Has Chris Roberts ever been in this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You seemed to imply it.

No, I didn't. I *stated* that Privateer Online was ressurected after the movie came out as a counter to the incorrect claim that it was *canceled* after the movie came out. There was *no* implication on my part that these two things were related.

Either way, the movie did *not* slip past the radar, and that's easy enough to see just by taking a trip through the CIC's own news archives. It got really bad reviews, and people avoided it like the plague at the cinema, but it had a lot of video rentals. Therefore, people have heard about it. And people didn't like it. Plus, do not underestimate the power of word-of-mouth - it remains the most effective form of advertising known to mankind. Ask yourself how many people didn't see it because they heard about it from friends.

Getting really bad reviews != people avoiding it. Episode 2, for instance, has gotten similarly awful reviews and it's already one of the most succesful movies of all time. Wing Commander didn't suffer from a negative reaction -- it suffered from no one seeing it in the first place. It was in and out of theaters in three weeks.

In short - had Origin expected the movie to have a positive impact on the brand, they would not have cancelled POL just before the movie's release. If it didn't have a positive impact, it had a negative impact. The later resurrection does not prove that it had no impact at all, because there is no such thing as 'no impact at all'. A $30-40 million product 'slips under the radar', you say? Well, I'm sure that would give an Origin executive a lot of confidence about a $1-2 million product. I don't know why POL was resurrected, but I'm willing to bet that this was *in spite of* rather than because of or regardless of the movie.

None of this makes any sense. We *know* why EA cancelled POL -- it's a stated fact... space sims weren't selling well. And now you've made the jump from the entirely made up claim that the movie caused POL to be cancelled to the far *crazier* claim that you're still right because they must have *predicted* the movie wouldn't sell well and thusly cancelled a multi-million dollar project on that account. That doesn't make sense -- there's a point where you have to balance the desperate desire to be right with the actual situation...

Originally posted by Mav23
Hey RFBurns... when did you come back? Nice to see you here again.
A while back, perhaps you should drop by more often too. :)

Originally posted by Frosty
And myself answers... nobody?
Uh, moi?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Episode 2, for instance, has gotten similarly awful reviews and it's already one of the most succesful movies of all time.
It did? That's odd, all the reviews I've seen were quite positive, even though the actors' performance were described as a bit 'wooden', but that's pretty much the case for all the SW movies...

I avoided it because everyone (including my friends who are WC fans) was telling how bad it was, so I saw something else instead - I don't go to the cinemas very often, so it didn't seem worthwhile.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Getting really bad reviews != people avoiding it. Episode 2, for instance, has gotten similarly awful reviews and it's already one of the most succesful movies of all time.
You do realize that the above is complete horseshit don’t you? Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t, there are a bunch of factors and reviews are one of them.
(1) The reviews for EP2 were mixed - try reading more than just one review. It seemed that people either loved it or thought it was just okay. It wasn’t universally panned like another movie I can think of.

(2) EP2 successful?! Who would have guessed???? The Star Wars (and Star Trek too) franchises are so popular they’re almost guaranteed to be, at a minimum, moderately successful, regardless of reviews. EP2 has so much more going for it than WC – bigger budget, better promotion, a fan base that is exponentially larger than WCs, yada yada yada.
Originally posted by WildWeasel
You let other people form your opinions? Wow.
You ever research a product before you buy or do you just plunk down a couple of grand on merchandise without reading a review? Hey, when you’re ready to buy a car let me know – I’ll be working at the Yugo lot, please stop by!!! Yes, I listen to them, weigh the reviews (unlike some I don’t just read one) against my desire to see the movie, and then make my own decision on what I want to see. If my desire to see the movie outweighs the risk of throwing away $8.00 and 2 hours of my life, I’ll go.

You ever read a post before making stupid comments?

Originally posted by Elric
You ever research a product before you buy or do you just plunk down a couple of grand on merchandise without reading a review?

As a matter of fact, I do conduct such research. Thanks for asking.

Hey, when you’re ready to buy a car let me know – I’ll be working at the Yugo lot, please stop by!!!

I don't think it would be wise to ensure my hard-earned cash to someone like you. Besides, I wouldn't want a Yugo. Thanks for offering, though.

Yes, I listen to them, weigh the reviews (unlike some I don’t just read one) against my desire to see the movie, and then make my own decision on what I want to see. If my desire to see the movie outweighs the risk of throwing away $8.00 and 2 hours of my life, I’ll go.

Wow. That's almost exactly the point I was trying to make. Perhaps you should try reading my post before making such poor attempts at insulting me. Thanks for trying.

Re: Maybe you should try posting more than one-liners

Originally posted by WildWeasel
I don't think it would be wise to ensure my hard-earned cash to someone like you. Besides, I wouldn't want a Yugo. Thanks for offering, though.
I'm crushed! I hope you didn't let someone else form your opinion for you.
Wow. That's almost exactly the point I was trying to make. Perhaps you should try reading my post before making such poor attempts at insulting me. Thanks for trying.
Sorry Slick, I guess I totally missed the hidden meaning behind "You let other people form your opinions? Wow." I'll know next time I see one of your one-liners that a pearl of wisdom lies somewhere beneath. So what, in my original statement didn't "almost exactly" match with your 7 word comment? Oh and You're very welcome!

Is that really the best you can do?

Sorry Slick, I guess I totally missed the hidden meaning behind "You let other people form your opinions? Wow." I'll know next time I see one of your one-liners that a pearl of wisdom lies somewhere beneath. So what, in my original statement didn't "almost exactly" match with your 7 word comment? Oh and You're very welcome!

It's a matter of reading and interpreting the statement properly, which you obviously failed to do. Since you're unable to do so, let me explain it for you.

Your statement showed how one should weigh other people's reviews against one's own desires. This means that you're considering other people's opinions in your decision, but they're not completely making the decision for you.

My statement implied that one should not allow one's opinions to be formed by other people. This means that you can consider other people's views when forming your opinions, but they're not completely forming your opinions for you.

See the similarities? I hope so. You seem like a bright kid, but your overuse of sarcasm is clouding that fact. Use it sparingly. And welcome to the Chat Zone.

You do realize that the above is complete horseshit don’t you? Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t, there are a bunch of factors and reviews are one of them.
(1) The reviews for EP2 were mixed - try reading more than just one review. It seemed that people either loved it or thought it was just okay. It wasn’t universally panned like another movie I can think of.

It's kind of sad that the only intelligent response to this is "no it's not, dumbass".

(2) EP2 successful?! Who would have guessed???? The Star Wars (and Star Trek too) franchises are so popular they’re almost guaranteed to be, at a minimum, moderately successful, regardless of reviews. EP2 has so much more going for it than WC – bigger budget, better promotion, a fan base that is exponentially larger than WCs, yada yada yada.

As video games go, few have been more succesful than Wing Commander -- but Quarto claims bad reviews killed the movie.

Mmph, now that I'm at work and I've had a can of Pepsi let me explain why you're an idiot without actually calling you an idiot. Now, let me preface this all by reminding everyone that I'm only being a jerk to you because you came here and brought the whole 'being a dick' thing into a perfectly friendly discussion.

You do realize that the above is complete horseshit don’t you?

That exact phrase about as pseudointellectual as you can get without actually knowing anything!

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t, there are a bunch of factors and reviews are one of them.

So... despite that "the above is complete horseshit", you admit that "sometines it does". Does not compute.

Because I said it got bad reviews... obviously I read only one? Nonsense quotient rising! Episode II got a whole bunch of awful reviews from the respectable print sources... as did Wing Commander. Both also got some 'okay' reviews.

Hey, you tripped over my point and got it all over your face. What you just said is *exactly* the point I was trying to make: Episode II was succesful *regardless* of reviews, not *in spite* of them... it's *other* factors that sell tickets. Wing Commander didn't have the fanbase or the interest or the advertising or the hype.

You ever research a product before you buy or do you just plunk down a couple of grand on merchandise without reading a review?

You'd probably be pretty stupid to plunk down a couple of grand to see a movie whether you check to see if it has good reviews or not.

Hey, when you’re ready to buy a car let me know – I’ll be working at the Yugo lot, please stop by!!! Yes, I listen to them, weigh the reviews (unlike some I don’t just read one) against my desire to see the movie, and then make my own decision on what I want to see. If my desire to see the movie outweighs the risk of throwing away $8.00 and 2 hours of my life, I’ll go.

Because buying a car is *exactly* the same as seeing a movie!

Originally posted by Wedge009
Unfortunately, that cannot be guaranteed. It is true that the space sim market is experiencing a low point, barring Rogue Leader and Jedi Starfighter perhaps, but that's only because of association with Star Wars.

Is there any new and good space sim being presented at this year´s E3 Expo?

The reviews for EP2 were mixed - try reading more than just one review. It seemed that people either loved it or thought it was just okay
It's worse than that. I've seen alot of very bad reviews. I've seen whole article saying Lucas should never be directing another movie again and even a call to not encourage (the article was bordeline to a call for boycott) Lucas anymore.

Stupid People complains too much, it is Star Wars not Henry V, Hamlet or Don Quijote De la Mancha.

Of all people...

I haven't watched Star Wars episode II: Attack of the Clones.

And why are they titling it Attack of the Clones?

The Clones start to attack only at the end of the movie.

duh.

How can anyone put so much faith into something based on a review that is usually biased and swayed, without even taking that bold, brave step and simply finding out for ones self?!

I suppose if reviews are what makes people decide if something is good or not, then a good section of the society IS gullable!

Too many puppets on strings being led around by someone elses opinion these days. No wonder things are so mucked up in the world!

I have yet to see SW EPII, and I can say that these reviews that started flooding everything BEFORE the movie even opened in theaters, have no meaning as far as I am concerned. If I relied on reviews to make decisions for me, then I would loose my free will to explore and find out things myself, which chances are, when you do find things out for yourself, you find out more about it in the long run anyway!

Originally posted by RFBurns
How can anyone put so much faith into something based on a review that is usually biased and swayed...
I don't. I only said they exist. I am a self-thinker (yay !) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back