Hello furballs

Zim

Spaceman
Greetings.

Since a short time, 3 months or so, I have been GMing a Wing Commander RPG, based on the Star Wars RPG rules. Sinci I want to keep this RPG as authentical as possible, can anyone tell me exactly where in the history of the War, WC1 goes into WC2?

Thanks in advance,

Zim

The war began on 2634.186, Wing Commander 1 lasted from 2654.110 to 2655.315 (including the SM addons). The Tiger's Claw was lost on 2656.056 (WC2 intro), and WC2 itself went from 2665.110 to 2667.111 (including the SO addons). The war ended on 2669.267.

and another thing...

and this: were there stealth fighters in WC1? I mean, I finished the game, and I never saw any plus they are not in Freedom Flight either, but maybe... I can't wait to let my PCs battle Stealties...

LOAF, did you know those dates out of your bare head?

best wel vaag weet je. --Zim

[Edited by Zim on 05-16-2001 at 08:25]

No, there were no stealth fighters in WC1. They didn't come around until 2655-56, IIRC. If I'm wrong, I'm sure LOAF will shortly correct me.

The earliest stealth fighter is featured in the WC Academy cartoon, but gets destroyed and there are none in WC1.

2654: The Kilrathi introduce the first full cloaking device -- although currently capable of being mounted only on large, unmanned missiles, the new weapon confirms Confederation beliefs that the Kilrathi have made significant advances in the area of cloaking technology.
2655: The first Shroud-type device is tested, on a modified Sartha light fighter -- called a "Strakha". The device hides the enemy ship only from enemy radar -- and is judged a failure after one of two prototypes is destroyed during combat trials.
2656: The first fighters featuring a full cloak enter very limited service. The ships, Strakha class, are used to destroy the Tiger's Claw. Unfortunately for the Kilrathi, the planet where Strakha are produced, Ghorah Khar, rebels against the Empire. The shipyards are destroyed, setting back plans for the ships ten years.
2665: Production of Strakha class ships again begins, in limited numbers. It is not until 2667 that the Confederation will officially confirm the existence of these ships. By 2668, the Strakha is still incredibly rare.
2669: The first pure-fighter variant of the Strakha enters service. The Confederation SHROUD and Blackfish devices enter service. A new variant of the Kilrathi Skipper is tested.

Oh, it's from lots of places... the writeup about the Skipper in the Confed handbook, the events in WC2... the mentions of Stealth Fighters in SWC... the various COnfed uses of cloaks in WC3 and in Victory Streak... the CCG for the 'Blackfish' name... lots of places, all stuck together <G> I can get you more detailed information when I'm at home... doing everything from memory while I'm at work.

(Well, memory and a copy of Freedom Flight that I put in my lunch...)

If you have a question of dates, just ask loaf. He knows just about everything. If there was a wing commander historian, he would be it.

And no.........the kilrathi never cloaked a capship that i'm aware of. That didn't happen till wing 4 with the black lance. And even then, it drew so much power, that it had to decloak to fire its engines.

The Blackfish is Confed's fully effective cloaking device. While not as efficient in the process of cloaking and decloaking as the hitherto unnamed Kilrathi cloaking device, it is a fully operational cloaking device.

The Shroud, could that be what made COSA ships invisible in I-War?

In combat, most ships use a High power Radar. This ?illuminates? the ship and all around it, with a return proportional to their size and profile. This can be reduced using current stealth technology, but this doesn?t eliminate the radar signature, just reduces it. Total stealth needs a completely radar absorbent material. The I-War Shroud, as far as I recall uses a porous carbon diamondoid ceramic, each pore a channel down into a series of chambers. The radar signal isn?t returned, it is reflected down the channels into the chambers, loosing energy at each reflection. The absorbent panels need constant cooling, but are the most effective means to eliminate your radar signature. Stealth is possible, with absorbent / reflective hulls that scatter your active sensor returns, 99.9999% matt black non reflective hulls and internal heat sinks to absorb waste heat and baffles to prevent IR emissions.

As for a Real cloak, now we get theoretical :)

But does this thing from I-War sound reasonable for, say, the Sartha in WCA?

These COSA ships are painted matte black and don't show up on scanners, although You can see them... It seems a reasonably good explanation of how it could have been done...

PS I do NOT mean for this to escalate into a Versus thread. DS

Cloaking theory

I'm still of the opinion that a 'real' cloaking device would consist of electromagnetic distortions, strong enough to bend the light. I don't think messing with gravity is a good idea...

Who knows, we might mess with gravity too much and a black hole might appear on our doorstep...

The Shroud device is an electronic cloak that operates on two frequencies... PAPA1 and DELTA6. The Blackfish cloak uses an array of anti-graviton emitters to create a visual shield of photons and other emissions.

BTW this make me think that I have read that the Russians are working on a new technology to make stealth fighters. They don't work on the shape and the paint of the aircraft but they try to ionise (I'm not sure of that verb...) the atmosphere surrounding the fighter to absorb radar waves.

I don't remember the name of this device, but it is brand new and it is studied by a public research institute.

But unlike the Kilrathi things, we still can see the fighter using our eyes :)

You can still see it through Polish radar, though...

This company in Poland has perfected a three-antenna array which can accurately detect the usage of electronic devices, I saw it on "Flightline" a few months back and it impressed me... they saw any FLy By Wire ship will give off a trace every timeit maneuvers, and all planes do it when using controls, flipping switches and so on... Maybe THAT's why the TC crew couldn't touch anything in the movie...

I think there may be experiments going on here in the States on chameleonic coatings for aircraft, which makes them extremely hard to see with the naked eye. Add that to active and passive stealth, and you have a pretty hard target.

Back