GE

StarLight

Spaceman
In wc4, seether is a product of the genetic engineering program...
is it something he took or confed did to him, or was it done to his parents so he'd be GE'd or is he a test tube baby?

and when blair was in the telamon system and saw the planet and all with 90% of the ppl dead - dekker said something about it was good about the kilrathi never figuring out about the bioweapons...but in wc3 while in loconda, wasn't those missiles fired off by a destroyer bioweapons and that's why blair had to take 'em down?

and wouldn't it be funny if tolwyn wasn't genetically perfect :) - be like hitler with him saying blonde and blue eyes are the perfect human beings when he had brown hair and like had some sort of jewish in him (i think - that is on the jewish part)

I believe seether was a test tube baby. He didn't have parents. Scientists probably messed with his genes and made him "perfection personified".

The kilrathi missiles were Bioweapons, but not as powerful as the ones that were developed by the Black Lance. And they didn't have the ability to select their victims based on their genes.

ummm, how do you rate power onna bioweapon??
It's all very well saying 'because it kills everthing a lot faster' or sumthin' like that, but is that really power?

Surely a weapon that takes longer is going to invoke more fear, and hence ultimatly have a bigger effect. After all, people (humans in particular) are very sensitive to the suffering they see, at least for the most part. So if your weapon makes people suffer, as opposed to simply wiping them out, surely that will be far more scary for your enemies...

Bloody 'eck! Anyone 'd think I'm some kind of genocidal freak reading this!! AAAAaarrrrrggghh!!!!

:)

Originally posted by StarLight
is it something he took or confed did to him, or was it done to his parents so he'd be GE'd or is he a test tube baby?
There's nothing to indicate weather he had parents or came from the *tube*...

but in wc3 while in loconda, wasn't those missiles fired off by a destroyer bioweapons and that's why blair had to take 'em down?
Dekker doesn't talk about Kilrathi not developing bio weaps, he talks about them not developing ones that can select what they'll kill and what'll be left alive.

The bio weaps the project had were more dangerous than the ones Kilrathi used, even if they didn't kill an entire population of a planet.

and wouldn't it be funny if tolwyn wasn't genetically perfect :) - be like hitler with him saying blonde and blue eyes are the perfect human beings when he had brown hair and like had some sort of jewish in him
What would be funny about that? How can anything that concerns the *project* be funny? Don't people realize that the organization formerly known as black lance is nothing more than the WC4 equivelant of Nazis?

What would be funny about that? How can anything that concerns the *project* be funny? Don't people realize that the organization formerly known as black lance is nothing more than the WC4 equivelant of Nazis?
Ah, but unlike the real Nazis, the Black Lance didn't exist. Well, then again, they do exist - on CDs. They were created for our entertainment. Thus, there is nothing wrong with thinking that there's something funny about them.

I don`t think Nazis in general is a very funny subject.
However there are a few aspects concerning nazism that can be laughed at without doing too much harm.

BTW, TC, about our little WC music deal, I tried uploading files a few days ago and I couldn`t connect to the ftp url, plus, from what I did manage to upload, I`ve seen only 2 files that got posted. What`s up with that?

Er, not wanting to sound uppity, but I really don't find much to laugh about when the Nazism topic is raised, having seen a great deal of material on the holocaust... Except the Hitler cameos on The Simpsons.

Being a rascist bastard is kind of different then weeding out genetically weak people from a species.

What the Black Lance was doing would've happned eventually anyways through natural selection, but the Nazis were just killing Jews so the public could put the blame on someone.

Well no, not really. The Nazis also claimed that the Jews are a genetically weaker subrace. The reasons the Nazis used were the same as those the Black Lance used. And of course, both the Nazis and the Black Lance were based upon a rather dumb concept - that the human species would be made better by reducing its diversity.

...Which is of course a very stupid theory.
Look at dogs for instance:
The more they breed within their own type( e.g Boxer with Boxer), the more they are prone to sickness and genetic deficiencies and such.
A race needs to be as diverse as possible to strengthen, not as pure as possible.
GE might have been good for the short run, but within a 1000 years or so, the gene pool would become polluted with decayed DNA, and the race would die. That`s what I believe at least.

Well actually no. Theres something called the "50 - 500 rule". If a species only has a population of 50 initially, it won't be able to sustain it self for very long. A population of 500 however, will provide enough genetic diversity to sustain the spieces. Remember we're not talking clones here.

So assuming there are enough people around after the Black Lance did their killing, and I'm assuming there would have been. Then the human race may well have been made stronger.

Hmm...

Scientists probably messed with his genes and made him "perfection personified".
And yet he was outfought by an "imperfect" human (i.e. Blair). Though that's probably a matter of skill, now... Blair definitely has more combat experience, and can take down most anybody in a dogfight, gene-modified or not.

What were Seether's chances of winning that battle, though? Were he and Blair almost evenly matched, or did Blair win by a very wide margin, or....... what do you guys think?

Re: Hmm...

Originally posted by Ronin Fox
And yet he was outfought by an "imperfect" human (i.e. Blair). Though that's probably a matter of skill, now... Blair definitely has more combat experience, and can take down most anybody in a dogfight, gene-modified or not.
The GE program was kind of based on Blairs genes, as well as those of other great pilots, so people in charge of the GE project must have though that Blair wasn't that inferior.:)

What were Seether's chances of winning that battle, though? Were he and Blair almost evenly matched, or did Blair win by a very wide margin, or....... what do you guys think?
Well, Blair defeated him only because of Seether being bull headed. He only got him because Seether was toying with Maniac and thought that he had disabled Blair's Lance.

pfft... people have always talked about nazis, both arguing-like and calmly-like.

TC

Re: Hmm...

Originally posted by Ronin Fox

well, i don't know if he's got more experience, seether has also been a pilot for a long time (remmeber the Hawk speech) and even as a rookie he showed great skills.
plus the fact that he was practicly born for life in the cockpit gives him an edge too.

RE: to original post

Starlight: In wc4, seether is a product of the genetic engineering program...

CB: In the novel The Price of Freedom, it p. 306 Tolwyn says to the Black Lance, "You, my friends, the ground crews, and the Infantry battalion are the Second Generation. You are the first to gestate and the first to come of age. Your children born in The Plan's ..." This implies that it was something that Confed did to him since Seether attended the Academy and was transfered. I think what happened was that each of these GEs were born of parents and then the babies that would be GEed had their genes manipulated by scientists -- like what they're doing now here in the U.S. in regards to scientists fixing genes to eliminate cancers since they've cracked the human genome project and how scientists are trying to find ways to enable people to live longer.

I have a question: Blair is part Pilgrim. Deoesn't that make him to kinda be a border worlder? If it does, then he must be quite a perfect one to have his genes used in the GE program, not to mention the fact he survived the Telamon (Sp?) "disaster".

I really wouldn't say they "cracked" the human genome. At best it's only a working draft. There's a lot of stuff they have to fix before it's complete.

Back