Gladius could join us, Sabre!

. . "find"? We already know where he is. He's in Sao Paulo, Brazil. And, he has e-mail and such.

But, you can all back off, because I put in my request a long time ago for him to create a flyable model of the ship from my privateer stories.

overmortal said:
. . "find"? We already know where he is. He's in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Well, that narrows it down to about 15 million people or so. :p

Seriously though, overmortal is just bumping old threads out of excitement for having received his Standoff beta. <G>

Eh, sorry if I made it seem like a big deal. It's just another of the beta packages we use internally to make sure everyone's editing the latest files... We've done that since 18-01-03, IIRC.

(What I meant is that this week's package is the first one overmortal got to try out, since he's new on the team).

And I nearly shat my pants, too. It's pretty tight. All the rest of you . . oh man . . . just you wait.

And prepare to get your asses kicked (at first), because it's some pretty tough stuff.

Oh, and, Eder, what are the chances I'll ever see my Black Sun 490 made as a WCP/SO ship . . . barring the option of doing it myself, or having other than you do it?

Well, I figured it was internal cause the servers arent swamped. Pity its not a "final stages" beta though.

Prove me wrong on that last. Please. :)

Chernikov said:
Prove me wrong on that last. Please. :)
Nope, it's still not in final stages. There's one cutscene and two missions still being worked on/debugged... the package is also lacking some fiction and about half of the voiceovers (mostly generic wingman lines).

overmortal said:
And prepare to get your asses kicked (at first), because it's some pretty tough stuff.
Hehe, it's just a bunch of Talons. <G>

overmortal said:
Oh, and, Eder, what are the chances I'll ever see my Black Sun 490 made as a WCP/SO ship . . . barring the option of doing it myself, or having other than you do it?
Honestly, quite slim. I owe Killerwave about a dozen models by now, among other requests from other people. :(

Eder said:
Hehe, it's just a bunch of Talons. <G>

Just a bunch of Talons, eh?

I won't reveal too much of what's going on, as not to give away secrets, but let's just say that, yes, it's a *bunch* of Talons, and light smattering of other, meaner ships, and what you're flying will survive less of a beating than a Tarsus (and you can actually compare this, though the analogy is probably exaggerated). Oh, and, like in Privateer, these Talons *delight* in ganging up behind your ass and beating the wheels off of you. Except now they do it *much* more quickly (and with some damned good voice acting! "Hey, what can I say? I'm a professional!")

And, I dunno if this is a patch, AI tweak, or if I'm just unlucky, but I'm noticing a *high* occurrance of getting shot in the ass by my own wingmen, just like in WC2. And, in that damned Stiletto, that ain't cool. We're talking *one shot* armor damage, folks. That's right. One shot! And, as we all know, WCP/SO has one of those gut-wrenching "unshielded hit" sound effects, just like privateer, so that you involuntarily wince when the screen flashes red and you hear the sound of getting your afterburners shot off.

So, anyway, I hope that's a good teaser for all of you ;) Myself, the beta is just enough to make me wanna play the real thing. Bad.

overmortal said:
I won't reveal too much of what's going on, as not to give away secrets...
Ah, good to see you've picked up on that before I had to edit any posts. :p

overmortal said:
We're talking *one shot* armor damage, folks. That's right. One shot!
Well, one particle cannon shot. :D

And about the Epee, I'm pretty sure it's still the least armored ship around. Stilettos and Ferrets are about half a step above it.

The thing is, the Epee (that we flew in UE) had Tachyon guns. The Stilleto has mass drivers. And, not the fun, blow-some-shit-up-quickly mass drivers like on the Ferret in UE, but some slow, nothing-to-get-in-a-hurry-about mass drivers that leave you tailing one damned ship for a while, while your wingmen get their brakes beaten off, and then the results are really really bad.

It's *quite* a challenging game. I scoffed when I saw that Quarto had gotten his nose bloodied by a Talon on the website, but I soon discovered just how quickly your pretty Stiletto gets turned inside out if you don't pay close attention to who's shooting at you.

In Privateer those Stilettos could take a beating and a half.
Remember that mission where you have to tame about eight of them when transporting that criminal. Good lord.
That mission was a killer. Even if you had bought yourself a fairly high end ship.

Hard? I'm pretty sure that's the entire point of the mod. Not new material, but secretly, the sadistic pleasure of the team as they listen to us whine about the difficulty!

NOT! Just a joke :). For one thing, sadists wouldn't go through the amount of work you guys have done. Great job, guys.

overmortal said:
The thing is, the Epee (that we flew in UE) had Tachyon guns. The Stilleto has mass drivers. And, not the fun, blow-some-shit-up-quickly mass drivers like on the Ferret in UE, but some slow, nothing-to-get-in-a-hurry-about mass drivers that leave you tailing one damned ship for a while, while your wingmen get their brakes beaten off, and then the results are really really bad.

AFAIK, the Standoff Epee has particle cannons.

Back