Features?

Not titled

Hey, I know this game is going for a Privateer kind of feel, which is wonderful, cause that was a good game. But could an effort be made to justify the ship configurations of the original Wing Commander? I would love any excuse to be able to fly the old Hornet again, and I'd hate to have to worry about wether or not that's actually the optimal configuration for the ship.

I just thought how "living" will your game be?
Will their be a economic changes for prizes or availibility of goods? Do you plan on integrating some kind of merchant guilds you can join, pirate "empires" that fight each other or even progress of the war?
I think it would be a cool feature to have a progress of the war over time so that system change their owner during the war and so you have to adept to the new market changes.
Another nice thing would be that you have hugh military fleets passing through the system and you are able to supply them with whatever they might need.
I mean just imagine a Bengal carrier with a supporting fleet on its way to the frontlines and that your support might change the way the war is going.
Also would it be fun/interesting to have the possibility to do scouting missions for confed and then have the possibility to sell these information to confed. Or beeing a merchant that makes a blockade run to supply some marines with weapons/food or other stuff.

So how much live or interactivity do you plan to do? How importend is the player in this universe that you are doing?

while that would be really cool to have going on, the bulk of that you wouldn't exactly see out in the landreich. Progress of the war would be neat, but ultimately a fairly complicated bit of stuff to keep track of, and also, i dont know of much hand changing out int he landreich also, other than confed systems becoming landreich systems.

we plan to have a fairly robust trade/economic system though. something like, where if you are a pirate and shoot up a convoy, then a planet will suffer shortages, that sort of thing, and then you can go somewhere, pick up whatever you just made that planet short of, and sell it for a lot of money.

Hi!

First of all, great job! Iam really looking forward to the game.

And do me one favour: Make the game run on a Win 2000 PC.

Anotehr suggestion I have is about the Ship desine. Inside and outside.

Not to get me wrong, it looks great but some details seemed to be put arround just randomly without meaning, just to makee it look more "futuristic"

Liek here:
https://cdn.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/wcpioneer44.jpg

Dozens of lights with sure not ,uch meaning and then on the "wall" all those little "Plates" and "Pieces". Having something made of lot of single parts it makes it unstable. This counts for the inside AND outside.
So maybe You can use instead the "outfit" of todays Fighters like Eurofighter or F-18. I know if they are not made out of one piece, but it's not that "Puzzle-stile" you use. (sorry :D)
I am a perso nwho looks at details and even i they give something to the atmosphere and make a snese in a kind of way. Even if you can't expalin them, because it is an "utopic-tomorrow-technology".
If you like to have some suggestions about it, write me a Message. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ColonelFireball said:
Dozens of lights with sure not ,uch meaning and then on the "wall" all those little "Plates" and "Pieces". Having something made of lot of single parts it makes it unstable. This counts for the inside AND outside.
So maybe You can use instead the "outfit" of todays Fighters like Eurofighter or F-18. I know if they are not made out of one piece, but it's not that "Puzzle-stile" you use. (sorry :D)
I am a perso nwho looks at details and even i they give something to the atmosphere and make a snese in a kind of way. Even if you can't expalin them, because it is an "utopic-tomorrow-technology".
If you like to have some suggestions about it, write me a Message. :)

I in turn consider this "puzzle texture" nice and i wouldn't change it for solid one-piece plate of steel. Leave it as it is.

Right.. it looks nifty, and more than that, it's fairly in line with Wing Commander cockpit architecture. I can appreciate your eye for detail, but as LOAF said in the other thread, "realistic" in this context is to be as close to Wing Commander as possible, not as close to what our 2006 concept of what real life future space ships will be like.

Plasteel Skull said:
I in turn consider this "puzzle texture" nice and i wouldn't change it for solid one-piece plate of steel. Leave it as it is.

i agree, this is how the cockpits are in wing commander, in fact its how the whole ships are constructed in wing commander too (look at an Arrow for example, it has many lines and "puzzle" peices) and making it smooth sheets of metal the cockpits would look pretty bland.

keep up the good work guys

Vermin

Vermin said:
i agree, this is how the cockpits are in wing commander, in fact its how the whole ships are constructed in wing commander too (look at an Arrow for example, it has many lines and "puzzle" peices) and making it smooth sheets of metal the cockpits would look pretty bland.

keep up the good work guys

Vermin
I agree, cockpits should be based on art, not realism.

So maybe You can use instead the "outfit" of todays Fighters like Eurofighter or F-18. I know if they are not made out of one piece, but it's not that "Puzzle-stile" you use. (sorry )

nose_of_space_shuttle_explorer_mock_up.jpg

Your bathroom wouldn't look so hot if it'd been to space and back a few dozen times either.

Bandit LOAF said:

Yes, and how does that look to you? And you think in a Universe like that of WIng Commander where they have new materials and shield-generators they still use that technique to protect the ships?

That Why it wopuld be better to take desings for other sci-fir series or Milliatary-Figters and NOT Space Shuttles or the present. :)

And you got me wrong with the design: It is npz about realism, it is a about "beaty wannabe-realism".
I don't want to say it looks bad, but it looks just if you have put all the lights and displays randomly arround.
I just think there is a kid of misunderstanding here

O.k. i know an example: Take X3: I don't think you would call the fighter and ships ugly in that game.
If you are hinest this game has an amazing graphic. And you don't the that (much) "puzzle-architetkure"
And there are a lot of ships who also could fit into the Wing Commander Universe.
I don't know how the ships look from the inside, but from the outside they look superb. And if you have seen the self-running demo or you have palyed the game, you must (or should :D) agree.

Pioneer will be a good game. I just say to MAYBE reoverthink some details of the shipdesigns (textures)

There is a misunderstanding, but I don't think its on the part of other posters.

The ship/cockpit designs in Pioneer as they stand are based on or inspired by existing designs in official WC games. Making them "realistic" would be taking away one of the stylistic touches that helps make a WC game "Wing Commander".

(I'm also not keen on how some folks [including EA, at that] seem to be trying to map 20th/21st century existing technology onto WC's "WW2 in space", personally, but that's another thread entirely.)

ColonelFireball said:
And there are a lot of ships who also could fit into the Wing Commander Universe.
I don't know how the ships look from the inside, but from the outside they look superb. And if you have seen the self-running demo or you have palyed the game, you must (or should :D) agree.

Pioneer will be a good game. I just say to MAYBE reoverthink some details of the shipdesigns (textures)

ok - the cockpits should be consitant too the wing commander universe.

Wing Commander 1 (wires and buttons and lights and panels)-
wc1_sc2.jpg

Privateer Remake (wires and buttons and lights and panels)-
privremake1.jpg

Wing Commander 3 - (wires and buttons and lights and panels)
wc3-1994.gif

Privateer - (side shot)
privateer3s.jpg

so if pioneer takes place in the same universe and time line as the other games in the series it should have the same continuity in the cockpits and at present it does and it looks amazing.

and anyway... eurofigther cockpit....
cockpit_DSCN2056.jpg

has millions of lights and buttons which too the normal person look just like a bunch of lights and buttons, in my opinion anyway.

theres no need too change the cockpit style at all.

Vermin

Man, I've always wanted my own crew... I just don't trust them wingmen.

I don't know if anyone's asked this, but how will the game be to steer by mouse?
Unfortunately I stopped buying joysticks after a few budget purchases (the kinds that start getting uncalibratable after a few weeks).

Also, will you be able to tell that lvl1 turret man to tractor something in for you? (by targeting the object, steering close enough and giving an order)

Back