

Originally posted by Supdon3
I wouldnt worry, no offense but what strategic advantage is there by attacking Sweden?

By making bombers or fighters taking off from Sweden you can easily reach all european places in short time. It is a very strategic location. There was a game called EF2000 (1995 DID) in which Russian tryied to invade both Norway and Sweden to later invade the entiere Europe. One of my favourite sim game in fact !

The concept of an armed invasion of Sweden poses a great threat to NATO stability in the area. I doubt it would ever come so far as anyone setting foot on Norwegian or Swedish soil, not as long as there are greater countries with interest in smaller ones... Like I said, the entire concept of the Swedish defense is to buy time until the Americans get here.

Back