Fighter numbers

Ladiesman^

Spaceman
Hey, this is mostly directed at LOAF, but i'm sure others know. Could you do a list of the fighters and their numbers. i.e. the one that comes into my head is the movie Dralthi is a KF-100 Dralthi. I'd like to know what is for other fighters.

Maybe you should put that on the ships database too when you update it, LOAF.

KF-100 Dralthi
KF-227 Salthi
KF-402 Krant

CF-105 Scimitar
CF-117 Rapier
CF-131 Broadsword
CF-133 Landing Craft

C-9 Pelican
A-17 Broadsword
A-18 Crossbow
SAR-23 Condor
F-44 Rapier II
SR-51 Seahawk
F-54 Epee
F-57 Sabre
P-64 Ferret
HF-66 Thunderbolt VII
F/A-76 Longbow
TB-80 Devestator
TB-81 Shrike
F-86 Hellcat V
F-103 Excalibur
F-104 Bearcat
F/A-105 Tigershark
F-106 Piranha
F-107 Lance
F-108 Panther
F-109 Vampire
F-110 Wasp

::Whistles:: Damn, Loaf, is this your day job, answering WC questions? What do you get, $7 a post?

3517 * 12 = $42 204 = $A82 753

Ooh, I want!

Seriously, though, I remember we had a big discussion on which mark of Dralthi fighter corresponded to what game. LOAF gave us his answer, and then I remember that the ship list was different. Is this correct?

KF-100 Dralthi class Medium Fighter [WC]
KF-100 Dralthi II class Medium Fighter [SM1]
KF-100 Dralthi III class Light Fighter [ARM]
KF-100 Dralthi IV class Medium Fighter [WC4]
KF-100 Dralthi V class Medium Fighter [WCM]
KF-100 Dralthi VI class Medium Fighter [PRIV]
KF-100 Dralthi VII class Medium Fighter [PRIV]

This sounds right-er...

Dralthi [WC]
Dralthi II [SM2]
Dralthi III [WCM]
Dralthi IV [WC3/4/P]*
Dralthi V [ARM/PG]
Dralthi VI [PRIV]
Dralthi VII [RF]

WCIV and WCP Dralthi are post-war variants, modifications of the existing war-era Dralthi IV.

Why do you even bother meantioning The Movie when you talk about the Games/Books? You just end up making conjecture that doesn't make any sense..

Jesus..

Putting *any* two sources together includes some conjecture... but saying that the movie Dralthi is the Dralthi III because III is the available slot really isn't stretching anything particularly far. I'd be happy to argue politely movie versus games versus books versus whatever with you, but snide comments to the effect of "I DON'T LIKE MOVIE" aren't particularly welcome here.

Well I don't like the movie, but thats not the thing.

The thing is, the movie is blatently different from the games and intentionally different... action marketed for the crowds, just like Academy was marketed towards youth as a cartoon(the idea that they are still in school appeals more to young people).

It does no good putting them together, being that the only thing they were meant to have in common were some character names and the idea of human and Kilrathi battleships and carriers in space fighting each other.

Does it do each material justice to stretch everything to fit each other? In my opinion, it would be much easier and logical to just divide the timeline into two parts.. Movie Chronology and Game Chronology.

I understand, but I don't agree -- I don't think the differences between the movie and the games are any different than, say, the difference between Wing Commander 2 and Wing Commander 3. Every product ever is geared towards a different audience -- but that doesn't mean a stable mythology can't be created.

I udnerstand that people who do'nt like the movie don't want it in the same timeline -- but I think the background created by the games is neccessary for a real appreciation of the movie... if you don't have the story about Lt. Dibbles, how usefull is the reference in the movie? If you don't know Tolwyn and Blair's history, how historic is their handshake? If you don't know about McAuliffe, how can you appreciate that the Kilrathi are at war with us? Certainly there are differences -- and the games may stand without the movie... but the movie, in my opinion, does not stand without the games.

Oh yeah, if you hadn't been familiar with the games the movie would make no sense whatsoever.

I have mixed feelings about the movie. It wasn't entirely terrible, but it tore apart the continuity that WC had. Like the very fact of the Pilgrim war...in a few sources it was said that humanity was at peace for like a century before the Kilrathi war. Then the Pilgrim war is thrown in. Also, Tolywn is noted as having served in the Pilgrim War. But Tolywn had just graduated from the academy when the Kilrathi war began.

As I post this, i'm doubting my facts. If I did get that wrong, which I suspect I did feel free to scrutinze me. I seemed to have misplaced my Confederation Handbook at the moment.

I thought the movie was great. It was far better than I expected it to be. All my friends loved it too.

Yeah, I yelled, "Tooner!" after Rosie mentions Dibbles. My little brother looked at me funny for about an hour (as did everyone in the theatre :) ).

Frankly, I also feel that the movie is in an alternate continuum from the games. I consciously accept that the movie is in the same continuum with the games, and will argue for that...but I really don't think they're the same. Maybe we should ask Chris Roberts...

I have no idea offhand how Tolwyn could serve under Blair and still be in the Academy...he could have been shipped out junior year, like many cadets, but then how could you have guys like More arguing for disarmament? But then, during the False Peace, you had people like, er, what's her name...you know, she had a son who died...crap, I got Fleet Action yesterday and I don't know her name! Oh, well, you know who I mean. At any rate, she argued for disarmament right after the Kilrathi called for an armistace...

Query: Why do you consider a book written by Bill Forstchen more canon than a movie directed by Chris Roberts? (Action Stations beind the source of the 'century of peace' quotation -- which actually refers to wars with aliens... clearly, as the Commando 6 stuff in AS itself proves, there have been many minor conflicts).

You're right regarding Tolwyn serving with the Grand Fleets while at the Academy -- it just wasn't a war anywhere near as major as that against the Kilrathi.

Good point about what to consider canon. But if I were to say "The battle of earth never happend!" i'd be run out of the place. The books are just generally accepted as canon. The movie is, also, but alot of people don't think it is. I don't know too many people who don't consider the novels canon.

And it's also much easier to dismiss some things in the movie simply because it is visual. Some people are like, "The Tigers Claw didn't look like that!". In the book, they can just mention it and everyone's happy.

Anyway, I personally think it's hard to accept everything in the movie. Not the actor changes or even the different looking ships. That could be expected to an extent. But it's the changing of the back history that got me. I really don't like the Pilgrim thing. If it was something that big, it should have come up before. I know everything came out before the movie, but to throw that in and then expect it to fit with the rest of the universe is crazy.

I like whoever-it-was's idea i've seen on the CZ before that the movie is actually like a movie they would be watching in WC. Like a "historical fiction" that the crew of the Midway or something would watch. That was an intresting little idea for whoever said that.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^
Anyway, I personally think it's hard to accept everything in the movie. Not the actor changes or even the different looking ships. That could be expected to an extent. But it's the changing of the back history that got me. I really don't like the Pilgrim thing. If it was something that big, it should have come up before. I know everything came out before the movie, but to throw that in and then expect it to fit with the rest of the universe is crazy.

Your belief that all that Pilgrim business was somehow a change in the backstory operates on rather fuzzy logic.

You're assuming that since it wasn't mentioned to you before, it obviously didn't exist until the movie was made. Trouble is, it actually can't interfere with the backstory for one simple reason: Nothing - no book, TV show, game manual, in-game conversation - ever specifically stated, "The Pilgrim War never occurred, Pilgrims never did and do not exist, and Christopher Blair is in no way related to one."

Using your rules of deduction, I can assume that World War II never happened until my History teacher told me. Which would be a terrible thing for a teacher to do to all those millions of people in the past. See what I mean?

[Edited by Frosty on 05-08-2001 at 16:06]

Frosty's correct. You might be ignorant about it, but just because your ignorant doesn't mean it isn't true.

Back