First Human Cloned - What do you think?

Lynx

Spaceman
First Human Cloned -What do you think?

Ok, the first human claimed to be cloned is born.

I personally think that the cloning itself could benefit greatly for humanity in certain aspects (like organ replacement, medical issues and such) but it's still too early to use it because we do not fully understand it. But like everything it has it's dark sides.

But it should never be allowed for use to pseudoreligious zealots like the raelian sect.

Your oppinions, please!

Like everything else, it has it's good and bad points. I'll worry a bit more when they are able to transfer peoples memories and personalities to a new clone body. - We'd never be rid of some people then ;)
:D

I never thought in terms of cloning people. I meant it just in medical terms. But you'r right in that point.;)

My feeling is that cloning can either be amazingly good, or horribly terrible. As long as it is watched extremely closely, and kept in the right, moral hands I think it's a wonderful tool to have.

As of right now I think it's foolish for it to be banned. I think we need to do more research to see what can be done with it, and then once we have all the info decide whether or not to ban it. Banning it now is like turning a blind eye to something we know nothing about.

I think it's best to be banned because you're taking a life to save another life. It's like euthenasia (spelling?), I believe it is wrong for older people to kill themselves becaues they think they are useless at that point and sell their body to doctors. Now if we were able to clone without killing off anybody then I might think it's ok. But that stem cell that's being killed is a living organism and we kill it without giving it a chance, like abortion. There's a really good song by Dream Theater that talks about the stem cell research. It's called "The Great Debate." I

I really hate those polls they do on the street asking morons if they approve of cloning or not. Most of the people they find have no idea what it is, what it does or what it's for, but they know it's evil.

Originally posted by Needaham45
...As long as it is...kept in the right, moral hands....
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!......

Yeah, RIGHT.... Hah, that's a good one.... I have one word for ya:
"Frankenbaby"

As of right now I think it's foolish for it to be banned. I think we need to do more research to see what can be done with it, and then once we have all the info decide whether or not to ban it. Banning it now is like turning a blind eye to something we know nothing about.
Wrong.

We know plenty; which is exactly WHY it should be banned. You wanna do it on plants & animals, knock yerself out. But the line needs to be drawn at humans. I paraphrase for you this line from "Jurassic Park":

"...we spend so much effort finding out how it can be done that we haven't asked ourselves if it should be done..."

As long as it is watched extremely closely, and kept in the right, moral hands I think it's a wonderful tool to have.

moral is a relative term.

Originally posted by Preacher
"...we spend so much effort finding out how it can be done that we haven't asked ourselves if it should be done..."

exactly.

cloning is a pandora's (sp?) box. it has been opened, and it will never be shut, even if the world community bans it. now cloning for medical uses, like replacement organs and the like, i think is ok, but cloning people is crossing the line. however, no matter how closely it is watched, there will always be some who will abuse it.

That's true.

But we would be still in the stoneage without new inventions.
The point is, that every new invention since we first used stones as tools was abused if it could be done. The same with cloning. It will benefit greatly, but sooner or later...

Keep in ind that the alleged cloners have produced no proof, and are a cult that thinks all life on Earth was cloned by aliens.

I'm smelling rotting fish here...

just it...they are saying that another baby was cloned by the same group. two clones in damn near as many weeks......somethings not right here. they make another one without waiting to see what happens to the first?

Originally posted by Aries
just it...they are saying that another baby was cloned by the same group. two clones in damn near as many weeks......somethings not right here. they make another one without waiting to see what happens to the first?

Damn fundamentalist cult!

My one and only reply to cloning is still the same:
WHY?

What is the damn use of it? What advantage does it bring to us that we do cloning?
Reproduction of individual organs ok, I see the advantage, but that is not cloning.
Why the heck would I want to duplicate a whole organism (something that still doesn't work BTW - AFAIK no clone so far had the mytrochondrial DNA cloned, just the nuclear)?

So why do it?
* To reproduce. So why not do it the 'normal' way: heck if you are a lesbian then go to a sperm bank and let the egg be fertilized in a clinic.
* To keep your pet forever. To reproduce a dead relative.
LOL - yeah a nice dream. Did you know that a cloned animal won't even LOOK the same as its 'parent'? If you take a cow or a cat for example you'll see that the patterns of the fur will look quite different. On a human the finger prints would not match to mention one example. Not talking about the behaviour which would never be the same. People think that the brain will be restores as it was, but it isn't.
* To gain immortality: again: if you are cloned that is not you. It is just another human. It will probably be as much you as a normal child will be.
* To take it as organ donor or even as body donor. Well that one is indeed the only use for a clone. One has to realize hovever that such a clone would have to grow up 20 years or so before he is of use. By that time he would be a normal sentien human being. So this donor thinking would be murder. There isn't really any way society could justify that IMHO. Not even in quite some distant future.
(not that transplantations of heads to different bodies would not have been tried by now...)

I don't see cloning that much of an ethical problem, but as a rational. There is just no need for it.

Originally posted by cff
My one and only reply to cloning is still the same:
WHY?

What is the damn use of it? What advantage does it bring to us that we do cloning?
Reproduction of individual organs ok, I see the advantage, but that is not cloning.
Why the heck would I want to duplicate a whole organism (something that still doesn't work BTW - AFAIK no clone so far had the mytrochondrial DNA cloned, just the nuclear)?

So why do it?
* To reproduce. So why not do it the 'normal' way: heck if you are a lesbian then go to a sperm bank and let the egg be fertilized in a clinic.

What is you can't do it the nrmal way due to illness or injury?

Originally posted by Meson
What is you can't do it the nrmal way due to illness or injury?

There ist in-vitro fertilisation as cff mentioned. Most people are not that ill or injured to use this. There are even some more
ways to go where cloning is not involved.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
Why? We're animals, too.
Speak fer yerself :D ...

No, seriously:

Biologically, that statement is true. However, we are much more than the sum of our parts, unlike other animals.

Show me a speicies of animals that are made in their Creator's image; have a conscience; are capable of logic and reasoning; can feel compassion, love, sadness, and joy; are capable of building their own dwelling places (on a massive scale); build and use tools (and then use them to build still BETTER tools); can understand and converse in mathematics and music; have free will; defend the helpless, and give their lives to help/save another; who have a self-consciousness and who can somewhat understand and have fellowship with their awesome Creator, and then just MAYbe you'll have a fighting chance of convincing anyone that humans are "just another species" of animal...

...Until then, though, the unique distinctions of humankind mark us as completely "other"...

Back