Favorite Wingman?

I just know that, up through wc3, I always sent my wingmen home. They weren't any help, I hated seeing them lose valuable ships, I hated them possibly stealing my kills, and they were always begging for help. Worthless. Go HOME, idiots!

In WCP, they actually helped out some, when in large enough numbers. Sadly, they also had a habit of dying a lot. Shame. I always disliked that because they had actual wingmen, not just a "piranha" flying around. And all your wingmen had different voices/personalities. And, when they died, their name was relisted on the flight roster as "kia". And you couldn't send them home if you knew they wouldn't last. That bugged me. But, they usually did a good job of keeping morays off my back when I was in a shrike. That helps!

Actually, I was a kill-hog in WC1/2. That was the only reason why I sent them home. :)

WCP wingmen were useful in keeping the numerous enemies occupied, but I also disliked having KIAs on my killboard - it's a pain trying to keep them from dying during capship strikes.

I hate KIA's on the Killboard. Every single time I go up against a Fralthi II in WC3 Someone dies. Or they ask to get sent home, and won't go when I tell them too. Sometimes they help, usually Maniac, Vagabond, and Hobbes can rack up the kills easily.

I just completed a game of Prophecy where I kept EVERYONE alive except for Dallas and Hawk, which sucked, because I liked them both, Hawk owned in WC4, too.

Wedge009 said:
I don't think Stingray and Jazz would ever obey a return to base call.

Maniac is a nut, he seldom obeys you unless it's a call to break and attack. By contrast, Spirit and Angel would listen to you, IIRC.

You're probably thinking about their on-ship, cinematic characters. Stingray and Jazz always had some smart, confrontational remarks on the ship, but on your wing they always obeyed orders (at least on my WC2!?). Spirit and Angel would obey any attack command, but tell em to back off and all you'd hear is "No Captain!" and "No! I cannot!" (respectively.)

I suppose that does go along with your other dubious achievement -- being the biggest idiot at a WC chat board.

overmortal said:
I just know that, up through wc3, I always sent my wingmen home. They weren't any help, I hated seeing them lose valuable ships, I hated them possibly stealing my kills, and they were always begging for help. Worthless. Go HOME, idiots!

In WCP, they actually helped out some, when in large enough numbers. Sadly, they also had a habit of dying a lot. Shame. I always disliked that because they had actual wingmen, not just a "piranha" flying around. And all your wingmen had different voices/personalities. And, when they died, their name was relisted on the flight roster as "kia". And you couldn't send them home if you knew they wouldn't last. That bugged me. But, they usually did a good job of keeping morays off my back when I was in a shrike. That helps!

I never understood that though. In the earlier games, wingmen were useless but immortal, but in the later ones they were talented and vulnerable. What gives?

I actually like seeing KIAs and AWOLs and other such markings on the kill board. Something about losing pilots makes me feel like there's a real war going on: their mortality enhances the idea that there are real stakes being played here, no matter how artificial it may seem.

Bandit LOAF said:
I suppose that does go along with your other dubious achievement -- being the biggest idiot at a WC chat board.

Now now, good Loaf, if I'm so stupid, don't stoop to my level and start accusing me. That would make you just as stupid as me, wouldn't it? Oh, wait . . too late . . you've already accused me. Congratulations! I think you owe yourself a pat on the back.

ourchair said:
I actually like seeing KIAs and AWOLs and other such markings on the kill board. Something about losing pilots makes me feel like there's a real war going on: their mortality enhances the idea that there are real stakes being played here, no matter how artificial it may seem.

I agree. While I can't exactly say that it's more 'realistic' (Because c'mon, it's WC :p ) - It does make it appear like it isn't simply a one-sided war. In battle, people died all the time. It's what war is, and the most dire of consequences. That's why I liked it a lot when Bossman died in WC1: Secret Missions 2 (or was it 1?). I recall you coming home from a mission and Halcyon telling you that Angel and Bossman were jumped by a large force of Drakhai, Angel sustaining injury while Bossman was KIA. I thought this really added to the game, due to the fact here was this family man, someone to look up to on the ship, and then bang. No more. I think that added realism is important in these sorts of games.

overmortal said:
Now now, good Loaf, if I'm so stupid, don't stoop to my level and start accusing me. That would make you just as stupid as me, wouldn't it? Oh, wait . . too late . . you've already accused me. Congratulations! I think you owe yourself a pat on the back.

You're not an idiot if you insult people - you're an idiot if you're stupid.

TheLowlyDog said:
I just completed a game of Prophecy where I kept EVERYONE alive except for Dallas and Hawk, which sucked, because I liked them both, Hawk owned in WC4, too.
Or you could make sure you tried to get as many pilots killed as possible until you run into a glitch in the program where you don't have enough pilots to fly the mission.

What I never got was the bits in the manual explaining "Active" or KIA and MIA, yet you never see MIA except in the manual.

Back