Has Chris Roberts ever been in this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt mean for my post to sound like it was saying you were not a self thinker Pete. Sorry if it did, but it was not intended to be.

It just amazes me that some in the world cannot move an inch without being led by the hand, such as reviews over a movie to give opinion and judgement before the ones doing the judging have yet to even see the opening credits!

Just weird is all.

Originally posted by RFBurns
How can anyone put so much faith into something based on a review that is usually biased and swayed, without even taking that bold, brave step and simply finding out for ones self?!

I suppose if reviews are what makes people decide if something is good or not, then a good section of the society IS gullable!
Hold on a sec, take the earlier car-buying example - I'm sure you research a car before you buy it right? Okay, scale that purchase down to a $100 DVD player - unless you've got more dough than you know what to do with I'm betting you'd research that too. You're making it sound like anyone that makes a decision based on a review(s) is weak-minded.

Personally, I don't pay that much attention to movie reviews. When I go to the movies I go to see something in particular, something I'm interested in. On the few occasions that I'm just going just to get out of the house it usually boils down to "That one looks interesting" or "I've heard that one's good". If I'm going to drop $7.50 for a ticket (and $12.00 for a soda and popcorn) I want to enjoy the experience. Reviews and word of mouth help reduce the risk of being disappointed.

Originally posted by Marcml30

Hold on a sec, take the earlier car-buying example - I'm sure you research a car before you buy it right? Okay, scale that purchase down to a $100 DVD player - unless you've got more dough than you know what to do with I'm betting you'd research that too. You're making it sound like anyone that makes a decision based on a review(s) is weak-minded.

No, I dont think that anyone who relies on reviews are "weak minded", its just a surprise to see so many rely on the reviews to a movie that is a part of a bigger story. From what I hear on radio and see on news, alot of movie goers were expecting something to the likes of what is seen in "The Matrix". I would hope that the reviews had nothing to do with that! Those folks who were expecting The Matrix type of movie when going to see SW EPII, should be dissapointed! After all, the movie title is SW EPII Attack of the Clones, hardly "The Matrix"! ;)

Originally posted by RFBurns
No, I dont think that anyone who relies on reviews are "weak minded", its just a surprise to see so many rely on the reviews to a movie that is a part of a bigger story.
Well, the reviews (I've seen an even mix of good and bad) don't appear to have hurt EP2 ticket sales. But from what I've heard and read, EP2 is pretty standard for the SW series: you don't go to see great acting.

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
It's worse than that. I've seen a lot of very bad reviews [about Episode II].
And I have seen next to none. :confused:

Originally posted by TheFraix
The Clones start to attack only at the end of the movie.
You're not supposed to tell people that. :(

I liked Attack of the Clones. I had a big stupid grin on my face throughout the movie, and for some time afterward.

Of course, Wing Commander made me happy, too.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
No, I didn't. [...]
Then I apologise. It seemed to me that you were implying it.

Wing Commander didn't suffer from a negative reaction -- it suffered from no one seeing it in the first place. It was in and out of theaters in three weeks.
When the biggest ever product from a long-running brand disappears from theatres in three weeks, that is likely to have some effect on the brand-related decision-making. And, for the fiftieth time, I repeat - I am not saying this is the only reason. I have never tried to deny that the low sales of space sims were a big factor behind the cancellation. *All* I am saying is that it's crazy to believe that a $30 million failure had no effect on the decision-making. I really don't think my claim is at all unreasonable.
I won't bother responding to the rest of your post - it's all based on misinterpretations of what I said anyway.

Originally posted by Quarto
...misinterpretations...
For which you and LOAF are famous for [with each other, that is]. :) I hope this particular discussion doesn't carry any further.

Originally posted by Quarto
When the biggest ever product from a long-running brand disappears from theatres in three weeks, that is likely to have some effect on the brand-related decision-making.
Likely != Guaranteed. It obviously didn't have much of an affect since POL was resurrected shortly thereafter.
*All* I am saying is that it's crazy to believe that a $30 million failure had no effect on the decision-making.
Not once one looks at the facts and realizes that it didn't.
I really don't think my claim is at all unreasonable.
Perhaps not in a hypothetical situation, but in this case, you were proven wrong before you ever opened your mouth.
I won't bother responding to the rest of your post - it's all based on misinterpretations of what I said anyway.
Lazy-bones.

If I wanted your opinion Mekt... wait, I wouldn't want your opinion.

That's the good thing about the internet, you can yell your opinion across the planet without anyone ever asking for it. You profit from that fact enormously.
But since personal agendas are indeed a waste of bandwidth I'll just say that once:
LeHah you have become extremely annoying in my eyes with your crude, insulting and unintelligent posts against those you have decided to be stupid. That was not always that way and I really don't think that there is need for that here. The Admins and Mods are capable of doing that and we already have Frosty and Weasel who do that from the non-staff level.

Speaking of which, the two of you both need a good thwacking. Shall I do the honors or have you finished your little squabble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back