Handles .. .

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I feel the need to point out that I absolutely couldn't stand Bubblegum Crisis... if anybody wants to buy a cheap copy of the shiney pink DVD box set, I'd be happy to get rid of it <G>

Which parallels my attempt to sell a copy of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlines on DVD. Someone bought me one too many...

Originally posted by LeHah

Which parallels my attempt to sell a copy of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlines on DVD. Someone bought me one too many...

I also have a few Sailor Moon discs that I'm desperate to get rid of. There's like this voice in the back of my head telling me I need to either buy the rest of these series' I don't like or get rid of them. <G>

Originally posted by DetailedTarget
Also, AD is supposed to stand for "Advanced" since they are not highway patrol and deal with boomer crimes and not lowly street crime. It's been a very long time, but I think that was mentioned in the AD Police Files mini OVA series. Again, it may also represent futurism in Japan as well. Puns and double entendres would not surprise me in the least.
Advanced Division Police. They're basically the Megatokyo equivalent of SWAT, with most of their weapons and tactics aimed at taking down rogue boomers, although they can still give speeding tickets and the like (great scene in episode 8 where Nene accidentally pulls Priss over for speeding :p ). Incidentally, in BGC2032, the normal police are apparently the THP (presumably Tokyo Highway Patrol).

Hey thanks guys! :) I don't think I'll be able to get hold of Bubblegum 2032, unless Madman (the anime distribution company for Australasia) gets the rights. And they seem to have their hands full with other stuff.

OK here's another question. Is Martian Successor Nadesico worth getting?

Originally posted by junior

Advanced Division Police. They're basically the Megatokyo equivalent of SWAT, with most of their weapons and tactics aimed at taking down rogue boomers, although they can still give speeding tickets and the like (great scene in episode 8 where Nene accidentally pulls Priss over for speeding :p ). Incidentally, in BGC2032, the normal police are apparently the THP (presumably Tokyo Highway Patrol).
AD does stand for advanced division.
lets put it all to gether. bgc ova each ep, builds on the next story lines continul may by 2 or three eps latter. until the last (never made) blows up all over the place.the name comes from the point that a bubble is about to brake not the music stile.
it is considerd by a lot of peolpe to be the best ova series ever made.

Originally posted by Battler Hawke

it is considerd by a lot of peolpe to be the best ova series ever made.

Best OVA series ever made? I like it, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who's acquainted with anime and agrees with that assessment. The last episode of Gunbuster (which, unfortunately, I have never seen - only the first three episodes) is considered by many to be one of the best anime stories ever shown, and that came out at around the same time.
There are plenty of OVA series which are much better than BGC 2032.

Heh, the best OVA I've seen is Macross Plus. But that's because its the only OVA I've ever seen so far.

This one just popped into my head: If they got money to do BGC 2040, then why didn't they just use that to continue BGC 2032?

"Best OVA Series Made" is a misnomer b/c I doubt anyone has seem them all to even be able to make such a determination.

"Best OVA I've Seen" probably goes to Cowboy Bebop though it trouble me b/c I hate to see anything trump BGC. Other close runners are definitely Gun Smith Cats (also with characters by Kenichi Sonada, only he did everything here, not _just_ the character design), and You're Under Arrest. I can't explain the last one, it was just _really_ good. :D

Penguin - Try ebay. You can find _anything_ on ebay, and for a decent price. If you don't have a non-region locked (or a region 1) DVD player, grab the 8 VHS tapes.

Originally posted by Penguin
Heh, the best OVA I've seen is Macross Plus. But that's because its the only OVA I've ever seen so far.

This one just popped into my head: If they got money to do BGC 2040, then why didn't they just use that to continue BGC 2032?

Sadly, it would probably have not been possible to do so. It was tried with a 3 parter called Bubblegum Crash and most fans didn't really like that one.

It may have just been a matter of the writers not doing their homework well enough, but it's hard even for the original writer to recapture the same feel of a piece of work after years away from it.

Couple of reasons.
First is the issue of who owns it.
Second is that it was being financed by an entirely different source (incidentally, ADV was one of the groups financing the show's production).
Finally, Sonada apparently didn't like BGC, and was able to use its collapse as a way to get out of making more of it.
Bubblegum Crash and ADPolice were both attempts to capitalize on it. The latter focuses on Leon roughly ten years earlier, while the former purports to tell what happened in 2034. Unfortunately, no one know really knows how closely Crash adhered to the originally intended plots. In addition, there are a number of characterizations that apparently fly in the face of BGCrisis (haven't seen it myself, only heard about it). A couple of the biggest are that Priss is depicted as having an irrational hatred of Boomers despite the Sylvie and Anri episodes, and that Priss and Leon apparently carry on as if neither one was interested in the other.

Detailed Target - Cowboy Bebop OVA? I'm familiar with the TV Series, and I've heard about the movie (I don't think its out yet in Japan, though), but I have yet to hear of an OVA. Did I miss something?

Some good OVAs for those who are interested (individual mileage may vary...)

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki! - two series, 13 episodes total. Series 3 should be out shortly. No relation continuity-wise to the movies or TV series. CN shows this from time to time (I think its on Adult Swim right now, although still edited, unfortunately). "Six crazy girls, all under the same roof, all have the hots for Tenchi."
So sayeth the voice of Optimus Prime (the VA CN was using for its Tenchi Toonami ads).
Gunbuster - starts out not so great, but gets better and better.
Macross Plus - story's kind of weak, but looks great.
Gundam 0080 - the One Year War through a kid's eyes.
Record of Lodoss War - old classic series. Elves with big pointy ears (BIG pointy ears), classic D&D party, quests to save the world, and Ashram, one of the most popular villians to ever grace an animator's table.
STAY AWAY FROM THE TV SHOW!!!! It started off mediocre, and got worse. The only good thing about it was the SD omake at the end of each episode.

Macross Plus - story's kind of weak, but looks great.

Finally an opinion on Macross Plus that I can agree wholeheartedly with! I mean it's good, but I swear no matter which way I twist it in my head, that 3 way relationship never works :( But I'll never get tired of watching the aerial scenes :cool:

Finally, Sonada apparently didn't like BGC, and was able to use its collapse as a way to get out of making more of it.
You mean that he had more to do with it than the character designs? I was not aware of that. I also don't recall seeing his name in the credits anywhere.

A couple of the biggest are that Priss is depicted as having an irrational hatred of Boomers despite the Sylvie and Anri episodes, and that Priss and Leon apparently carry on as if neither one was interested in the other.
Yes, Priss's behavior was what turned me away from it mainly. There were other things, but I can't remember them now. In fact, overall I don't like Crash at all really. Still, I can't sell it and have an incomplete collection. (Damn this collecter-ism! :) )

Detailed Target - Cowboy Bebop OVA? I'm familiar with the TV Series, and I've heard about the movie (I don't think its out yet in Japan, though), but I have yet to hear of an OVA. Did I miss something?

Doh! My bad. You missed nothing at all, I just screwed up. You're right it, was a TV series and not an OVA. God I feel so ashamed now...... :)

Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-ohki! - two series, 13 episodes total. Series 3 should be out shortly. No relation continuity-wise to the movies or TV series. CN shows this from time to time (I think its on Adult Swim right now, although still edited, unfortunately). "Six crazy girls, all under the same roof, all have the hots for Tenchi."
So sayeth the voice of Optimus Prime (the VA CN was using for its Tenchi Toonami ads).
Again with the Tenchi. Oy! heh heh :p

Best OVA series ever made? I like it, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who's acquainted with anime and agrees with that assessment.
pealpe i know from baycon silicon and animamarica ( sci-fi cons) have a greed on bgc being 1 of the best ova series made.

Just remember that its all opinion. I don't think its possible to objectively say [insert preferred anime] is the best.

Just remember that its all opinion. I don't think its possible to objectively say [insert preferred anime] is the best.

Well......actually, I think that it is. _But_ in order to do so, you have to qualify it with certain criteria.

This leads to a phenomena that happened with me and Stigmata. Personally, I did not like that movie (hollywood), but, I do think it was a "good" movie.

So what you end up with is saying something like - 'such and such' is the best 'X' type Anime (or movie or what have you) because (delinate reasons here).

But yes, 99.99999999+% of the time when somebody says that "'X' (no not the anime X) is the best", they are referring to thier personal taste. But, the IMO is implied though.

Back